PDA

View Full Version : Juicing Fast

lhafer
07-29-2011, 07:39 AM
Has anyone done a juicing fast? DH saw the Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead documentary (http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/) and now he's on a role with wanting to try it. I bought a juicer the other day, and yesterday loaded up the frig with veggies and fruits.

He's starting today on his kick. I told him I would do it with him. I will start this evening, as I had plans to eat lunch with some old co-workers that I haven't seen in almost a year.

Just wondering if anyone as BTDT here. Kind of excited, kind of nervous. This weekend will be realy pleasant around here I'm sure!

infomama
07-29-2011, 04:41 PM
I've juiced in the past for health reasons and I lost weight but I hung up my juicer. There are so many health benefits to eating the *whole* fruit/vegetable vs only the juice of the fruit/vegetable so I went to Vitamix land. I make green smoothies everyday (spinach (or a variety of other mild lettuces), banana, frozen unsweetened berries, flax seed, water). I made sorbet the other evening and even added carrots and cabbage...no one knew!
I LOVE it. Worth a look.
GL!

lhafer
07-29-2011, 07:04 PM
I agree about eating whole fruits and veggies. But I think for someone that needing a *reboot*, juicing is an easy way to do it. I need to loose 100 pounds or more. I've been overweight for 20 years. And tried the zone diet, south beach, weight watchers 3 times, the gym, swimming, etc. It's all because i get back into the same habits after a while.

I think if I can do this for 60 days - and get away from meat, and *chewing* food - when it's time to go back to foods, I will go back to salads (which I currently hate), fish, etc. Not burgers, ice cream, soda, etc. I guess time will tell.

essnce629
07-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Just saw that movie 3 days ago and LOVED it! I was actually going to start a thread on it! I really want to get a juicer, but the one I want is $250 and that's not in the budget right now. DBF gets headaches every day and takes a ton of Excedrin. The lady in the movie who suffered from migraines was headache-free after just 6 days of juice fasting and remained headache-free by continuing to drink her daily green drink. I totally think DBF should try this as he's been to many doctors with no help at all.

They have a website and a Facebook page where you should be able to get support with others who are doing the juice fast. I think their Facebook page had over 35,000 likes when I was on it yesterday.

Definately keep us updated. I think the first 4 days are the hardest.

plusbellelavie
07-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Very intriguing....I am going to look into this further. Which juicer do you have? The ones he has on his website are pretty expensive...

Please update us on your DH and progress...

wellyes
07-29-2011, 08:06 PM
My FIL did it when he was diagnosed with cancer. It was extremely unpleasant. But I guess that means it worked? Good luck!

lhafer
07-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Very intriguing....I am going to look into this further. Which juicer do you have? The ones he has on his website are pretty expensive...

Please update us on your DH and progress...

I got the one featured in the movie - the Breville Juice Fountain Plus (http://www.amazon.com/Breville-JE98XL-Fountain-850-Watt-Juicing/dp/B003R28HWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311984580&sr=8-1)- at Bed Bath and Beyone using a 20% off coupon for $130.

Because of this film - it's out of stock everywhere!! I had to call around and finally found a store that had just gotten in a new shipment the previous day. Went and picked it up (45 minute one way trip), and it was the LAST ONE on the shelf!! The next model up was $250, and I didn't want to spend that much if this didn't work out for us. If it does, I figure we can always upgrade later.

DH started today, and did well. He said he started not feeling great around dinner tonight - that he felt like he *should* be eating something. Just have to get over that hump. I went to lunch with friends today, but ordered soup and salad and water - instead of the pasta dishes I wanted!! I started my juice tonight at dinner.

DH thinks I'm not going to make it. We'll see. I think I will. I feel some PMS coming on - so it's going to be HAAARRDDD for me not to give into my cravings. But my goal is to make the 10 day mark, and keep going.

And the juices aren't all that bad, I must admit!!

essnce629
07-29-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm watching the movie again right now with DS1, who pretty much dislikes all vegetables. The movie isn't even over and he's already asking if I can order a juicer!

So excited to hear about your progress!

lhafer
07-30-2011, 08:43 AM
I've decided to do a blog about it. I will be very honest about everything, because I hate dishonesty. I will put myself out there in the public eye, because I want to be able to hold myself accountable. I will put actual weight numbers and pictures on it. If you want, you can follow me on my journey.

I'm new to blog writting, so sorry if it's dry, or not the best writting. But I thought it would help if I could get my thoughts and feelings out on paper.

http://juice-wheres-the-gin.blogspot.com/

essnce629
07-31-2011, 07:34 PM
Sounds awesome! Heading over to your blog now!

plusbellelavie
08-01-2011, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the info on the juicer!

I wanted to ask about your and your DH's progress over the weekend but saw you were going to blog about it so I am off to read!

BTL!!

ThreeofUs
08-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Laura, you GO! Good for you!

alexsmommy
08-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Following your blog. Very, very impressed. Keep it up! You CAN do this. Sounds like you are in the worst part now. You inspired me to watch the movie, and that inspired me to up my veggie intake.

lhafer
08-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Following your blog. Very, very impressed. Keep it up! You CAN do this. Sounds like you are in the worst part now. You inspired me to watch the movie, and that inspired me to up my veggie intake.

Awesome! Yeah..Today was SUPER hard. First day with no other adult in the house to keep me in check. But I didn't cheat!! :yay:

I feel pretty good this evening. Just got back from a walk with the family. I will update the blog in a bit after I put the girls down. Thanks for reading it. I'm doing it for myself - but it's nice to know it can inspire others!! Thanks! :D

g-mama
08-01-2011, 10:29 PM
I am following your blog now, too, and am so impressd!! Good for you, girl! We are all supporting you!

Ceepa
08-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Cheering you on, Mama!

essnce629
08-02-2011, 01:23 AM
I will be awaiting your blog post each and every night! So amazing and we are here to cheer you on! I think things should be better after day 4.