PDA

View Full Version : ? about PPD

c&j04
07-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Is this something that can almost leave at some points then come back again? I'm just not the energetic, happy person I was before TTC. Is PPD something that eventually "fades" away or meds only for an end?

Add to this, we recently moved so have to start looking for a dr.

lalasmama
07-30-2011, 05:01 PM
:hug:Each person's PPD experience is different. I know in my case, my depression would often come and go in waves of many weeks/months... I would have several good months where I was thinking "Ha! I have it beat!" and then would go through weeks (sometimes a month or two or three) where I would decide I had obviously made the worst decision in my life. Not that getting DD was a bad decision, but that any decision I made was the wrong one.

For some people, medicine is needed for a time. For others, some counseling for a while is enough. Medicine usually works well for me, so I don't mind using it when I need it. I respond fast to it, so once I say "I need help" I know I'm going to get the medicine, and that in a week, I will be feeling so much better.

Since you are in a new area, there's a few things you can do. You can go to a local Urgent/Immediate Care clinic; they will likely start you on medicine and let you know where you can call to start some counseling. Many places also have a Mental Health Crisis line. Even if you don't feel like you are in a "crisis" you can call and ask for resources. In my local area, we have 2 walk-in mental health clinics--one that deals specifically with PPD type issues, and one that deals with any mental health issues.

I saw that your siggy says "April 2010", so if that's when your baby was born, you may have a little bit more trouble finding PPD help, as most places designate PPD as depression occuring within the first year after birth... but there are still plenty of places that are available to help!

DebbieJ
07-30-2011, 07:03 PM
I think everyone's experience is different, but it can certainly wax and wane, just like any type of depression.

Untreated PPD will continue to persist. Looking back, I am quite confident that I had PPD with DS1, but it was never diagnosed. There were a lot of life changes going on at the time, so we chalked it up to that and to "baby blues." But it never went away. Finally when he was 4 years old I got some medication and did some counseling for a little bit and I felt SO MUCH BETTER. I did eventually wean off the meds.

With DS2, we knew it would probably come back and it did, so my midwife was ready with a 'script for Zoloft. I took that until this spring and then I switched to Wellbutrin since DS2 had weaned. I've been in counseling for a while now, too. DS2 will be two years old this fall and I don't feel confident dropping the meds or the counseling quite yet.

It's a tough battle--don't fight it alone. Get some help. You'll feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better, I promise!

carolinamama
07-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Not only do you have a young child, but you have also just moved. Having a baby, especially if you stay at home is isolating and hard. Add that to a new environment where you don't have your support system in place and people just to get out and visit and you will have even more trouble getting over ppd.

Please try to get help - you will really feel so much better. I struggled with ppd after DS2 and my OB actually wanted to keep me on Zoloft so I already had it in my system when DD was born. There is no shame in meds and/or counseling. In the mean time, can you get out and take a walk everyday? I find that really helps me when I'm feeling alittle low. :grouphug:

Indianamom2
07-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Untreated PPD can lead to depression. It doesn't have to be overwhelming sadness and thoughts of suicide, it can be just a feeling of being overwhelmed with everything and feeling not quite like yourself and/or being irritable.

I think if you're asking the question, then there's probably a good chance that you are depressed. If so, then you are definitely not alone. Take the chance to take care of yourself and you will be a better wife and mommy to your children. You won't regret it.

Good luck! :hug:

MSWR0319
07-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Have you ever had your thyroid checked? That too can lead to depression and can act up once you've given birth. Just something to rule out.

BeachBum
07-31-2011, 02:37 PM
After my boys were born, I waited two years to get help. I have no doubt that my body got out of wack because of the pregnancy. I had no prior history of anxiety and depression. But, I waited so long it was no longer considered PPD. I went to my GP, told him how I was feeling and he recommended meds. I feel like myself again! I am so regretful I waited so long to get help. My default emotion is contentment (again), whereas before it was just a feeling of unease, unhappiness and feeling totally out of control of my whole life.

I don't think it matters what you call it (PPD or just depression). You and your family deserve the real you back.