PDA

View Full Version : What's your personal style: show me your three favorite outfits!

goldenpig
07-30-2011, 06:12 PM
I thought this would be a really fun thread. All the recent shopping threads plus my own recent trip to Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale got me thinking more about my wardrobe (for myself rather than the kids) for the first time in ages.

So...I am totally curious to see what everyone else's personal fashion style is. So, post pictures of your three most favorite outfits in your closet. Explain what your style is/what you like, where the clothes are from (if you know) and what you like about them...do they make you look hot, are they comfortable, do you get complimented when you wear them, etc. I would love to see how everyone else dresses (and see if it matches my mental image of you based on your online personality!) and also maybe to get some fresh ideas. Don't be shy, and have fun!

Here are my three favorite outfits. These aren't necessarily the outfits I wear most often...I haven't worn some of these pieces in a long time. I tend to wear sweaters/trousers and comfortable shoes like Dansko clogs or Jungle Mocs at work since I'm on my feet a lot, and jeans/t-shirt and hoodie or fleece jacket when I'm out with the family. But I think I am going to make more of an effort to step it up and dress up a little once in a while!

I tend to like patterned bias-cut or A-line skirts with form-fitting sweaters or blouses, with either boots or pumps with ankle straps. I like the black/red/white color combo and love red shoes. I keep it simple and tend to skip jewelry/accessories/pantyhose etc.

1. Sleeveless black cowl neck top from Banana Republic, red/black/white Ann Taylor skirt, Nine West black boots, Fossil tote in Cognac. For some reason DH doesn't like this skirt, but I love it so I wear it anyways! I feel like I could walk around in New York or Chicago (with Arivecchi ;)) and not stand out in this outfit.
2. Cream Ann Taylor Loft sweater, Ann Taylor plaid flannel skirt, camel EasySpirit pumps, Fendi purse (gift from MIL). I like this because it makes me feel like winter's just around the corner (I have a camel wool coat that I wear with it), even though we don't really get winters around here. I would rather wear this with a cream fitted short-sleeve turtleneck, but I don't have one right now (I think I had one a long time ago but it got stained and needs to be replaced).
3. Not sure if this outfit counts as my "style" yet--I just got it from the Nordstrom sale so I haven't had a chance to wear it yet, but what the heck, let's see what you guys think. Hinge patterned blouse and Lafayette 148 leather/tweed skirt from Nordstrom, red Clark pumps and no-name purse. I like this one because it makes me look like a grownup (or maybe a secretary from the 1940's). :D

hillview
07-30-2011, 08:29 PM
WOW GP you rock those!! I am traveling so I can't play til Tuesday but I want to!!

goldenpig
07-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks hillview! I can't wait to see what you've got to wear--I know you've been shopping recently too ;).

ahrimie
07-30-2011, 11:14 PM
I like your 3rd outfit. Lafayette 148 is actually my friend's parents' company!

wellyes
07-30-2011, 11:43 PM
You have set the bar intimidatingly high lol. You look fantastic!

goldenpig
07-31-2011, 01:22 AM
You have set the bar intimidatingly high lol. You look fantastic!

Wellyes, thanks, but don't worry--you should see what I normally wear. I've been getting extremely lazy and dressing like a slob post-kids (I still wear some maternity stuff just because it's comfy :bag), but I started poking around the YouLookFab site recently (thanks DrSally for the link!) and got inspired to dig out some of my old nicer clothes.

Naranjadia
07-31-2011, 01:32 AM
Oh my gosh, can you come coordinate my wardrobe? :hysterical::hysterical:

citymama
07-31-2011, 01:34 AM
Those are all fabulous - I especially like #2. I almost never wear white, but it looks great on you!

DrSally
07-31-2011, 01:38 AM
All of the outfits look awesome! I especially love how your shoes seem chosen for the outfits (love them all, esp. the t-strap). that's where I tend to fall down. I don't have a great selection of pretty shoes b/c of my wide feet. I got the YLF link from another BBB'er, it's been very fun and educational to poke around there.

elektra
07-31-2011, 01:53 AM
I like #3 too! I have been thinking about style too. I got so caught up in the Boden stuff even though it's not my overall style really! I do still like the stuff I got, and I think it's good to branch out in different directions with clothes. I am not sure what my favorite outfit is- something with jeans for sure. :)

momm
07-31-2011, 07:33 AM

:yeahthat:

goldenpig
07-31-2011, 11:14 AM

Ha ha, that is too funny, because I keep wishing I could have Stacey & Clinton from What Not to Wear come overhaul my wardrobe (without having to be embarrassed on national TV). I am definitely no expert and most of my clothes are ancient or don't fit right anymore. But I would love to come peek in other people's closets...hence my post! Doesn't anyone else want to play? :loveeyes:

goldenpig
07-31-2011, 11:28 AM
All of the outfits look awesome! I especially love how your shoes seem chosen for the outfits (love them all, esp. the t-strap). that's where I tend to fall down. I don't have a great selection of pretty shoes b/c of my wide feet. I got the YLF link from another BBB'er, it's been very fun and educational to poke around there.

