PDA

View Full Version : Anybody felt like ditching their prepreg wardrobe?

echoesofspring
07-31-2011, 10:41 PM
I'm just starting to get back into my pre preg clothes(other than shorts/sweats and tees), and as I've been unpacking my boxes, going through my closet, I've been thinking - I'm OVER these clothes. I haven't worn them in a year, most of the button up shirts won't fit due to BF-ing, a lot of this stuff is 5-10 years old...now i'm a mom, working from home.

In some ways it was so easy being pregnant, just a few shirts, couple dresses, 1 pair of jeans. (And for the first time in my life didn't hate my body, but that's different topic for another day...) I don't know - I just kind of want to ditch most all of it, start over and keep it really simple, just a few things I feel great in - anybody else experienced this?

twowhat?
07-31-2011, 10:46 PM
Yes, and my pre-preggo wardrobe wasn't old! I had bought a bunch of new clothes in the year before I got pregnant. I was excited about being able to wear them again post-pregnancy, but 1) I couldn't get anthing on for 10 months PP because my rib cage was too wide and boobs too big and hips too wide and 2) once I lost enough weight and my pelvis and rib cage went back to normal and I wasn't nursing at night anymore, NOTHING fit right. Pants didn't sit at the right spot on my waist anymore. Shirts looked awful because my saggy boobs hit at all the wrong places. Tops weren't long enough to not ride up over my belly bulge. I gave away literally everything that I wore PP and had to start from scratch. I still have lot of work to do but at least now I have a few things that I feel good in. Mostly jeans and t-shirts so good thing my office is casual!

So to answer your question YES I think it's reasonable to start all over!!!

echoesofspring
07-31-2011, 10:51 PM
I so understand. I think it all came to a head when we went out last night we friends, 2nd time out w/out DS (other time was our anniversary)....it was this whole closet of stuff and it took me 45 minutes to find something I felt good in. In addition to not fitting right, they just seemed tired...I've been holding on to a lot of stuff in case I suddenly found myself in need of 'business casual' type clothes, and I thought, there's no way I'd wear most of this!

And yes, I totally posted a few weeks ago on someone else's thread about purging my closet a while, obviously I have more work to do! :)

twowhat?
07-31-2011, 10:56 PM
I so understand. I think it all came to a head when we went out last night we friends, 2nd time out w/out DS (other time was our anniversary)....it was this whole closet of stuff and it took me 45 minutes to find something I felt good in. In addition to not fitting right, they just seemed tired...I've been holding on to a lot of stuff in case I suddenly found myself in need of 'business casual' type clothes, and I thought, there's no way I'd wear most of this!

LOL, YES!!! For me it came to a head when I was trying to find clothes for a business meeting. I was in the bathroom trying stuff on for an hour and finally DH asked if everything was OK. Answer (with tears) was NO! :)

♥ms.pacman♥
07-31-2011, 11:18 PM
interesting thread. i've been really wondering whether or not i will ever really wear my pre-preg clothes. i have a closet full of stuff that has been literally gathering dust for two years. i hate looking it all every.single.day. wondering when/if i will ever be able to rewear any of it. i wonder if it would be easier to get rid of stuff now and not have to see it anymore (plus have an excuse to go on a shopping spree later :))

all i can say is that OP i'm INSANELY jealous that you can already fit into your prepreg clothes at all. my dd was born a month before yours and i'm STILL in maternity stuff, nowhere near my pre-preg clothes (as it, i can't even get it on) :(

i agree though, even if my some miracle i could still fit in anything, 90% of my tops are impractical for nursing. my ds weaned at 12mo, but i have a feeling dd may go for much longer, and it seems crazy to keep clothes for years without being able to use them at all...

waitingforgrace
07-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Yes I keep boxing up clothes to get rid of. I had DD in Jan '10 and am 18 wks preg with #2. I quit working after having DD so I had lots of professional clothes I hadn't worn. I could still wear them but it doesn't make sense to hold onto them, if I do go back to work I'll want new stuff. It's daunting to look at a closet full of clothes and not know what you can put on that will fit well and look good.

kozachka
07-31-2011, 11:57 PM
I held on to most of the clothes that I had before DS. When I finally went back to working from the office when DS was almost 2.5 years old, I bought 3 new suits and some tops, but was able to wear my old suits and blouses during the rest of the week. I eventually replaced them, too, but it was nice to spread expenses for the new wardrobe. I still wear some of pre-DS tailored for me dresses, in fact I wore one last week-end. It'd fit better if I were to lose 2-5 more pounds, but I still got compliments on it. And after nursing DS for 26 months I was eventually able to get back into some (but not all) of my nice bras. So if you have things that are classic (which is my style) and expensive or difficult to replace, I'd hold on to those. I would get rid of everything that has stains or is out of style.

echoesofspring
08-01-2011, 12:30 AM
all i can say is that OP i'm INSANELY jealous that you can already fit into your prepreg clothes at all. my dd was born a month before yours and i'm STILL in maternity stuff, nowhere near my pre-preg clothes (as it, i can't even get it on)

