PDA

View Full Version : What is your 1 year old's sleep/nap schedule?

artvandalay
08-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Wondering what is normal for this age.. I can't seem to remember with my older kids when they dropped their morning nap.

My baby is 14 months old. She wakes up around 8:30 or 9am, takes first nap from 11 to 1, then takes second nap around 4 or 4:30, sleeps 1 to 1/2 hours.

She goes to bed around 9, sometimes 9:30 pm and sleeps the whole night through.

What's normal for this age? Thanks!

Pinky
08-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Wondering what is normal for this age.. I can't seem to remember with my older kids when they dropped their morning nap.

My baby is 14 months old. She wakes up around 8:30 or 9am, takes first nap from 11 to 1, then takes second nap around 4 or 4:30, sleeps 1 to 1/2 hours.

She goes to bed around 9, sometimes 9:30 pm and sleeps the whole night through.

What's normal for this age? Thanks!

Most things I've read say that two naps a day until around 18 months is good (if that works for your child, of course).

My DD is 16 months old now but has been on the same nap schedule for a while. She wakes up at around 6 - 6:30 and then naps at 9:00 and 2:00. Each nap is between 1-2 hours depending on the day. She goes to bed by 6pm each evening and sleeps until the next morning. I was afraid she was sleeping too much but the pediatrician was happy that she was getting so much sleep so we're just going with the flow.

Forgot to mention that she is in daycare part time and when she's there she only takes 1 nap.

elizabethkott
08-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Sleep?
HAhahahahahahaha! :hysterical:
Sleep SCHEDULE?!
BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA AAA(sob)

Stevie is a PITA. He used to STTN. NO MORE. :banghead:
Take last night/today for instance.
Down at 8:30.
Up at 11 (just as I'm heading upstairs to bed myself. ARGH.)
Down at 11:45.
Up at 1:30.
Down at 2:15.
Up at 4.
Down at 4:30.
Up. For. The. Day. at 6:45.
Didn't go down for his nap until *2pm*.
Up at 3:50.
I want to give him a tranquilizer dart. Both the fast acting and the slow release. I'm just so tired all the time. He turns one next week. And the whole sleep schedule thing just keeps getting worse with me home over the summer, I feel.
Sigh.
I'll be watching this thread.
And drinking a lot of coffee.
Alternated by wine.

artvandalay
08-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Most things I've read say that two naps a day until around 18 months is good (if that works for your child, of course).

My DD is 16 months old now but has been on the same nap schedule for a while. She wakes up at around 6 - 6:30 and then naps at 9:00 and 2:00. Each nap is between 1-2 hours depending on the day. She goes to bed by 6pm each evening and sleeps until the next morning. I was afraid she was sleeping too much but the pediatrician was happy that she was getting so much sleep so we're just going with the flow.

Forgot to mention that she is in daycare part time and when she's there she only takes 1 nap.

Interesting. So our kiddos are on about the same schedule (sleeping about 12 hours at night with two naps), your baby starts her day earlier. I hate that my baby goes to bed so late... I worry there is something wrong with this. Everyone I know puts their baby to bed so early, but she also sleeps in most mornings until 9. It's nice because I can exercise before she gets up. What stinks is at night my husband and I want to get the kids to bed and relax but this little stinker is going strong until 9 ish!

Sleep?
HAhahahahahahaha! :hysterical:
Sleep SCHEDULE?!
BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA AAA(sob)

Stevie is a PITA. He used to STTN. NO MORE. :banghead:
Take last night/today for instance.
Down at 8:30.
Up at 11 (just as I'm heading upstairs to bed myself. ARGH.)
Down at 11:45.
Up at 1:30.
Down at 2:15.
Up at 4.
Down at 4:30.
Up. For. The. Day. at 6:45.
Didn't go down for his nap until *2pm*.
Up at 3:50.
I want to give him a tranquilizer dart. Both the fast acting and the slow release. I'm just so tired all the time. He turns one next week. And the whole sleep schedule thing just keeps getting worse with me home over the summer, I feel.
Sigh.
I'll be watching this thread.
And drinking a lot of coffee.
Alternated by wine.

