PDA

View Full Version : American Girl-Kanani

traciann
07-31-2011, 08:37 PM
We just went to the American Girl store yesterday and my dd fell in love with Kanani. She just got her first one when she turned 6-a JLY doll which she loves. Now I am considering getting her the doll for christmas. My concern is do you think she will be harder to get closer to Christmas? I know she is here just for the year but I don't know if she will sell out before then or will she be available until 12/31/10? Such pressure! She also wants the shaved ice stand too. Normally I would make her wait for one item...but since she will only be here this year I am torn!

Traci

Green_Tea
07-31-2011, 08:41 PM
In my experience the accessories sell out before the dolls. I'd order the shaved ice set now and put it away. I have ordered girl of the year dolls in November and December without an issue in the past, but if you want to be safe, maybe order her sometime around Halloween? Beware, though - my DD swore up and down that she wanted Samantha the year she was retired. Christmas rolled around, and on about 12/15 DD announced that she actually wanted Julie. Kids can be fickle :).

traciann
07-31-2011, 08:58 PM
That is just what I was needing to hear. I bought the Kanani book so we could read about her and I am sure that will get her familiar with the doll and want her more. Honestly I didn't even think about getting her another doll so soon-I took her to look for christmas ideas and we were mainly looking at the furniture. But its that only available for one year thing that makes me more likely to buy her this year.

hillview
07-31-2011, 09:09 PM
I feel like I would get it and put it away. Looks like their return policy is fantastic? If that is true, I'd get it and hide it with the receipt and then if it is the IT present you have it. If she changes her mind, you can easily return it.

ETA the return policy
We offer a 100% guarantee on all American Girl merchandise. If you are not completely delighted with your purchase, please return it for an immediate exchange, credit, or refund of the product purchase price. To return an item, simply complete this form and mail your item to:

American Girl
Returns Department
8300 Fairway Place
Middleton, WI 53562
Or bring the item and receipt to one of our retail locations for a refund or exchange.

/hillary

traciann
08-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Thank you ladies! I think I will order it sooner than later and hold on to the receipt just in case. Does anyone have Kanani? Howis taking care of that long hair? Now she is telling me she wants to be Kanani for Halloween! :)

Rainbows&Roses
08-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Despite the unruly hair (from what I have heard), she is incredibly popular. I have never seen a GOTY doll go on backorder, but she did for a few weeks in May.

I would definitely get her by Thanksgiving. I have heard some rumors QVC may be doing an AG show in September and they usually have the GOTY.

My DD bought the shave ice stand with her own $$ and it is really nice. Expensive, but it is a quality product.

traciann
08-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Despite the unruly hair (from what I have heard), she is incredibly popular. I have never seen a GOTY doll go on backorder, but she did for a few weeks in May.

I would definitely get her by Thanksgiving. I have heard some rumors QVC may be doing an AG show in September and they usually have the GOTY.

My DD bought the shave ice stand with her own $$ and it is really nice. Expensive, but it is a quality product.

I am glad the ice stand is nice. I didn't pull the ice stand down to look closer at like I did with the baking table (which was sooo nice!). I do remember QVC having a show last year...dd was still into bitty babies then. I think I will wait to see if they offer the GOTY and then for sure buy the doll, the ice stand and other essential accessories. I don't really like to spend that much money for christmas but I would be ok buying upfront and then giving later for her birthday if I need to. Thanks so much for your help!!

AngelaS
08-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Kanani is a beautiful doll, but yes, her hair is a nightmare. My girls bought her, unboxed her and played with in her in the van for our 90 minute drive. When we got home, I brushed and braided their hair and we've left it that way since.

MommyofAmaya
08-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Kanani is a beautiful doll, but yes, her hair is a nightmare. My girls bought her, unboxed her and played with in her in the van for our 90 minute drive. When we got home, I brushed and braided their hair and we've left it that way since.

I know nothing about AG dolls (I don't even like dolls), but fell in love with Kanani when we got the last catalog. I am also planning to get her and put her away until DD's 6th bday but am totally worried about the hair issue. Can AG's hair be cut to make it more manageable?