Yeah, the shoes are my downfall too. I haven't worn these types of outfits in ages because I'm so worried about my feet hurting that I just stick to pants and my 2-3 comfortable pairs of shoes. DH has been bugging me to dress nicer and says my patients will take me more seriously if I dress more professionally. I think he's right. You guys are so nice, you've motivated me to work up the courage to wear outfit #3 to work tomorrow!

nupe
07-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Love them all!
Especially ADORE outfit #3. I"ve been getting the Lafayette catalog for the last year, not sure why but I do and have eyed many things in there, but didn't think they would fit me for some reason. Guess I should try them out.

Shoes really can make an outfit. The funny thing about shoes, that is usually where I often start with my outfit, based on how much walking I'll be doing that day. For example if I know I know my feet are tired from several days of fancy shoes and I'm going to do a lot of walking that day, then I know I will need comfy shoes, so then I'll pick an outfit to go with the comfy shoes of that season.

Now I get compliments from random folks all the time on my shoes/boots, but not so much on my outfit. :(

♥ms.pacman♥
07-31-2011, 03:25 PM
wow goldenpig you look amazing!! i like #3 too..so classy!! I also really love #1 as well...love the skirt, it's gorgeous!!

anyway, im going to totally cheat here :) and show pics of 3 of some fave outfits, but all from 2009, before i ever got preggo and had kids. in my defense, i'm sure nobody wants to see what i wear now (nursing tanks, maternity shorts/sweats, all with some degree of food/spit-up stains..lol). plus i swear up and down i'm going to really get back into wearing nice coordinated outfits once my kids are a bit older, i stop nursing and I start working again.

most of the stuff i'm really into is Ann Taylor, or AT Loft. LOVE their stuff. I also have a Michael Kors outlet near me, where i can find a lot of things for super cheap. Seriously, there are some great deals..i've gotten a Michael Kors dress for $20 once!! And I am also a fan of the Burberry quilted jackets..just so versatile. And for bags, i am Louis vuitton addict. Believe it or not I used to choose the bag first and then plan the outfit around it! :D

with #1, the dress is from Ann Taylor. The velour jacket, i'm not sure, i think it's a no-name. I'm pretty sure the costume necklace is AT. the bag is LV, from vernis collection. i think one of my absolute favorite color combos is black/white/red...so classic and timeless IMO.

in #2, i have a burberry quilted jacket (that i got on sale!), D&G sunglasses, and LV multicolore bag. i rarely use that bag now since it's a handheld and that's really hard with kids, but i totally love it as it's so feminine. in the pic i'm wearing the matching belt. i think the jeans are my Levi's from the juniors section (i often have to shop juniors due to my extremely boyish figure, no hips or waist, lol). top is Banana Republic i think. shoes, i probably just wore Vans or something..i tend to go with comfort when it comes to shoes! that's why i love jeans i guess!

#3 the top is from AT, and the denim skirt i think is from Charlotte Russe :bag ..i just liked how it looked. black sunglasses from Chanel. charm bracelet from Juicy Couture. i guess i also like white and red with denim and other neutral colors (black, beige, etc). the shoes are Beauty-Feel from The Walking Company..the only way i can comfortable wear heels..i am sad i could never wear gorgeous shoes like Christian Louboutins! :S

goldenpig
07-31-2011, 08:27 PM
ms. pacman,
Thanks for posting your pics! I love your outfits, especially the first one! Love the black/white/red combo and the jacket & dress together. So elegant.

essnce629
07-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Ooo, love ms.pacman's dress in pic #1!

Pretty much all my clothes are from LE Canvas right now. I just got a new order of summer stuff in last week.

Maybe I'll try taking some pics tonight, since I'm all sweaty and hot right now!

arivecchi
07-31-2011, 09:15 PM
Awesome thread!

I love your first outfit. I love boots so that is my fave. :)

I woud love to play but I am so exhausted! Maybe tomorrow.

You look fab goldenpig! :bighand:

twowhat?
07-31-2011, 10:22 PM
I'll play if this thread is still alive later this week when DH is out of town! I don't wanna have to explain to him why I'm in the bathroom changing outfits and taking pics of myself LOL!!

Love seeing the pics! Everyone looks awesome, and it's inspiring me to get back to work on fixing my wardrobe since I literally had to give away everything I wore pre-pregnancy and start over from scratch.