Oh no... Is he teething? If it makes you feel any better, she just became a really good sleeper/napper recently - just after she turned one. She had been getting up a few times a night, and putting her down for a nap was hard, she would scream and fight it. Now she goes down super easy, hopefully your little guy will figure it out.

elizabethkott
08-01-2011, 07:33 PM
He is teething. And nothing seems to help. Not the tylenol, not the ibuprofin. Not the orajel. Nor the homeopathic drops that everyone seems to swear by.
Sigh.
Good to know that it could get better...
The alternative will have me buying large shares of stock in Tanqueray.

lhafer
08-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Mine goes to bed at 8pmish, sometimes 8:30pm. Sleeps through the night (and has since she was 7 weeks old!), up between 7:30-8:30am for the day.

Naps depend on what we are doing. If we are around the house, she likes to nap usually around 11-1ish. If we are out and about, she usually naps on the go, but if she stays awake - she will nap when we get home.

She dropped her second nap of the day several months ago. She's 17 months old now.

amldaley
08-01-2011, 07:38 PM
At 14 months, DD went to one nap per daycare policy/schedule.

Awake around 6:30 am, nap from 11:45 am - 1:45 pm, bed sometime between 7:45 pm - 8:30 pm but she still wasn't sleeping through the night (unless she was in with us).

BabyH
08-01-2011, 07:46 PM
He is teething. And nothing seems to help. Not the tylenol, not the ibuprofin. Not the orajel. Nor the homeopathic drops that everyone seems to swear by.
Sigh.
Good to know that it could get better...
The alternative will have me buying large shares of stock in Tanqueray.

Girl, I am right there with ya. Right. There. I thought I was the only one.

I'm ready to run away to the Hampton Inn JUST to get a night of sleep (seriously, I don't even care to go to anything nicer, plus I happen to like Hampton Inns TYVM, lol).

(PS what are these magic drops you speak of?)

I'll be back to see your answer in a few......gotta refill the glass :54:

elizabethkott
08-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Girl, I am right there with ya. Right. There. I thought I was the only one.

I'm ready to run away to the Hampton Inn JUST to get a night of sleep (seriously, I don't even care to go to anything nicer, plus I happen to like Hampton Inns TYVM, lol).

(PS what are these magic drops you speak of?)

I'll be back to see your answer in a few......gotta refill the glass :54:

The "magic drops" are the Camilia drops. The ones I got I found at Whole Foods. Two of my friends had GREAT success with these and their kids teething. Apparently, Stevie is immune to the magic of the drops.
Grrrrrrr.....

Pinky
08-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Interesting. So our kiddos are on about the same schedule (sleeping about 12 hours at night with two naps), your baby starts her day earlier. I hate that my baby goes to bed so late... I worry there is something wrong with this. Everyone I know puts their baby to bed so early, but she also sleeps in most mornings until 9. It's nice because I can exercise before she gets up. What stinks is at night my husband and I want to get the kids to bed and relax but this little stinker is going strong until 9 ish!

Yep, the schedule looks the same... I wouldn't worry about the 9pm bedtime especially since she's getting such a long stretch in a row which I think is whats most important. Are you a SAHM full-time? I work part-time so since she has to get up early on certain days we just keep the same wake-up schedule all week and that seems to work for her. If I was home all week I'd definitely go for a later bedtime/wakeup. Although, I'm wondering how you keep your house quiet enough to not wake her up in the mornings... My loud DH getting ready for work and my dogs tearing down the stairs would definitely wake her up. :)

wellyes
08-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Up 7:30
Nap 10:30
Nap 3:30
Bed 8:30

Sounds very similar to yours. I love two naps!

artvandalay
08-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Are you a SAHM full-time? I work part-time so since she has to get up early on certain days we just keep the same wake-up schedule all week and that seems to work for her. If I was home all week I'd definitely go for a later bedtime/wakeup. Although, I'm wondering how you keep your house quiet enough to not wake her up in the mornings... My loud DH getting ready for work and my dogs tearing down the stairs would definitely wake her up. :)

Yes, I"m a FT SAHM so she's able to sleep in... oh, and if you're wondering how she's able to sleep through DH getting ready for work and my other two boys getting ready in the morning, I have a white noise machine in her room that is always on. When DH gets up in the morning before he showers, he shuts her door. I have a monitor in her room so I can hear her when she wakes up.