AngelaS
08-02-2011, 01:32 PM
No! Don't cut it! LOL In a couple years, she'll be able to care for it. She's a gorgeous doll and her hair is really part of that. There are plenty of shorter hair dolls that might be a better choice for a younger child.

KrisM
08-02-2011, 01:38 PM
I know nothing about AG dolls (I don't even like dolls), but fell in love with Kanani when we got the last catalog. I am also planning to get her and put her away until DD's 6th bday but am totally worried about the hair issue. Can AG's hair be cut to make it more manageable?

I would not cut it. If you're worried that much, get another doll with shorter hair and get the outfits, etc for Kanani.

I'm thinking of ordering Kanani for DD, too. She has picked it over and over again in the catalog and I mostly vetoed it this weekend for her. Maybe Christmas or her birthday. I'll wait and see what this QVC deal is all about though. Anyone know what it usually is?

traciann
08-02-2011, 01:50 PM
I was reading the QVC sale was in September last year. I wouldn't cut Kanani's hair either. I think I will do like the pp said they did...braid it. My dd has a JLY doll with shoulder length hair and its really easy to take care of. The only negative thing is that I can't put it in ponytails very well like dd wants. So her doll wears lots of headbands. :)

KrisM
08-02-2011, 04:37 PM
My DD would never go for keeping hair braided, so something to consider. Her AG doll is 3 days old and has had curls, 1 braid, 2 braid, a flip pony, pig tails, and just straight already. Doing her hair is a huge part of the doll for her. So far, a style only lasts a few hours at most :).

MommyofAmaya
08-02-2011, 05:33 PM
My DD would never go for keeping hair braided, so something to consider. Her AG doll is 3 days old and has had curls, 1 braid, 2 braid, a flip pony, pig tails, and just straight already. Doing her hair is a huge part of the doll for her. So far, a style only lasts a few hours at most :).

Yeah, DD wouldn't be able to leave in the braids. She loves to brush and style. Can any of you comment on why you don't wouldn't cut the hair? I have no interest in any of the shorter haired dolls and wouldn't plan to be resell at any point. Her outfits or hair aren't appealing to me, it is the golden skin and eyes (much like DD). I haven't seen another doll with those features.

AngelaS
08-02-2011, 11:04 PM
There are just like you dolls that have darker skin and shorter hair.

KrisM
08-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Yeah, DD wouldn't be able to leave in the braids. She loves to brush and style. Can any of you comment on why you don't wouldn't cut the hair? I have no interest in any of the shorter haired dolls and wouldn't plan to be resell at any point. Her outfits or hair aren't appealing to me, it is the golden skin and eyes (much like DD). I haven't seen another doll with those features.

Have you gone through all the My American Girl dolls to see if another has the medium skin and hazel eyes? There might be one already with shorter hair. Is that the only one she really wants?

As for cutting, I'd be afraid it would look like I cut it :). Otherwise, I guess you could do it.

MommyofAmaya
08-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Have you gone through all the My American Girl dolls to see if another has the medium skin and hazel eyes? There might be one already with shorter hair. Is that the only one she really wants?

As for cutting, I'd be afraid it would look like I cut it :). Otherwise, I guess you could do it.

DD has no interest in the AG catalog. I didn't either until I saw this particular doll. :heartbeat:

This one is the closest, but her hair seens darker and pretty long too.
http://store.americangirl.com/html/myagconfig2/main.html

Is Kanani's hair lighter than this? Maybe I can take her to a real salon... I might be able to talk my stylist into it!

KrisM
08-03-2011, 08:12 AM
DD has no interest in the AG catalog. I didn't either until I saw this particular doll. :heartbeat:

This one is the closest, but her hair seens darker and pretty long too.
http://store.americangirl.com/html/myagconfig2/main.html

Is Kanani's hair lighter than this? Maybe I can take her to a real salon... I might be able to talk my stylist into it!

Your link goes to the main page.