PDA

View Full Version : Tax Free Weekend sales?

WatchingThemGrow
08-01-2011, 07:33 AM
I'm hoping to stack some sales, coupons, and tax-free weekend sales up for the last few items we need for back to school.

For example...not sure how long this Gymboree BTS (http://www.gymboree.com/index.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374303003787&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446000303&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395917465&bmUID=1312164744328) school happens, but some things seem reasonable combined with the 20% off coupon mailer that will be good this weekend - when our tax free shopping occurs.

Part of me thinks I remember TCP doing $10 jeans, a 20% coupon and TFW all at the same time last year. Can't remember for sure, though.

Do you know/expect any to be happening?

ECMom
08-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Here's a list of the tax free wkends/wks for particapating states:

http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/sales_holiday.html

marymoo86
08-01-2011, 02:05 PM
I believe Gap's Friends and Family will coincide this weekend - 30% off or 35 with CC.

AnnieW625
08-01-2011, 02:26 PM
:hysterical: tax free sale, what's that? In California that would never fly:( Sometimes certain stores put stuff like appliances on sale and will pay the sales tax for you, but in general I have never heard of a tax free sale.

marymoo86
08-01-2011, 02:54 PM
:hysterical: tax free sale, what's that? In California that would never fly:( Sometimes certain stores put stuff like appliances on sale and will pay the sales tax for you, but in general I have never heard of a tax free sale.

No kidding - given the budget deficit and acrimony from both parties over the budget I'm surprised this survived.

WatchingThemGrow
08-01-2011, 03:39 PM
combined with the states that don't have tax on clothing anyway, it looks like there are 24 participating... at some level. http://www.bargaineering.com/articles/sales-tax-holiday-schedule.html

rlu
08-01-2011, 05:37 PM

Many states have back-to-school tax-free sales, usually limited to small dollar items (although I've seen home-use computers included before) and clothing.

About the only store around me (Bay Area) that does the "tax free weekends" is OSH (hardware store). CA is a seller tax state (like AZ with a transaction privilege tax) where the tax is imposed on the sale and the seller "may" pass along the tax to the customer. So the "tax-free" weekends we have are really just days where the seller absorbs the tax instead of passing it along. Sellers are also allowed to list prices "tax included" so often at craft fairs, etc., the seller is backing into a lower sale price so they can still offer items at a flat amount.

Don't confuse this with the use tax that we owe on any purchase from an out-of-state seller (i.e. mail-order or internet), that the customer owes unless the seller chooses to register to collect use tax voluntarily. Generally, this is true in any state, not just CA. In CA the sales and use rates are the same so it doesn't really matter what you call it. It does matter in AZ as the sales and use tax rates differ.

Class over.