PDA

View Full Version : Side sleeping

mommylamb
07-31-2011, 07:28 AM
One of the things I dislike about pregnancy is having to sleep on my side as I get bigger. I'm mostly a stomach sleeper, and if not I like to sleep on my back. I can't remember how far along I will be when I have to break out the maternity pillow and sleep on my side. Anyone here know off hand? DH and I have a queen sized bed, and I hated having all those extra pillows taking up space. I'm 12 weeks now. I'm already trying to prop myself up so I don't sleep on my stomach (I move a lot in my sleep), but how much longer do I have when I can sleep on my back?

SnuggleBuggles
07-31-2011, 08:52 AM
My midwives and I talked about the sleep thing and they said as long as I felt fine that I should sleep however I wanted. Ideally I'd be on my side but if I just wasn't comfy that way they said the risks really aren't very high in other positions. And that usually your body will let you know if something is a problem. So long as you listened to those cues like discomfort or extremities starting to fall asleep you were fine. Heck, I even slept on my belly some in m 3rd trimester. So, my advice would be have the conversation with your care provider. I was surprised that once we sat down and discussed risks and benefits, I got the ok for all sleeping positions. :)

I do think that you are ok till closer to your 3rd trimester with position options too unless you feel uncomfortable sooner.

Beth

swissair81
07-31-2011, 10:16 AM
According to everybody, you have until 20 weeks. After that, it really depends if you are comfortable on your back. I have problems with low blood pressure, so that position is absolutely out of the question for me. I get supine hypotension and pass out. That doesn't happen to everyone (or even most people). I got a good body pillow and I've used it for my last 3 pregnancies.

AnnieW625
07-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Seriously I had never heard the avoid your back thing until I was pregnant with DD2 and honestly I either slept on my back or I slept on my right side with both pregnancies and my babies were fine. I never used a body pillow either.

mommylamb
07-31-2011, 07:34 PM
This is good to know. Somehow with DS, I got it into my head that I should never be flat on my back, and I hate side sleeping. I really appreciate everyone's real world experience.

janine
07-31-2011, 08:06 PM
I agree with others - sleep whatever way you are comfortable. I try to sleep on my side,but I end up on my back 90% of the time. Same thing with DD1 - I think it's perfectly fine and sleep is most important.

BabbyO
08-01-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm usually a side sleeper and I usually sleep on my left side, but regardless of what side I start on...near the end of my pregnancy I flop between right side, back, and left side all night long. I'm at 33 weeks right now and if I sleep on one of my sides I notice my arm falling asleep....so I end up going left, back, right, back, left about every 2 hours. (my back gets achy enough to wake me after a few hours).

My doc has never said anything to me about which side or back sleeping...just be comfortable and listen to your body.

larig
08-01-2011, 11:28 AM
I slept with one of those pillows after about 20 weeks, or closer to the end I had to sleep propped to almost the point of sitting, so that my heartburn would subside (it was AWFUL!)

BabyBearsMom
08-01-2011, 11:30 AM
I would occasionally role onto my back and in my 9th month it would restrict my breathing. Apparently, per DH, I would make this horrible gurgling choking noise and it would wake him up and he would roll me back onto my side. I used my maternity pillow starting around 16 weeks and I still use it now because I got used to sleeping with it and can't give it up.

mommylamb
08-01-2011, 11:32 AM
I slept with one of those pillows after about 20 weeks, or closer to the end I had to sleep propped to almost the point of sitting, so that my heartburn would subside (it was AWFUL!)

I was very lucky with DS, in that I never had heartburn. In fact, I've never had it before in my life, so I don't even know what it feels like. Hopefully, that won't change with this pregnancy. Of course, the trade off was that I carried so far out with DS that I got terrible stretchmarks and the bottom of my belly ached from the weight. I was a house. but he didn't push up against my organs (other than my bladder).

DebbieJ
08-01-2011, 11:36 AM
I still, to this day, sleep with a body pillow. I love it!

brittone2
08-02-2011, 01:06 AM
I was really good about sleeping on my left side when I was pg with DS1. I relaxed more with my 2nd pgcy and mostly slept on my side, but sometimes ended up on my back and didn't sweat it. I figured if i was comfortable, it was just fine.