It's a very small subset of prepreg clothes at this point! But last night squeezed into a pair of trouser jeans, ones that were decided less dorky than the only other pair that has fit so far. Squeezed! Which got me thinking about the other stuff...

citymama
08-01-2011, 12:55 AM
I've been overhauling my wardrobe in a major way. I fit into all the old stuff but dislike most of it, or find it incompatible with my lifestyle/environment right now. I still love my comfy old jeans and some of my nicer dresses and suits. But not the everyday stuff; I'm done with it. I started a thread about purging my old wardrobe and need to post an update. But yes, I highly recommend it!

goldenpig
08-01-2011, 01:12 AM
I'm pretty much back to PP weight but my problem is my proportions have changed--my nursing boobs and mummy tummy have thrown things off, so a lot of my shirts either are too tight to button, or the sweater/tops don't come down all the way over my midriff anymore. I don't see that changing all that much at this point so I think I'm going to have to get rid of those things even though they'd otherwise be usable (like I have a bunch of Ann Taylor skirts with matching cardigan twinsets, but now the tops are too short). Then there's the favorite clothes I've worn so much in the past that they're faded or have holes at the neck seam that are held together with pins (!) I think those have got to go too. My mini-fear/anxiety about clothes shopping and trying on clothes has prevented me from totally ditching my wardrobe, but hopefully I should be able to start making some purges now that I have bought a few new clothes finally.

momm
08-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Oh, me, me, me!!

Although I'm down to my pre-pregnancy weight, my body has changed so much. Like PPs are saying, my boobs and tummy attest for the baby :)

I have mentioned to DH that I need to purge, especially my super trim work clothes, but he thinks I can lose the weight. I need to explain to him that even if I lose the weight, the proportions won't go back to how I looked in my 20s.. (even if that depresses him, lol)

AnnieW625
08-01-2011, 01:30 PM
I have gotten rid of most of my pre preg. wardrobe, but some of the stuff I have PP DD2 is still sitting in bins in my garage. I got rid of most of it while I was pregnant with DD1, and if not then post DD1. I need to lose about 15 to 20lbs to be able to wear it agein.

lizzywednesday
08-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Absolutely!

I feel like ditching all of my pre-baby clothes all.the.time.

I'm slowly re-investing in myself as I lose more weight. (I've lost all the baby weight, but could stand to lose 50lbs on top of that.)

blondflava
08-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Yes!! I feel that about my PP clothes every day, no exaggerating here. It doesn't help that a lot of my clothes are from about 5 - and up years ago - when I was still in my 20's and was buying stuff from mandees and rainbow (LOL). When I got pregnant, I stuffed all of the clothes in the boxes and bags in the closet, hoping to fit in them after having DD and losing all the baby weight. Well, I started tossing stuff when DD was about 1 year old, the clothes seemed too juvenile, and most didn't fit, I weigh about the same but the body proportions changed, stuff didn't fit right. I still have a lot of stuff that I keep holding on to, for no reason really, if I didn't wear something for 3+ years, it won't happen now.. My closet is in DIRE need of re-organizing, so I might as well start donating stuff and thinking how to replace the stuff with less - but better quality - clothes that will make me look stylish yet comfy and age appropriate (there go the denim minis and hot shorts!)....

bandgsmama
08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
me too! i have a closet full of pre-preg clothes & am sloowly parting with things. (i have sitting out right now some of my college going out clothes for my college age cousin - even though it's probably out of style!) & a bag for a women's shelter ready to go.

hellokitty
08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
I basically had to abandon my pre-pg clothes. Even though I was back down to my pp wt in one wk after having DS1, it's like ALL of my fat had shifted and landed in my boobs and tummy. It is really weird to be down to the same wt as before, but to NOT be able to fit your old clothes, not to mention, it didn't LOOK like I had lost all of my pp wt, b/c of the extra lumpy spots. I think I've purged almost all of my pre-pg clothes, I hung onto a few things that are more timeless styles that I know I will eventually fit back into once I stop nursing and really buckle down and lose the wt. However, by the time I had DS2, most of my pre-pg clothes was already out of style, I laughed at my old pants, even though they still were in good shape, the cut of the pants was just so different from what it is now.

hillview
08-01-2011, 08:40 PM
I am under my PP weight and have pretty much purged much of my pp wardrobe -- a few items left here and here.
/hillary

CaliMommy
08-01-2011, 10:39 PM
YES! I'm a few lbs off of my pre-prego weight, but everything seems to have changed like the PPs have mentioned. I've purged my closet of a lot of old clothes, and have gone on mini shopping sprees. Honestly, I feel so much better in clothes that I've bought in the last yr after DS was born. It just fits better!

wendibird22
08-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Yes I did. Last year about the time DD2 turned 1yo I went to the mall and dropped about $400 at The Limited and LE. My post-DD1 pants all fit fine and were in good condition but I was really loathing my blouses, tops, sweaters and was feeling like my closet was very dated, frumpy, and in need of a refresher. I've never spent that much $ at one time on clothes before. It was just what I needed to feel good about getting dressed for work each day. I think it is important for moms to invest in themselves. We are worth it!