PDA

View Full Version : My baby pinches me while she nurses

swissair81
07-26-2011, 10:27 PM
It appears to be a comfort thing, but it Hurts. So. Much. I have little itty bruises all over my upper arms from her 'loving' me. I've tried taking her hands away and saying no firmly (like I've done for biting issues), but it doesn't work. Any suggestions?

TwinFoxes
07-26-2011, 10:34 PM
My DD would pat me. Maybe guide her hand to pat you instead? (it was very sweet, and added to the nursing high I already experienced).

Trigglet
07-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Have you tried a nursing necklace for her to fiddle with? My DS pinches and twiddles and pats, and nothing I do really seems to make much difference, but I've heard others have had success with something like this

http://www.etsy.com/listing/78176717/organic-nursing-teething-necklace-purple?ref=sr_gallery_36&ga_search_submit=&ga_ref=auto&ga_search_query=nursing+necklace&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

Good luck, and I feel your pain!! :wink2:

Clarity
07-26-2011, 11:03 PM
My dd2 did that too and sometimes I really disliked nursing her because of it. (I nursed her 20 months despite her painful habit.)

What worked best for me was to just held her hand. I'd stroke her hand, massage it, anything to keep her from pinching. I'd end a nursing session with a short "no pinch" if she pinched me. After a few times, I could say "no pinch" as we nursed and it would help her remember not to pinch me.

I'd almost forgotten about her pinching habit until I saw your post. I had a flashback! LOL Here was my post: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=327429

happymom
07-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Have you tried a nursing necklace for her to fiddle with? My DS pinches and twiddles and pats, and nothing I do really seems to make much difference, but I've heard others have had success with something like this

http://www.etsy.com/listing/78176717/organic-nursing-teething-necklace-purple?ref=sr_gallery_36&ga_search_submit=&ga_ref=auto&ga_search_query=nursing+necklace&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

Good luck, and I feel your pain!! :wink2:

:yeahthat: Just what I was going to suggest!

DrSally
07-27-2011, 12:21 AM
I second the nursing necklace suggestion. When you say "no", do you also end the nursing session? That is the greatest motivator. I know it feels harsh, but you'll only have to do it a few times (and you can resume a new session in 10 min or so if she's still hungry).

momm
07-27-2011, 06:46 AM
Sigh. I totally hear you. Mine is only a month younger than yours, and he has learnt to do this as well. He actually pulls away, looks at me, and pinches my nipple. Gee, thanks, kid.

I've been saying a firm "NO" to him as well, and stopping the nursing for a few minutes. I hope he learns what it means soon enough.

marymoo86
07-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Mine does this nursing and sometimes when I am carrying her. Mostly she pats but sometimes her little claws scratch my neck too. How can such little nails be so sharp?!

babyfiorina1
07-27-2011, 12:04 PM
DD is doing the same thing too. I know what you mean. It HURTS!!! and I have bruises too. I will try to take her hand away and let her play with my fingers. I notice that she just wants to touch or hold something. She is constantly doing this "raking" motion with her fingers. I know she's just exploring with her fingers. It works sometimes, but off and on, she still pinches me. My hubby was pinched too when he carried her. Oh well!

sunnyside
07-27-2011, 02:07 PM
My girl does this too sometimes and I try to have her doll there for her to mess with, or a nursing necklace.

DrSally
07-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Yep, doll, nursing necklace, special blankie. It's a great time to introduce a lovey. DS used to squick his little duckie while nursing (it had beads in it that gave it texture). Not saying that he didn't pinch me, but this gives him something else to do.

swissair81
07-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions! Most appreciated! I think I'm going to buy a nursing necklace. It seems to make the most sense.

newg
07-27-2011, 10:17 PM
I bought a nursing necklace......doesn't totally solve the problem, but it sure helps!! I got this one at a local baby boutique:
http://store.chewbeads.com/Default.asp
The only thing about it I don't like is that it kinda catches my hair if I don't have it up in a pony.
But the pros far outweigh the cons!!

twowhat?
07-27-2011, 11:26 PM
LOL DD1 did this too - she'd roll the pinch of skin between her fingers. I replaced my skin with a blanket. Today she still rolls her blanket between her fingers when she's really tired, upset, etc.

cono0507
07-27-2011, 11:34 PM
I hear you!
My DD pinched my neck when we nursed and after she weaned, she'd still do it as we rocked at bedtime until close to 2. When MIL watched her for a weekend when she was almost 1.5 yrs old, she did it to her too. Now she is almost 4 and she pinches her own neck now when she sucks her other thumb when she falls asleep at night.

It helped me make sure her nails were always trimmed because she'd draw blood if they weren't!

s7714
07-28-2011, 12:39 AM
I'd try a nursing necklace to start with. My niece did the pinching thing to her mom when she was a baby and to this day (she's now almost 4 years old) she pinches whoever is putting her to sleep. Only she likes to pinch the web spot between your thumb and index finger which ironically is a acupressure point. You can always tell when she's tired because she'll walk around pinching herself in that spot.

citymama
07-28-2011, 01:08 AM
Mine scratches me and sometimes pinches. Doesn't help you, but at least you're not suffering alone!

swissair81
07-28-2011, 08:09 AM
I second the nursing necklace suggestion. When you say "no", do you also end the nursing session? That is the greatest motivator. I know it feels harsh, but you'll only have to do it a few times (and you can resume a new session in 10 min or so if she's still hungry).

I missed this suggestion before. I probably have to do that. I hate to do it, but you're probably right about the motivation.