I'd give up a kidney to be on What Not to Wear.

goldenpig
08-07-2011, 06:07 AM
Ok, I am resurrecting this thread to remind people who promised to play! Hillview, twowhat, essnce629 et al (and anyone else who's interested), I'm looking at you! Arivecchi, I know you posted already on the boot thread, but feel free to post pics in your fabulous Prada pumps!

OK, here's 3 more outfits from the last week to keep things going. I am having so much fun digging through the closet and finding unused gems and pairing them with new stuff. I feel like I'm on an archaeological dig!

1. Casual weekend outfit: plaid shirt and BP sweater from the Juniors section bought at the Nordstrom sale, old Earl jeans, and some sneakers that I dug out of the bottom of the closet.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-FMfOumhvs5g/Tj5Y8TCilHI/AAAAAAAAAW8/fiYDCRE1mgM/s400/P1130771.JPG

2. Work outfit #1: another resurrected item--an old Ann Taylor skirt that initially came with a matching flower print spaghetti strap top (so it looked like a dress) that I used to wear to weddings etc. with matching purple wedge slides. And I had a purple cardigan twinset that I would wear with it as well. So matchy matchy! :bag Well, I hadn't worn it in years, so I combined it with a purple ruffle tank that I bought at the Nordstrom sale (which is longer so it covers my tummy) plus a pair of pewter Born Lovely flats that I bought a year or two ago but haven't been wearing much. I also wore a long thin black open cardigan over that in the morning when it was colder. Still kind of matchy (the ballet flats have a flower on them just like the skirt), but a little more subtle.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-PtJLm3zfZgY/Tj5Yqnza_sI/AAAAAAAAAWs/nXLhZosHuss/s400/P1130630.JPG

3. Work outfit #2: This one is my new favorite combo! This pumpkin colored mock turtleneck is sooo old (like almost 20 years old!) and faded but it's one of my favorites and people always compliment me on it, so I can't get rid of it. I think it's from Casual Corner, LOL. The skirt is also about 10 years old from Banana Republic, but in all this time I never thought to combine the two (I always wore brown or ivory sweaters with the skirt). I found this necklace that my mom used to wear a lot in the 70's when I was little--I kept it as a memento, but never wore it (because it was so 70's, ugh!), but I guess now that the 70's are back it's wearable again! Then there's the camel coat that I've had for so long the lining is all torn up and the sleeves are worn, but it still looks good with everything. The Jack Georges briefcase is pretty old too but in great shape. And it matches my new Nordie's boots. I felt so much more stylish than before, even people at work were noticing and asking me if I bought a bunch of new clothes, and I was happy to admit that most of it was old unused treasures from my closet. I was walking just a bit taller that day. Now I just have to wait for the 80's to come back so I can wear that "vintage" purple sweater dress with fluorescent green handprints all over it that I've got tucked away, just waiting for the perfect occasion...:jammin:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bKBKuKn2tsg/Tj5Yq3YNtYI/AAAAAAAAAWw/VBdP-Z3AG3Q/s400/P1130639.JPGhttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-mj_nUD2M8IU/Tj5Yr8gHX4I/AAAAAAAAAW4/ywtaTTVpjcE/s400/P1130647.JPGhttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-JezKbJ9sTRw/Tj5Yrb3-vCI/AAAAAAAAAW0/Usq8ugDV4_w/s288/P1130644.JPG

twowhat?
08-07-2011, 10:39 PM
OK, these aren't exactly "favorite outfits". They're just things that I feel comfortable in. Though I have to say, after taking these pics I'm largely unsatisfied. I'm in the process of re-working my wardrobe and it's still, well, blah. I have a shoe problem in that I can't find comfy shoes that look good. I don't have accessories. I cannot stand my legs, which are bowed. Blah, blah, blah. I am open to constructive criticism since I have a long way to go to add pieces that I feel good in that actually still look good.

Dress: Gap. Shoes: Linea Paulo. Necklace: Ann Taylor. I was going to wear this dress with black tights to my company's vegas-themed holiday party. Then I got really really sick and didn't make it. I didn't want to pull on black tights to take this pic. I'd never wear this out in public without something covering my legs because, well, I hate them!! Otherwise I like the dress. And it's so comfy:)

t-shirt, bermuda shorts, flip flops from J Crew. This is my summer Mommy uniform. I feel comfy in it, and love that the bermudas help to minimize my messed-up legs. You will usually find me in bermudas like this of varying colors, and cotton embellished t-shirts. Sometimes slub jersey.

Striped tank: LE Canvas. Silk cardi: Ann Taylor. Bootcut jeans: Banana Republic ($17 score!!). Patent bow flats: Me Too flat wedges. This is my work uniform on days that we are required to look "business casual" (i.e. client visiting office). Normally for work I just wear jeans and a t-shirt or a button-down, untucked (you wouldn't believe it - had to edit this because I originally typed "unbuttoned" LOLOL). Blah.

