PDA

View Full Version : Kefir

niccig
07-28-2011, 05:01 PM
MIL told me she has colleagues that rave about kefit for their acid reflux. I've just been diagnosed with that, and I bought some. How much should you drink a day?

Thanks.

PunkyBoo
07-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Sorry, I don't know about kefir helping acid reflux. But if it doesn't work for you, I've read that a small handful of raw almonds after meals will block acid reflux.

WatchingThemGrow
07-29-2011, 05:06 PM
I dunno, but we've been drinking it. The last one we got from TJ's had fermented before the date stamp (like WAY before) and the one we just finished this morning must have. DD asked me, "Mom, was this drinkable yogurt supposed to be 'Strawberry SPICE?' or was it supposed to be just strawberry?" ugh.

Naranjadia
07-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Oh, I love it. I find it helps when my stomach doesn't feel quite right. I usually have a 6 - 8 oz glass. I also sometimes drink it with pills.

niccig
07-30-2011, 10:33 AM
I dunno, but we've been drinking it. The last one we got from TJ's had fermented before the date stamp (like WAY before) and the one we just finished this morning must have. DD asked me, "Mom, was this drinkable yogurt supposed to be 'Strawberry SPICE?' or was it supposed to be just strawberry?" ugh.

Thanks for the heads up. The one I have is fine. But I may make sure I finish it timely.

niccig
07-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Sorry, I don't know about kefir helping acid reflux. But if it doesn't work for you, I've read that a small handful of raw almonds after meals will block acid reflux.

I'll add that to my shopping list.

Thanks.

kochh2
08-07-2011, 11:27 AM
ummm, kefir is supposed to be fermented- thats what makes it kefir!! I've made my own before with grains, but when we moved, my kefir grains got spoiled- But, it's not kefir without that twang....

azazela
08-07-2011, 12:45 PM
We love Kefir around here. It does have that slightly sour taste though. It's not like drinkable yogurt, especially if you get it plain. It should/may even look a bit curdled. I buy the Lifeway brand usually. Plain for me and flavored for the kiddos. Not sure about its effects on acid reflux though. I hope it helps you! :love-retry:

Tondi G
08-07-2011, 06:18 PM
my mom makes her own kefir... it is supposed to be tangy.

mytwosons
08-07-2011, 06:48 PM
So I've been having about 6-8 ozs of this every morning and it has made a huge difference in my heartburn and digestive health. And the taste has grown on me. :)

WatchingThemGrow
08-07-2011, 11:18 PM
But is the container supposed to swell? Maybe it wasn't just the fermenting (his word) but getting bad in some way? It doesn't usually make the container bulge.