PDA

View Full Version : Backpack size suggestion for Land's End, PB and LL Bean

emilys_mom
07-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Last year I bought my oldest DD a PB McKenzie backpack in the small size for Kinder. It held up well, but will be too small to hold the papers, etc. we need for first grade, so I'm shopping for a new one (hopefully to last for a few years). I could go up a size at PB (and do love the way they clip in front) but LE and LL Bean are getting such good reviews here, I wanted to know what size I should be looking for if I go that route. Any thoughts on size and opinions on the best one?

anonomom
07-27-2011, 08:46 AM
We just bought the Study Haul for my DD, who is entering Kindergarten. It looks like it's more than big enough to hold folders, binders, etc. It says it's for kids 4 feet to 5 foot 3, but she's 46 inches and it fits her fine (a little large, but not grotesquely so). I think we'll just have to make sure she doesn't overload it.

artvandalay
07-27-2011, 09:18 AM
I would suggest the L.L.Bean Original Book Pack.

We have this for my son who was in K last year, it was the perfect size because he would bring home full sized folders. He would occasionally need to bring in additional clothes or extra pair of shoes (if he was wearing boots) and everything fit perfectly. Lots of organization, side pocket for water botte, and the construction/durability has been wonderful. It looks brand new and he is really rough with it, I've seen him throw it down/across the lawn/driveway. I would not go any smaller, although my son is pretty tall for his age.

HIU8
07-27-2011, 10:26 AM
I got two of the bigger one (big haul I believe) for DD and DS. It's really not that much bigger and can hold coats, lunchboxes and changes of clothes which is what they both need it for (in addition to artwork, school papers etc...).

Kindra178
07-27-2011, 10:41 AM
We just bought the Study Haul for my DD, who is entering Kindergarten. It looks like it's more than big enough to hold folders, binders, etc. It says it's for kids 4 feet to 5 foot 3, but she's 46 inches and it fits her fine (a little large, but not grotesquely so). I think we'll just have to make sure she doesn't overload it.

This is what we did. The Studyhaul is slightly big on my 45 inch ds but we expect it to last a couple of years AND he will be toting winter gear come December. We have the McKenzie Small too, but I decided it won't work for K due to the winter issue. I posted this elsewhere, but the Studyhaul is actually lighter weight than the Mckkenzie. The Studyhaul also has a water bottle pocket, which is why I didn't get the LL Bean one.

Canna
07-27-2011, 11:23 AM
I would probably say the LL Bean original or Critter Pack. I just ordered the Critter pack for my 6 y.o. entering 1st grader.

If your child is on the petite side, the LL Bean original junior might also be a really appropriately sized pack. It is not a teesy tiny backpack. DD had one for three years and it easily fit a folder, library book, lunch and snack bags. I definitely think she could use it for first grade+ but hers (light pink) is showing dirt and I have caved and ordered her a new one in the Critter which is a bigger size. The Original Junior is a great size, though. Right now she's using it at camp where she has to have a small backpack for taking her lunch while hiking. It's large enough that an adult can carry it without looking like you have a tiny pack on.

The Critter is a really great size and a very nice backpack. I actually bought myself one recently in green at the outlet and I LOVE it. It's a perfect size for me 5'6" adult woman so I think it will last my DD (tall 6 y.o.) a long time, but it might be too big for a more petite child.

emilys_mom
07-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the super helpful responses. This is exactly the kind of info I need.

Looks like I should be looking at the Study Haul for sure on the LE side. I like that it has a water bottle pocket. For LL Bean, has anyone used the Original Plus Book Pack? It looks a little bigger, but has an extra compartment for extra clothes and a water bottle pocket on the outside. We do have to pack extra shoes, and a coat, etc. in winter, so I do need to consider her carrying that plus books and folders.

Another quick question, I am thinking of monogramming with either initials or just a last name. Is one considered safer than another? Things tend to get misplaced between school and daycare so I like the idea of a permanent way of marking it.

Kindra178
07-27-2011, 12:19 PM
I did initials on the Studyhaul.

AnnieW625
07-27-2011, 12:21 PM

:yeahthat: I think it's a great size for kindergartners. The Small Haul which I was thinking of getting was pretty tiny. I have been meaning to stuff DD1's with stuff and post a photo of it I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

This is our second Lands End pack, we got the first one when she was 2/1/2 and I don't know the name of that one, but it's not much smaller than the Study Haul or it's just about the same size.

We didn't get initials done. I will most likely put a luggage tag or a name label from Name Bubbles on it instead. I have another girl and I'd prefer to have the option to reuse it so I decided not to monogram it.

Canna
07-27-2011, 01:29 PM
I like that it has a water bottle pocket. For LL Bean, has anyone used the Original Plus Book Pack? It looks a little bigger, but has an extra compartment for extra clothes and a water bottle pocket on the outside. We do have to pack extra shoes, and a coat, etc. in winter, so I do need to consider her carrying that plus books and folders.

Another quick question, I am thinking of monogramming with either initials or just a last name. Is one considered safer than another? Things tend to get misplaced between school and daycare so I like the idea of a permanent way of marking it.

The Original Plus and the Critter have nearly the same volume in cubic inches (1750 vs 1737) but the Original Plus is listed for ages 9 and up while the Critter is rated 7 and up. Not sure why. The biggest difference is the depth dimension of the Original Plus is 9 inches versus 6.5 inches on the Critter - maybe they feel the very deep pack wouldn't be ergonomic for littler kids?

Aishe
07-27-2011, 03:53 PM
I would probably say the LL Bean original or Critter Pack. I just ordered the Critter pack for my 6 y.o. entering 1st grader.

If your child is on the petite side, the LL Bean original junior might also be a really appropriately sized pack. It is not a teesy tiny backpack. DD had one for three years and it easily fit a folder, library book, lunch and snack bags. I definitely think she could use it for first grade+ but hers (light pink) is showing dirt and I have caved and ordered her a new one in the Critter which is a bigger size. The Original Junior is a great size, though. Right now she's using it at camp where she has to have a small backpack for taking her lunch while hiking. It's large enough that an adult can carry it without looking like you have a tiny pack on.

The Critter is a really great size and a very nice backpack. I actually bought myself one recently in green at the outlet and I LOVE it. It's a perfect size for me 5'6" adult woman so I think it will last my DD (tall 6 y.o.) a long time, but it might be too big for a more petite child.

So do you think the Critter would be okay for an incoming kindergartner? DD is almost 5.5 and she's about 75th percentile for height. She loves the blue Critter that's on sale right now, but the fact that it says for ages 7 and up is giving me pause. Also, she said she could live with the Original Jr that's only $10 right now (the pink with lime fish) and obviously I prefer that price! But if we'll be able to use the Critter longer - and it wouldn't be too huge right now - that could change my mind.

Canna
07-27-2011, 09:27 PM
For $10 I think I'd get the fish pack. It's a nice size and I think at that price even if you use it for school just for a year or two and then for travel, holding activities, car, etc you'll have got your money's worth. I love the pink fish - I bought it for DD # 2 and it is adorable.

emilys_mom
07-27-2011, 10:29 PM
The butterfly critter is so cute. I hadn't even looked at those.

emilys_mom
07-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Darn - just checked the critter and it is very close in size to the one she has. I'm going to show DD the Study Haul and Bookpack patterns and see if she has a preference. You guys are awesome!