PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

bubbaray
07-29-2011, 11:30 PM
I got home from work today. Normal work day (perhaps slightly less stress than normal). DH and the girls left this morning for a weekend of camping. I am watching what I eat (tracking with MFP), but not really dieting per se.

I got home and felt weird. about 30 min later, I started shaking. It was really weird. I ate some fruit leather. I fell OK (about 2 hrs later), just a little spacy. I was gonna walk the dog, but I think I might just wait until the morning.

I have a (distant) history of hyperthyroid. I'm not otherwise sick, no change in meds (am taking Symbicort and Nasonex for asthma, no asthma right now, no allergies).

jerigirl
07-29-2011, 11:32 PM
Low blood sugar?

bubbaray
07-29-2011, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I dunno. Now that I think about it, what seemed to help was a banana and soybutter (protein), not the fruit leather. So weird.

artvandalay
07-29-2011, 11:40 PM
Low blood sugar?

That's the first thing I thought of, too

Uno-Mom
07-30-2011, 12:11 AM
I thought sugar, too. Or maybe caffeine?

DH had some very similar episodes about a year ago: light headed, shaking, spacey. Starch/sugar and protein helped him in the moment. He asked his doctor about it. What they finally figured out was it was an odd alignment of slight dehydration, low blood sugar, and caffeine. He's not usually sensitive to caffeine but it hit right at the wrong moment and caused the reaction.

Whether DH and his PCP were right or not... he started drinking more water and cut caffeine out for a month or two. No episodes since.

bubbaray
07-30-2011, 12:14 AM
No more, no less caffeine than usual (I drink black tea all day until about 2pm). I drank maybe a little more water today, but not much more.

I should probably try to drink less caffeine, though.

I did have a brutal headache first thing this morning (woke up with it, unusual for me). It went away by about lunch, though.

So weird.

Uno-Mom
07-30-2011, 12:28 AM
No more, no less caffeine than usual (I drink black tea all day until about 2pm). I drank maybe a little more water today, but not much more.

I should probably try to drink less caffeine, though.

I did have a brutal headache first thing this morning (woke up with it, unusual for me). It went away by about lunch, though.

So weird.

I hope you can sort it out soon. Do you feel ok now?

If it happened to me, I'd suspect a relation to the morning headache. This morning I woke up with a headache, too. I think it was because I had a glass of red wine right at bedtime without any extra water to balance it out. It was dehydration for me, I think. Since having Sprog, I seem to dehydrate very easily.

DH swears that in his episodes, he hadn't had any extra caffeine either. He had had a salty meal right before, though.

bubbaray
07-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Yeah, just tired and missing the family....

Maybe it is related to the headache.