PDA

View Full Version : Bottle recommendations?

GoBlue
07-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Hi-

DD2 is 1 month old (eek!) and I'm looking into bottles for when she starts day care at the end of September. With DD1, we used the BPA free Avent bottles, and I intend to reuse those (I assume I should get new nipples....they were used for a year from May 2009-May 2010). But I want to get more bottles so we're not washing bottles every. single. night. If I have 2 days worth, then I can wash them in the dishwasher, and save a lot of time/annoyance.

So....what do you like? I don't want more Avents, b/c the leaking drove us absolutely crazy. I also don't want something with a ton of little parts (let's face it, sometimes they'll need to be washed by hand). Dr. Browns? Born Free? Has anyone done the math on the PLaytex drop-ins to see if the cost of the liners is low enough to make those a cost-effective option? I'll tak any advice you have.....I suspect there's not a perfect option out there, as the teachers from the baby room at day care didn't seem to have a clear winner.

Thanks!!!

mom2khj
07-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Tommee Tippee! I used Dr.Browns/Avent with DDs, but with DS I needed all new. Decided to try these and loved them!

TwoBees
07-27-2011, 10:06 AM
We loved BornFree

llama8
07-27-2011, 11:32 AM
I have used both Avent and Bornfree.

I love Bornfree. I am using them again for DD2. They are great at reducing gas and they don't leak!

Pinky
07-29-2011, 08:17 PM
If your baby doesn't have any medical reason to need fancy bottles I highly recommend just getting the cheap generic ones at Walmart or Target that are like $1 each. We used those and they held up really well and were all dishwasher safe...

lizzywednesday
07-30-2011, 07:14 PM
We started with (freebie) Dr. Brown's, which were nice, but my EBF DD would clamp down on my nipples when she went to the breast.

We tried the BreastFlow bottles by The First Years and she never clamped down again.

ahrimie
07-30-2011, 11:48 PM
I haven't done the math for the Drop Ins but you can just use the generic liners. Seriously, SO convenient. By the time we used the Drop Ins, my DD was particular about nipples so we had to use the Born Free nipples on it. They work but you can't put a lid on it and travel because it's not a perfect fit.

lhafer
07-31-2011, 08:19 AM
Used Playtex Drop Ins with my first. Loved them

Used Tommee Tippee with my second. Loved them.

Both are seriously easy to use, easy to clean, have few parts, etc.

Pinky
08-02-2011, 10:22 PM
I haven't done the math for the Drop Ins but you can just use the generic liners. Seriously, SO convenient. By the time we used the Drop Ins, my DD was particular about nipples so we had to use the Born Free nipples on it. They work but you can't put a lid on it and travel because it's not a perfect fit.
We used the dropins at first... I think we were spending around $10/month on generic liners and we used them up until she was around 6 months old. (I think)

AnnieW625
08-14-2011, 05:16 PM
With DD1 we use Playtex Vent Aire and they worked just fine, however I hated all of the extra vents so we switched to Avent and used those until about 15 or 16 months when she just used them as sippy cups.

With DD2 we used Dr. Browns at first and really liked them (parts weren't nearly as annoying as the Vent Aire ones) but she would clamp down while BFing so then we switched to Avent. We used Avent until one day we went out of town when she was 9 months and forgot a bottle so the only wide nipples I could find at the store were Playtex Drop Ins, and oh my gosh those solved all of DD2's spit up issues and I wish I would've tried them sooner. DD2 is now 15 months old and we are still using them.

marymoo86
08-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Ditto with the Playtex Drop Ins - DD prefers the brown latex nipple. Usually can get a good deal on the liners or use generic

nbarrett78
08-15-2011, 10:50 AM
I used Dr. Browns with my DD until she was 12mo. With my DS, he had lots of latch problems switching between bottle and breast, so I tried the NUK orthodonic bottles and love them. He hasn't had a problem with gas, not lots of little parts. And more importantly, no problems switching so he eats at the sitters! I would definitely recommend them if breastfeeding.

div_0305
08-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Another rave for Playtex Drop ins

hoodlims
08-24-2011, 01:38 AM
HATED Dr. Browns! The bottle has as many parts as the Born Free (which we ended up using and loving), but they are harder to clean because they are long and need special brushes. Plus, they leak like crazy, especially when tipped. Milk starts collecting in the cap and sprays everywhere.