PDA

View Full Version : Any tips to get to GBS-Negative?

BayGirl2
07-26-2011, 07:29 PM
I was GBS+ with DS. I had a really long labor and 3 doses of antibiotics - by the third one I was starting to refuse them. I'm not allergic, but the penicillin burned going into my arm and it generally just exacerbated an already very difficult labor.

I have my test in 3 weeks and I really, really want to be negative this time. If I am positive I will have the antibiotics, I've read the research and it seems worth it for the baby. My OB says I should ask them to push the drugs slower, to avoid the burning.

I'm trying to do whatever I can to have a negative test. I've heard probiotics help, so I've been eating yogurt or taking a supplement daily for the last couple weeks. I'm trying to practice "good hygene" down in that area. Is there anything else I can do? I just want to take this one issue off the table so I can labor at home longer, with my doula, and not have the pressure to get to the hospital in early enough for the treatment.

Tondi G
07-26-2011, 08:33 PM
I read this

Some practitioners of natural medicine have suggested supplements for the mother in an effort to eradicate GBS prior to delivery. One suggestion is that, when a woman tests positive for GBS, she should take a course of garlic, vitamin C, echinacea, and/or bee propolis, and then be re-tested to determine if she is still carrying GBS. Any supplements that a pregnant woman considers taking should first be discussed with a homeopathic or naturopathic physician or other knowledgeable practitioner of natural medicine.

I know that colloidal silver is also an antibacterial option but not sure about using it while pregnant.

amldaley
07-26-2011, 10:09 PM
I am struggling with how to answer your OP. Are you saying that you want to try to get rid of the Strep B by 37 weeks or just pass the test whether you have it or not?

In so many other instances, I am all for homeopathic remedies. But the risks of passing the infection to your baby are huge. I get it that the penicillin may burn...I had it, too. But I would be horrified if I passed it to baby.

The other issue is, if you test positive and still try the homeopathic remedies, you still need to retest before laboring, so...will your insurance pay for a second test?

There are websites out there with good homeopathic info on GBS

http://groupbstrep-ivil.tripod.com/id20.html

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/groupbstrepinfection.html

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/967/group-b-strep

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbsAlt.html

For me, personally, the risks outweigh the discomfort of antibiotics. I don't believe in overusing antibiotics but in some instances, they are the preferred.

Melanie
07-26-2011, 11:39 PM
I tried all sorts of things to no avail. Sorry.

ETA: Strangely, I LOVED the IV abx. I know, it's bizarre. But it was a hot day and it felt like ice running through my veins each time.

BayGirl2
07-27-2011, 01:14 AM
I am struggling with how to answer your OP. Are you saying that you want to try to get rid of the Strep B by 37 weeks or just pass the test whether you have it or not?

I want to get rid of Strep B (if I have it) before the test and delivery. I agree that if I am positive, the risks to the baby outweigh the pain of the antibiotics. If I do test positive I will go with the antibiotics and probably wouldnt retest unless my dr areed with that. I'd just rather not have the issue at all.

Thanks for the sites. I did a quick google earlier and didn't find much. I'm not so sure about homeopathy while pregnant either, but I'm willing to research it a bit.

AnnieW625
07-27-2011, 02:06 AM
With DD1 I was GBS+ and I had penicilin. The penicilin burn was bad for the first five minutes or so when they had to replace the bag, and in the end I also had pitocin which made the pencilin burn worse, but for me the penicilin was worth it to know that the baby wouldn't get infected. DD2 was GBS-, and I ate entirely the same foods and probably ate a tad more organic foods with DD1 so I have no clue as to why I was + with one, and - with the other.

Melanie
07-27-2011, 02:10 AM
My MWs mentioned you can go between positive and negative at various times and really didn't think a negative test early in the pregnancy was safe to trust anyhow.

essnce629
07-27-2011, 03:42 AM
I was GBS+ with DS1 and had no issues (and no antibiotics). But I also had a homebirth and homebirth midwives follow a different protocol when it comes to being GBS+. There's 2 protocols when it comes to testing and treating GBS. Most hospitals follow the policy where every single woman is tested around 37 weeks and then those that are positive are given multiple doses of IV antibiotics during labor (once when you're admitted and then every 4 hours till the birth). The other protocol is to not screen women for GBS during pregnancy (since you can be GBS+ one week and negative the next), but to give antibiotics to any woman with one of these risk factors present during labor: 1) preterm birth before 37 weeks, 2) fever of 100.4 or higher during labor, or 3) water broken longer than 18 hours. Homebirth midwives follow the second protocol and usually give you the option to test for GBS or not. I chose to test both times and was positve with DS1 and negative with DS2. I didn't have any risk factors and had a super fast birth with DS1 and my water was only broken for 5 minutes before he was born so treating it was never even a possibility since there would have been no time even if I wanted to. The second time around I took a really good probiotic specific for the female reproductive tract and did garlic suppositories which is why I think I was negative. I also took a vitamin C supplement as well. Probiotics help make sure you are colonized with good bacteria and not an overgrowth of the bad and garlic is naturally antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal. I wanted to avoid antibiotics at all cost since taking antibiotics during labor can lead to a vaginal yeast infection for mom (which I already had issues with) and oral yeast infection (thrush) in the baby. I would definately get the probiotic Femdophilus, which is what I took and start taking it now. Whole Foods has it and probably most health food stores, but it is cheapest on Vitacost. It's also great for those prone to UTIs and yeast infections. It's the only probiotic with bacteria that is specific for female reproductive tract health. This is it: http://www.vitacost.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Fem-Dophilus

I personally would only consent to the antibiotics if I had one of the risk factors. But homebirthers also don't have many vaginal exams during pregnany or labor (I had one total during each birth) and membrane stripping and breaking ones water are definately not routine like it is in many hospital births. This alone, greatly reduces the chance of bacteria in the vagina and rectum from being moved up into the cervix and uterus.

This site is really good at explaining GBS: http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/group-b-streptococcus.html

This is the garlic remedy that I used (also works great for yeast infections)
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/garlic.asp

amldaley
07-27-2011, 06:31 AM
I want to get rid of Strep B (if I have it) before the test and delivery. I agree that if I am positive, the risks to the baby outweigh the pain of the antibiotics. If I do test positive I will go with the antibiotics and probably wouldnt retest unless my dr areed with that. I'd just rather not have the issue at all.

Thanks for the sites. I did a quick google earlier and didn't find much. I'm not so sure about homeopathy while pregnant either, but I'm willing to research it a bit.

Phew...ok, I gotcha now!

Yeah, Googling for sites was ODD. 'Strep B curable' produced nothing worthy. And 'GBS homeopathic' produced decent stuff mixed in with a bunch of results for Guillian Barre Syndrome. I would have thought this would have been a more popular search with better results.

HIU8
07-27-2011, 09:52 AM
I was GB positive with DS and DD. With DS they gave me penicillin and it BURNED so bad. The OB delivering was on call b/c mine was out of town that weekend. I asked for the med to be changed and the OB refused. I told my OB about it and she said of course they could have changed it to amoxicillin which would have burned less. With DD the orders for the hospital said amoxicillin. However, DD came to fast and both DD and I got the meds AFTER she was born.