And it's 9:05pm here, DH is watching History Channel, and DD is walking around with a cookie in her mouth. I'm gonna try and get this kiddo to bed!

CaliMommy
08-01-2011, 10:52 PM
DS will turn 14mo this week.

He normally goes down by 7:30ish. Wakes up around 6-7. He only takes one nap, around noon, and naps for about 1-2 hrs. He generally SSTN, but I think he's teething, so some nights he'll wake up 2 or 3 times. I see three teeth popping through now, so I'm hoping the worst is through. Poor kid.

♥ms.pacman♥
08-01-2011, 11:01 PM
honestly that sounds like a dream schedule for that age..a toddler who STTN for ~11 hrs, AND takes 2 naps for 2 hrs each? insanely jealous here. :)

my ds at that age STTN and did 2 naps but they were getting down to be 30-45min each, or he'd nap for 1.5 hrs the first one and then it would be 6pm (too late) before he got tired enough for 2nd nap.

around 15mos we switched him to 1 nap schedule and only then would he relaiably nap more than 1.5 hours. he goes down around 8:30 or 9pm and wakes up around 8am, naps from 1-3pm (sometimes longer).

Beth24
08-01-2011, 11:12 PM
13 month old here...

Wake at 7
Nap at 10 to 11:30
Nap at 4 to 5:30
Sleep at 8:30 or 9

I can see the writing on the wall though that he will switch to 1 nap soon. It is getting harder and harder for him to fall asleep in the afternoon, and his nap keeps getting later and later. But I guess the good thing is that he will go to sleep earlier.. OP I guess we are in the same boat until they give up that second nap! And I don't get the late wake up time either!

Mrs.Skeeter
08-01-2011, 11:19 PM
My LO turned 1 on July 21st. Here is his usual sleep schedule.

Up for the day: 5:30 am
Morning nap: 8:30-10:30 am
Afternoon nap: 1:30-3:30 pm
Bedtime: 6:30 or 7 pm

My son takes after his Mommy and likes to sleep. :) I'm a newly FT SAHM, formerly a student with my son in daycare 3 days per week.

Giantbear
08-01-2011, 11:22 PM
our 14 month old gets up around 7, three hours later goes down for 1.5 hours, another power nap for 45 in the pm around 4 and to bed at 8:15. She never slept for the recommended hours per day.

candaceb
08-01-2011, 11:24 PM
wouldn't be nice if we could pick and choose the parts of each baby's schedule that we like best?

I wish DS could stay up a little later because we can never do something like go out to dinner (as a family) on Friday night, but overall I really can't complain. He'll be one in less than 2 weeks :eek:

6:30-7:00 up for the day
9-10 or sometimes 10:30 nap
1-2 or sometimes 2:30 nap
6:30 bed

He recently dropped the 3rd nap, and I feel like he needs to sleep longer at the second nap to make up for it, because he's just barely making it through dinner these days.

ged
08-02-2011, 08:01 AM
13 month old here...

I can see the writing on the wall though that he will switch to 1 nap soon. It is getting harder and harder for him to fall asleep in the afternoon, and his nap keeps getting later and later. But I guess the good thing is that he will go to sleep earlier.. OP I guess we are in the same boat until they give up that second nap!

DD2 is almost 15 months and we started going to one nap a couple of days ago. Her second nap was getting later and later in the afternoon, and sometimes, she would not even be tired when I put her down at 9:30 pm. Now, she naps between 1:30-3:30 (plus or minus 30 minutes). Up around 8am, down around 8:30 pm.

elizabethkott
08-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Last night:
Down 8:45
Up: 1am
Down: 1:30am
Up for the day: 6:30

Better... but not great.
We have swimming today at 9:30am, so hopefully we'll get a decent nap in around 11-1. That's my "ideal". HA!

artvandalay
08-02-2011, 08:29 AM
So they usually drop the morning nap first, right? I seem to remember this was the case with my older two.

