PDA

View Full Version : Dress me for a day of wine tasting in Napa!

alexsmommy
07-31-2011, 08:27 PM
We just booked a long weekend for our ten year anniversary in San Fran/Napa. There was one advantage to DH having traveled a ton the last six months - points points points! We are spending one full day in Napa wine tasting. I would like a cute casual a-line, v-neck dress. If anyone has ideas for a fancy-schmancy dinner too - feel free to pass it along. We haven't been away alone in years - soooo excited.
Ideally, these would not be super expensive choices, we are maxing out what we can afford without touching savings even with free airfare, rental car, and part of the lodging. I want to spend more on food and wine than wardrobe.
Thanks ladies
Oh, and cute flats to go with the daytime dress is all the better. We're going mid-September.

DrSally
07-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Do you live by an Ann Taylor outlet. I got a very cute, cotton interlock dress for $55 the other day. ATL also had dresses, more casual though. I would also check TJ Maxx or Nordstrom rack. They have lots of cute, casual dresses. Should be so much fun! Rocket Dog and Me too make cute flats.

TwinFoxes
07-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Where in Napa are you staying? It's a big valley! Cyrus in Healdsburg was one of the best meals I've ever eaten, Ad Hoc in Yountville is fun, Bouchon (also Yountville) is a great Brasserie, French Laundry is supposed to be amazing, but super hard to get into and very expensive, I've never been (I've been to the other restaurants I mentioned). I'm so jealous! I love Napa. I hope you have a blast. :)

LexyLou
07-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Where in Napa are you staying? It's a big valley! Cyrus in Healdsburg was one of the best meals I've ever eaten, Ad Hoc in Yountville is fun, Bouchon (also Yountville) is a great Brasserie, French Laundry is supposed to be amazing, but super hard to get into and very expensive, I've never been (I've been to the other restaurants I mentioned). I'm so jealous! I love Napa. I hope you have a blast. :)

I agree with those restaurant recs. Ad Hoc is awesome BUT there is only one menu per night, so you don't have choices. So this could be a problem if you have food allergies or are picky.

Both you need to make reservations at least 3-4 weeks in advance.

Farm at The Carneros Inn is also awesome.

Celadon is also great, but it's in main Napa.

What time of year are you coming?

When are you coming?

elektra
07-31-2011, 10:50 PM
Should be lovely! I think the dress is pretty casual. Bring some kind of wrap or sweater though if you do any touring of the wineries. Some of the rooms are freezing depending on what stage the wine is in in the whole process.

kozachka
07-31-2011, 11:59 PM
I'd dress up for dinner but not the actual wine tasting. Most people are very casual.

echoesofspring
08-01-2011, 12:35 AM
I'd dress up for dinner but not the actual wine tasting. Most people are very casual.

:yeahthat:
I mean, have fun and feel good about what you're wearing. But I really would not worry about it much. As someone who occasionally works a tasting bar (not in Napa), if you were too dressed up, I might strike up conversation by asking if you had been coming/going to an event/wedding/etc.

Definitely bring a sweater, if they are storing wine in the tasting room (and if you go to any small wineries they might) it will be cool.

Aishe
08-01-2011, 01:40 AM

FWIW, it's easier to get a lunch reservation than dinner at French Laundry. Tables open exactly two months in advance so if you're going in mid-September it's probably too late. But I'd still try if you're at all interested. I've eaten there twice and it was spectacular.

ETA: I agree with pp that overall Napa is pretty casual. Even the French Laundry is not all that dressy. I mean, you wouldn't want to show up in jeans or anything, but a pretty summer dress would be perfectly fine.

elektra
08-01-2011, 01:42 AM

Yes. I didn't read the original post carefully. The actual tastings during the day are casual but the dinners would be more dressy. An A-line dress sounds nice.

TwinFoxes
08-01-2011, 06:39 AM
I've eaten there twice and it was spectacular.

I had a reservation once for my B-day...but then I started feeling guilty about the money (a very rare event for me pre-kids!) So I changed to Cyrus, which was really incredible. But looking back I should have gone to French Laundry because now that we are no longer DINKS I really don't see us getting there anytime soon. If you can get in OP, I'd go for it!

OP, are you going to SF or Napa first? If you're going to SF first, I'd just wait and buy something there. The shopping in San Francisco is great, it's one of my favorite shopping cities (one of my favorite everything cities!) There's great shopping centered around a 8 block area in downtown, so walkable. Huge Macy's, huge Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, lots of boutiques.

AnnieW625
08-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Should be lovely! I think the dress is pretty casual. Bring some kind of wrap or sweater though if you do any touring of the wineries. Some of the rooms are freezing depending on what stage the wine is in in the whole process.

:yeahthat: Maybe it's because I am from the area (an hour west) and I grew up with a dad who worked in the industry, I just don't go gaga over Napa, but it is fun, and a worth while trip. It's not snooty at all. You could get away with jeans and a nice top. I think I wore black cropped pants and sleeveless button down shirt the last time I went.

If you like champagne check out Domaine Chandon (http://www.chandon.com/).

September is usually when "crush" happens so check out this website. Honestly I don't know if this is a good time to visit or not:
Napa Valley Vintners (http://www.napavintners.com/wineries/)

Food wise my favorite steak house, The Buckhorn (http://buckhornsteakhouse.com/) (they catered my wedding) is about 45 minutes away in Winters, CA, which is a two stoplight town. The drive from Napa is nice too.

pinkmomagain
08-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Love love love Napa. One of my favorite places ever.

I agree with the a pp that wine tasting is more casual and dinner dress up a little more, but I don't find Napa super fancy schmancy at all.

The Carneros Inn is my favorite place to stay.

We were in Napa last October during crush and the weather was very nice. Maybe needed a light jacket in the evening? But the days were warm/no jacket needed for sure.

alexsmommy
08-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Definitely planned on being casual for daytime, but this is an excuse to get a great casual summer outfit! Or at least I'm using it as one...

We are staying in Yountville, still narrowing down restaurants - we needed to get our budget in order first!

I will definitely bring a wrap, though I figure we'll only do one true tour, the rest just tastings. It's only one full day after all. Though I love the ages the kids are at, I will be happy when we can do a longer trip away from them too.

I am overwhelmed by my food choices! French Laundry is NOT in the budget - though I'd love it to be. Redd and Mustard Grill are top contenders so far based on menu/price. It's a delightful dilemma to have, but I need to nail things down and make reservations!

mackmama
08-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Your trip sounds great!
Tra Vigne is a great restaurant for lunch or dinner. Outside seating also available. Mustard's is cute for lunch.

alexsmommy
08-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Anyone eat at Hurleys? We are doing Bottega for sure one night.

lyt202
08-01-2011, 10:32 PM
We went to a wedding at Tra Vigne awhile back and the food was great. I figure the non-event food should be even better.

Both Ad Hoc and Bouchon are also really good. Bouchon also has a bakery next door where you can pick up some yummy pastries to go.

endlessheather
08-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Anyone eat at Hurleys? We are doing Bottega for sure one night.

We have done lunch at Hurley's but not a dinner. It's nice, good food and casual but not my favorite in Napa. :)

TwinFoxes
08-02-2011, 01:24 PM
It's nice, good food and casual but not my favorite in Napa. :)

:yeahthat: