PDA

View Full Version : Organizing the Legos- my solution, wdyt?

gatorsmom
07-28-2011, 03:28 PM
The problem: i have 3 boys obsessed with building and playing with legos. Gator likes to put them together and keep them together with all their pieces. Cha cha likes to build, take apart and rebuild. Greenbean likes to play pretend with them without or without all the pieces in tact. I can't keep track of what sets we have and sometimes the boys like to rebuild sets that have been taken apart.

the other problem is that all my relatives know the boys love legos so we have tons of sets. I tried buying the biggest plastic bins I could find to keep boxes, pieces and instructions in but we've outgrown 2 of them.

My idea for a solutions: I'm going to cut up the boxes, keep some of the photographs of out the sets should look, along with the instruction booklets and organize them in sheet protectors and three ring binders. if a creation looks like it hasn't been played with in a while, I'll break it down and toss the pieces in the bin of random pieces. Creations we want to keep for awhile, I'll put on high shelfs in the playroom and my office (sigh- my office is where everything precious is kept away from the twin's curious fingers). For really great works of art, we can superglue the pieces together. This will be great for some of the really big ones like Hogwarts castle, Diagon Alley, etc.

Can anyone see any reason why this plan won't work?

lovin2shop
07-28-2011, 03:41 PM
It sounds very good to me. My 3yr old loves to destroy my 8yr old's creations, so the important ones also go up on a shelf. Of course, the little climber has figured out how to get to them, so we currently have a broken mess of Star Wars ships on the shelf and will need to find a higher solution!

I don't really keep any in tubs, but I do have a large document box from Container Store that I keep all of the manuals in. I've promised older DS a lego rebuild day, sans little one, sometime in the near future.