Top and matchstick jean from J Crew. This is another outfit that I would wear to work (but with flats and not flip flops. I couldn't find my beige/gold point-toe flats that I wear with this.) I don't feel all that great it in. But I love the color.

This is something I feel really comfy in. In general I feel a lot better in winter clothes. Probably because they're bulkier and my legs are always covered:) This is the FABULOUS sideways cable cardi from LE Canvas. I love it and probably wear it too often in the winters. It's layered over a J Crew liberty fabric shirt. Same BR $17 jeans and Me Too patent bow flat wedges.

Stacy and Clinton, WHERE ARE YOU??? Also, please please don't make me be the thread killer.

elektra
08-07-2011, 11:43 PM
twowhat- I really like all your outfits. I don't have accessories and I hate my legs too- I hear you on that!
Your pants all seem to fit great, and I especially like that last pic of you with the cream colored sweater. That sweater looks awesome and I like the top layered underneath.

goldenpig
08-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Yay twowhat, I love your outfits! Comfortable and chic. My favorite is the yellow top--love the bright color on you. And the black and white cardi outfit too...absolutely killer fit on those jeans! I'm sadly lacking on the accessories front too. I don't even own a belt or a scarf, but I was thinking that maybe adding some color accents would make your outfits even more stylish? Since you tend to like black & white, do you own any red shoes or red handbag (or some other bright color like yellow or aqua or orange)? That would totally kick them up a notch--I love the black/white/red combo, and adding a punch of color would really spice things up! So glad you & ms. pacman posted, I was worried/embarrassed I would be the only one posting! :bighand:

twowhat?
08-08-2011, 12:42 AM
Yay twowhat, I love your outfits! Comfortable and chic. My favorite is the yellow top--love the bright color on you. And the black and white cardi outfit too...absolutely killer fit on those jeans! I'm sadly lacking on the accessories front too. I don't even own a belt or a scarf, but I was thinking that maybe adding some color accents would make your outfits even more stylish? Since you tend to like black & white, do you own any red shoes or red handbag (or some other bright color like yellow or aqua or orange)? That would totally kick them up a notch--I love the black/white/red combo, and adding a punch of color would really spice things up! So glad you & ms. pacman posted, I was worried/embarrassed I would be the only one posting! :bighand:

LOL my DH would totally agree. He complains that all I have bought recently are black, white/cream, navy, and gray. I tell him it's because my first priority is getting some basics for work in neutrals. But I do agree with him (and you) - I TOTALLY LACK COLOR. I do have a red handbag. I'm not in love with it though. I'm not brave enough to pull off the brightly colored flats for fear of drawing attention to my legs. I know people who use this look (a neutral outfit with aqua or kelly green flats for example) and I do love it. I also really want to learn how to wear scarves to add color. But I just have no idea how to pull it off.

goldenpig
08-08-2011, 01:34 AM
LOL my DH would totally agree. He complains that all I have bought recently are black, white/cream, navy, and gray. I tell him it's because my first priority is getting some basics for work in neutrals. But I do agree with him (and you) - I TOTALLY LACK COLOR. I do have a red handbag. I'm not in love with it though. I'm not brave enough to pull off the brightly colored flats for fear of drawing attention to my legs. I know people who use this look (a neutral outfit with aqua or kelly green flats for example) and I do love it. I also really want to learn how to wear scarves to add color. But I just have no idea how to pull it off.

First of all, I don't know what you are talking about--you have great legs! You especially rock those skinny jeans! I don't think you should worry about wearing colored shoes at all, I think you would look great in them. Here's what I would do--buy a long red silk scarf, maybe something similar to this one (http://www.amazon.com/Chiffon-Butterfly-Print-Red-Scarf/dp/B000CR3YFO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1312781055&sr=8-10):
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41z6%2B96Iw0L._SY445_.jpg
and tie it around your waist over that black dress like a belt. Instant color and waist definition! And then add some red or silver ballet flats or low pumps. Or here's an example from the You Look Fab site where she's wearing a black dress with black belt, red pumps and an aqua handbag...you could totally do something similar!
http://youlookfab.com/files/2011/07/Lean.jpg

Or in outfit #3, you could tie the scarf around your waist (tucking the ends in rather than leaving them hanging) over the T-shirt but under your black & white cardigan (or just use a red belt instead). And in outfit #5, you could loop it around your neck like in the scarf picture above, and tuck it into the jacket so you have a pop of color at your neckline. And for outfit #2, I am thinking maybe a red or aqua cardigan on top of the T-shirt? Or, you could wear knee high boots instead of slippers and that would give it a whole new look. I am totally digging this list of mom on the go outfits (http://youlookfab.com/2009/10/07/10-casual-outfit-formulas-for-mom-on-the-go/) at You Look Fab, and can't wait to try some of them out! Now I want to go buy a scarf!