I did get this in my inbox recently though...I am sure this is going to be the subject of additional research, but I'll share it in case you are curious. warning: sensitive...stillbirth mentioned.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/744648

from the above:June 15, 2011 — Compared with pregnant women who sleep on their left side, those who sleep on their back may have double the risk of delivering a stillborn baby, and those who sleep on their right side also may have an increased risk, according to a new study.

They do explain several limitations of the study, etc. in the link above. Nothing at all conclusive, but I thought it was worth sharing.

mommylamb
08-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Hmm... maybe I'll be sleeping on my left side after all. Brittone, thanks for sharing that.

janine
08-02-2011, 01:15 PM
I was really good about sleeping on my left side when I was pg with DS1. I relaxed more with my 2nd pgcy and mostly slept on my side, but sometimes ended up on my back and didn't sweat it. I figured if i was comfortable, it was just fine.

I did get this in my inbox recently though...I am sure this is going to be the subject of additional research, but I'll share it in case you are curious. warning: sensitive...stillbirth mentioned.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/744648

from the above:June 15, 2011 — Compared with pregnant women who sleep on their left side, those who sleep on their back may have double the risk of delivering a stillborn baby, and those who sleep on their right side also may have an increased risk, according to a new study.

They do explain several limitations of the study, etc. in the link above. Nothing at all conclusive, but I thought it was worth sharing.

Hmm, this is quite a bold statement (the study, not your post) - is this accurate? I've never heard it and well I would hope it's not just another thing to stress preggos about (if I sleep on my back, might have a stillborn,etc). All I had ever heard is sleeping on your left side is better for blood circulation.

brittone2
08-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Hmm, this is quite a bold statement (the study, not your post) - is this accurate? I've never heard it and well I would hope it's not just another thing to stress preggos about (if I sleep on my back, might have a stillborn,etc). All I had ever heard is sleeping on your left side is better for blood circulation.

This was fairly recent. The actual link does discuss some of the study limitations. Having read this though, I personally would probably make a better effort to stay on my left side. I know I relaxed about it a good bit with my 2nd and 3rd child, but until there is more research, I think I would try to stay on left side when possible. I wouldn't freak out about it, but I might not be quite as relaxed as I was with baby #2 and #3.

eta: additional interviews with experts here:
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/sleep/articles/2011/06/15/could-sleeping-on-left-side-help-prevent-stillbirth
The above points out that the risk of stillbirth is (thankfully) very small to an individual, but that this could a difference on a population level possibly, depending on what additional research shows.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/14/us-pregnancy-sleep-idUSTRE75D6WH20110614
This points out a more forceful campaign to have women sleeping on their left sides is not yet warranted. Again, I don't think anyone is suggesting women freak out, but it might be something I'd be a little more aware of if I were pg again (not happening ! ;) )

The study was published in the online version of the BMJ in June.

BayGirl2
08-02-2011, 06:01 PM
OP - I use a snoogle pillow and find it takes up a lot less space then an assortment of regular size pillows. It seems enormous, but its long and thin so not as wide on the bed.

I'm a stomach sleeper too and have actually figured out a way with the snoogle to sleep on my stomach. It wraps around so my weight is on my shoulders and hips with a hole in the middle, kind of like a prenatal massage table, no pressure on my stomach. That may be one of the only saving graces from the insomnia I've had this pregnancy.

I try to stay mostly on my side but do end up on my back a lot. I try to at least tilt one hip slightly so I'm not totally flat. Otherwise I do sometimes get dizzy.

mommylamb
08-02-2011, 06:11 PM
This kind of brings me back to my original question, which is when should I really start making an effort to sleep on my side? I'm 12 weeks now (will be 13 on Friday).

BayGirl2
08-02-2011, 06:13 PM
This kind of brings me back to my original question, which is when should I really start making an effort to sleep on my side? I'm 12 weeks now (will be 13 on Friday).

Everything I've read and heard said 20 weeks. That's when I broke out the snoogle and pushed DH over to his side of the bed.

janine
08-08-2011, 10:08 AM
So I have been trying harder to stay on my left side - I still end up on my back a fair amount, and I notice when I'm on my left I get tons of kicks! Wonder if that's b/c the oxygen is flowing better or if LO doesn't care for this position either!