PDA

View Full Version : Low Carbers - Mexican?

alexsmommy
07-27-2011, 11:59 AM
I know the best way for me to lose weight and keep it off is quasi low-carb - sort of phase 2.5. I just about die if I do a true phase 1 and try to work out. After this weekends reality check in an ON mirror while sitting down, I'm determined to look better in the next two months so I look and feel good on our adult getaway.
I already had a girls night dinner for Mexican scheduled. Suggestions on ordering. I'm thinking chicken or shrimp fajitas and I may even bring some low carb tortillas with me.
Any better suggestions? It's going to kill me not to eat those nice warm chips with guacamole! Yet I won't even lie, I will have a margarita so something has to give.

egoldber
07-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Mexican places are hard. I usually get a salad, especially if I am going to have alcohol.

nrp
07-27-2011, 01:47 PM
I usually do fajitas and just eat the meat, peppers, and onions without a tortilla. Here, we can choose refried beans or "charro-style" whole pinto beans, so I usually do a double order of charro beans and leave off the rice (still carbs, but better).

ETA: I will occasionally order carne asada, too.

essnce629
07-27-2011, 01:57 PM
I had Mexican the other day and had an entree called Savanitas that was marinated pieces of steak in a sauce and a side of chorizo beans. Chorizo is a type of Mexican sausage so I'm hoping that added some extra protein to help balance out the carbs of the beans. My entree didn't come with rice, but if it did, I would have said to just give me all beans instead. I did eat one tortilla which was small, but could have skipped that since the meat and beans together was really good. I didn't eat any of the chips and I don't drink alcohol.

elektra
07-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Go for the corn tortilla over the flour, cut the rice and do minimal or no beans.
That does narrow it down, but I can still get a soft taco (corn tortilla) with some tasty meat, sauce, lettuce and minimal cheese to come in where I want to in terms of fat/calories/carbs.
And yes, a salad can be a good choice too. But beware of the dressing for the fat/calories. I have found that a two tacos, even with a single corn tortilla can be "better" (depending on how you define "better") than a salad with the dressing.

egoldber
07-27-2011, 02:37 PM
I always ask for the dressing on the side.

elektra
07-27-2011, 02:47 PM
I always ask for the dressing on the side.

:yeahthat:

Or I will just try salsa with a bit of sour cream.

alexsmommy
07-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks ladies - I do love me some Mexican rice and tortillas, but not as much as my margarita.
It's funny, taco-type salads are the one type of salad I don't love when pared down to it's healthy form. Reading this reminds me why I've stumbled at Mexican restaurants in the past.
If I don't bring low-carb tortillas, I can actually go without for fajitas. I'm just in that major craving place when I first start back up and if I don't have a plan, I will falter somewhere about half way through my margarita...