PDA

View Full Version : Best cake frosting recipe

niccig
08-01-2011, 04:48 PM
I am having a friend's DS so she can go have a massage for her birthday. The boys and I are going to bake her a birthday cake. I use a packet cake and doctor it up ala the cake doctor.

But I need a good homemade frosting recipe. I've never successfully made buttercream frosting. So, any great recipes for frosting that kids will eat too - cream cheese is my favorite, but her son won't eat that.

Thanks

Eta. It needs to be white so we can add food colouring

happymom
08-01-2011, 04:57 PM
I made buttercream for cupcakes last weekend. I just used the recipe on the back of the Domino's Confectioner's Sugar box- I was told it was very yummy, although I personally don't like buttercream! Here's the recipe-

3 3/4 c. confectioner's sugar (or a 1 lb box if you have)
1/2 c. butter or margarine, softened
3-4 T. milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, combine all ingredietns. Beat at medium speed for 1-2 minutes until creamy. If desired, add more milk until frosting is spreading consistency. Makes enough to fill and frost 2-layer cake, 13x9x2 inch sheet cake, or 24 cupcakes.

**I wanted it to be dairy free, so I used margarine and rice milk. It came out a bit yellowish from the margarine, so when I colored it blue, it was a slightly off-blue color. Noone noticed though.

Also, i doubled the recipe (made 36 cupcakes) and instead of putting 2 teaspoons of vanilla, I put 1 tsp. vanilla and 1 tsp. almond extract.

Have fun! What a nice thing to do for your friend!

niccig
08-01-2011, 05:12 PM
So I searched and I think the problem I have had in the past is that the buttercream was grainy. I either didn't beat it long enough or need to soften the butter. So, will give that a go.

I can't do the shortening frosting. I know butter is high in fat but a natural fat.

And I am not all altruistic..I need an activity to occupancy the boys for a couple of hours.

happymom
08-01-2011, 05:29 PM
So I searched and I think the problem I have had in the past is that the buttercream was grainy. I either didn't beat it long enough or need to soften the butter. So, will give that a go.

I can't do the shortening frosting. I know butter is high in fat but a natural fat.

And I am not all altruistic..I need an activity to occupancy the boys for a couple of hours.

Yes, you definitely need to soften the butter. Doesn't take too long in the summer! Also, if you're using a Kitchen Aid, use the paddle not the whisk.

niccig
08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Yes, you definitely need to soften the butter. Doesn't take too long in the summer! Also, if you're using a Kitchen Aid, use the paddle not the whisk.

Thanks for this. I think I used the whisk last time.

Tondi G
08-01-2011, 05:40 PM
if you want to do Chocolate you could try pioneer womans recipe ....it sounds incredible

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/the_best_chocol/

she has a white frosting too

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2010/03/a-tasty-recipe-thats-the-best-frosting-ive-ever-had/

happymom
08-01-2011, 05:41 PM
My instinct was to use the whisk too- then I noticed the frosting was full of holes (popped air bubbles) and I switched to the paddle, and it looked much better after that. Still a little "holey", but I would assume that using the paddle from the beginning would prevent that.

niccig
08-01-2011, 05:54 PM
if you want to do Chocolate you could try pioneer womans recipe ....it sounds incredible

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2010/03/a-tasty-recipe-thats-the-best-frosting-ive-ever-had/

Now that white frosting is intriguing....flour in frosting!

craftysierra
08-01-2011, 05:57 PM
I made the pioneer woman's white frosting last year for my sister's kids birthdays and every one raved about it. If I remember right it was better after sitting. hmm the recipe states to make it the day you eat so my memory may be deceiving me.

niccig
08-01-2011, 05:59 PM
I made the pioneer woman's white frosting last year for my sister's kids birthdays and every one raved about it. If I remember right it was better after sitting.

Perfect.mi want to make it before the boys finish soccer camp, so we just have to do the cake together, and then frost.

Does it colouring well?

AnnieW625
08-01-2011, 06:01 PM

Now that white frosting is intriguing....flour in frosting!

I tried this one and I couldn't get it to work at all. I much prefer a buttercream that Happy Mom posted about. The Pioneer Woman one turned out grainy on me and I used whole milk and everything. I even put it in the fridge and it still didn't work.

SnuggleBuggles
08-01-2011, 06:04 PM
I didn't like the Pioneer Woman one at all. I still might try again but I'll let it mix ages longer. I posted about my bad experience with it and a poster suggested I mix it for like 10 minutes. It got gritty and not that great when I used it later that day at a decorate your own cupcake party.

Now, this Hershey's chocolate frosting recipe is fool proof, easy and delicious (butter, milk, cocoa powder and powdered sugar):
http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/184/HERSHEY%27S%20%22PERFECTLY%20CHOCOLATE%22%20Chocol ate%20Cake.aspx

Beth

craftysierra
08-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Perfect.mi want to make it before the boys finish soccer camp, so we just have to do the cake together, and then frost.

Does it colouring well?

