PDA

View Full Version : Pilates

alexsmommy
07-27-2011, 12:08 PM
I have never done pilates before. I am also very, very inflexible. I just signed up for my first private introductory class because when I think of the type of "fit" body type that I would like to aspire too, many women have told me they do pilates to achieve that look.
What do I need to know going into this? I'm a little nervous, but I'm also excited to try something new.

cvanbrunt
07-27-2011, 01:56 PM
You will love it. The equipment is great, really low impact but still really challenging. Your flexibility will improve as will your strength but it won't be overnight. Pilates demands a lot of attention to form so you feel like you are getting corrected all.the.time. This is completely normal and expected. I'm actually a little annoyed if I'm not being corrected. IMO you need to do Pilates two days a week at a minimum. I do a minimum of three but love it when I get in four sessions. I do a mix of equipment and mat but my preference is equipment. You've got a lot of options in terms of privates, duet, and group classes. Wear something relatively form fitting so the instructor can see your body. Don't be self-conscious, though. I just finished my instructor training I love it so much.

alexsmommy
07-27-2011, 02:49 PM
You will love it. The equipment is great, really low impact but still really challenging. Your flexibility will improve as will your strength but it won't be overnight. Pilates demands a lot of attention to form so you feel like you are getting corrected all.the.time. This is completely normal and expected. I'm actually a little annoyed if I'm not being corrected. IMO you need to do Pilates two days a week at a minimum. I do a minimum of three but love it when I get in four sessions. I do a mix of equipment and mat but my preference is equipment. You've got a lot of options in terms of privates, duet, and group classes. Wear something relatively form fitting so the instructor can see your body. Don't be self-conscious, though. I just finished my instructor training I love it so much.

Thank you! I am excited - I've wanted to try it for a while. Every time I see it I just have this gut feeling this may be "my" exercise.

cvanbrunt
07-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Do let me know what you think!

alexsmommy
07-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Do let me know what you think!

Yeah. I loved it. Cannot wait for the next lesson. I know I'm going to be sore tomorrow, but that good sore.
This is NOT an inexpensive form of excercise. Thank goodness for the beginner specials since I can tell it will be a long time before I would feel even remotely able to alternate days with at home by myself with a video for mat work.

cvanbrunt
07-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Mat classes are really reasonable in comparison to equipment. You might do one mat and one reformer session a week. After a while you can drop the private sessions and find a group equipment class. Or ask if they have any other clients interested in a duet. But you are right, it ain't cheap.

alexsmommy
07-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Mat classes are really reasonable in comparison to equipment. You might do one mat and one reformer session a week. After a while you can drop the private sessions and find a group equipment class. Or ask if they have any other clients interested in a duet. But you are right, it ain't cheap.

They offer just about everything, and it's still going to be spendy. But if I love it and my body changes, then I will need to figure out how to make it happen. I need to put my health higher up on the list of things I make happen.

ShanaMama
07-27-2011, 10:11 PM
I love pilates. I don't do it nearly often enough, so I am just regaining lost ground every time. I find it to be a tough work out yet relaxing to go through- not grueling like cardio.