It was very white so no reason not to color that I can think of. Really with 2 boys I think they will be happy with whatever you do :)

AnnieW625
08-01-2011, 06:08 PM
I didn't like the Pioneer Woman one at all. I still might try again but I'll let it mix ages longer. I posted about my bad experience with it and a poster suggested I mix it for like 10 minutes. It got gritty and not that great when I used it later that day at a decorate your own cupcake party.
Beth

See I actually think that was what was wrong with mine. I beated it for too long. I also noticed that with this one that my powdered sugar might have been a little dried out and that could've caused some grittiness (maybe it's because it's now sold in a bag at most places so it's harder to keep fresh vs. the traditional box), but yeah I am not overly excited to try it again.

happymom
08-01-2011, 08:29 PM
The Pioneer Woman recipe sounds really interesting, but I guess there's more room for error- with the boiling, beating, etc. I'm definitely going to try it though!

Niccig, what'd you end up doing?

niccig
08-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Niccig, what'd you end up doing?

I am making it Wed. I will do the buttercream recipe, as I really want to get that figured out.ni think the soft butter plus paddle of kitchen aid will make it better.

I will try pioneer woman's recipe another time, when it is just us to test it

Thanks all.

happymom
08-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Lol, I don't know why I thought it was for today!:duh:

Btw, the cake will need to cool completely before you frost it. Just mentioning it to make sure you have enough time for that. Otherwise, you could bake the cake, prepare the frosting, and just let the kids decorate to their hearts content!

boolady
08-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Now, this Hershey's chocolate frosting recipe is fool proof, easy and delicious (butter, milk, cocoa powder and powdered sugar):
http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/184/HERSHEY%27S%20%22PERFECTLY%20CHOCOLATE%22%20Chocol ate%20Cake.aspx

Beth

:yeahthat: That Hershey's recipe is awesome. For vanilla frosting, I swear by my BFF's recipe, which is an old-fashioned cooked icing like PW's, but the recipe uses very different proportions. I made PW's once when I couldn't find my recipe card for BFF's, but I didn't like it as much. This is BFF's version. It's crazy good, and I don't really like vanilla frosting. The key is to truly follow the mixing times she lists. I've never had it turn out grainy. I do make it the day I'm going to use it.

3 T. flour
1 c. milk
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 c. superfine sugar (not powdered, not granulated-- superfine)
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract

Put the flour in a medium saucepan and whisk with the milk on low, until it boils into a thick white sauce, whisking constantly. When thick, remove from heat. Continue whisking for a minute or so, then put aside for 5 minutes to cool.

Cut butter into chunks. Using electric mixer, soften butter at low speed, then increase to medium high and cream until light and smooth-- about 2 minutes. Add sugar, 1 T. at at time, over 3 minutes. Add flour/milk mixture to butter/sugar mixture 1 T. at a time over 30 seconds. Add vanilla and mix until white and fluffy, about 1 minute.

infomama
08-01-2011, 10:17 PM
I also tried PW's recipe and it wasn't great..good but not what I wanted. I am going to try a couple you all posted.
Anyone else crave cake after threads like this like I do?

mackmama
08-01-2011, 10:48 PM
from Magnolia Bakery
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/saras-secrets/magnolias-vanilla-cupcake-recipe/index.html
YUM

♥ms.pacman♥
08-01-2011, 10:56 PM
i made this frosting for cupcakes at a friend's a few weeks ago and i must say it was AMAZING. my DH (who hates frosting in general) even loved it! it's pink only because you add food coloring..you could leave that out or make it a different color. it has very small amt of champagne though (you can taste it only a little bit), so i don't know how comfortable you'd be giving it to kids (it wouldn't bother me at all, but i'm sure others may have different opinion).

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/pink-champagne-cupcakes/26f6f790-0852-4bfc-8f73-8d4cfc8cf496

Champagne Frosting
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup champagne
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 to 5 drops red food coloring

niccig
08-03-2011, 06:11 PM
I made buttercream for cupcakes last weekend. I just used the recipe on the back of the Domino's Confectioner's Sugar box- I was told it was very yummy, although I personally don't like buttercream! Here's the recipe-

3 3/4 c. confectioner's sugar (or a 1 lb box if you have)
1/2 c. butter or margarine, softened
3-4 T. milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, combine all ingredietns. Beat at medium speed for 1-2 minutes until creamy. If desired, add more milk until frosting is spreading consistency. Makes enough to fill and frost 2-layer cake, 13x9x2 inch sheet cake, or 24 cupcakes.

I had some success. The buttercream was looking perfect and then DS called for me, and I think I beat it for too long. I should have stopped at the 1 min mark. It still tastes great, but if you look at it closely, it looks like it is separating.

I'll try it again, and be more careful with the timing.

I'll also try some other recipes listed here.

happymom
08-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Yeah, its so hard to bake or cook with kids around! DD always manages to distract me just when its time to flip the burgers on the grill...then I remember 15 minutes later and ooops, we have hockey pucks for dinner. :ROTFLMAO:

Anyways, I'm glad it worked out somewhat. I'm sure your friend appreciated it, even if the icing separated a bit!