When school starts up in a few weeks, I'm going to have to get her up a little earlier. My son needs to be at preschool at 9, so I think I'll start waking her up at 8. The rest of us are all up at 6:30am during the school year. It's nice to have her sleep in a bit, though, while I'm dealing with breakfasts, lunch, getting my other DS out the door to get the bus.

Perhaps because I'll be waking her up at 8, she'll go down for the night at 8 instead of her usual 9pm.

ged
08-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Well, at least in our case, the late afternoon nap gets dropped, and the morning nap (the longer nap) is pushed back to later in the day.

Beth24
08-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Well, at least in our case, the late afternoon nap gets dropped, and the morning nap (the longer nap) is pushed back to later in the day.

Exactly. The second nap is dropped and then you just try to push the first one late enough so they can make it to bed time. It's a little painful at first bc it takes some time for the am nap to stretch out. But after a few weeks they adjust.

BabyBearsMom
08-02-2011, 12:09 PM
DD is almost 16mo. She sleeps from 7:30pm to 6:30am each night and then naps 12:30pm to 2:30pm most days.

sunnyside
08-02-2011, 01:06 PM
7:30 Wake up
11:30-12:30 or 1 Nap
5:00-7:00 Nap
9:30 Bedtime.

She is in daycare and sometimes her morning nap is only 30 minutes. It's not working great for us because she is tired and falls asleep as soon as I get her.

When she is home with me, she usually sleeps 11:3-1:30 and again at around 4:00 for an hour.

We are trying to move everything earlier and her school is helping try to get her to nap twice so she isn't sleeping at home in the evening.

joules
08-02-2011, 02:44 PM
We have the worst nap schedule. DS is almost 17 months.

On weekdays the nanny magically gets him to do 2 naps:
Wake: 7:30
Nap1: 11
Nap2: 3 or 4
(each nap is for an hour or 1.5)
Bedtime: 10:30 or 11:00 PM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried to convince her to drop one nap, but she insists that he needs 2 naps as he is tired. I don't think she can "force" him to sleep if he doesn't want to....so I'm sure he's really tired so that's why he's taking 2 naps.

On weekends, I guess running errands and everything keeps him up so he takes 1 nap:
Wake: 7:30
Nap1: 2:00
(naps for about 2 hours.)
Bedtime: rarely 10pm. Mostly 11pm. At times even 11:30 or 11:45pm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone thinks I'm harming DS developmentally by not trying to get him to sleep earlier, PLEASE feel free to let me know.

I am thinking maybe he takes after DH who really doesn't need a lot of sleep at all?

luckytwenty
08-02-2011, 03:00 PM
I'm going to answer even though DS is 9 months old, because for some reason, since he was maybe 6 weeks old, he's "napped like a 1 year old." He takes one mega-sized nap from about 12-3 and maybe a catnap or two in the car. At night he sleeps 7 pm to 6ish am. He usually sleeps through the night but I won't say ALWAYS because the last time I did that, he woke up at 1 that very night!!

sweetsue98
08-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Per daycare schedule, nap time is 12 to 2pm. She going to bed at 7pm and gets up at 6:30am. When my DD is home on the weekends....she sneaks in 2 naps sometimes.

PGTB
08-08-2011, 02:42 PM
DS is 15 months and has been on 1 nap schedule for two months now. He just transitioned to it himself.

wakeup - 6-7am
nap - 1.5-2 hours on avg. From noon to 2pm, sometimes a bit earlier, sometimes later.
bedtime - around 8pm, sometimes a bit earlier and some nights way later like 9-9:30pm.

He is a morning bird and this drives me crazy, since he also wakes up several times a night. On a good night he'd wake up about 2 times, nurse quickly and asleep in 5 min. On avg night, he would give us one *good* stretch of 3-4 hours and would be up every hour from 4am. Also likes cluster wakeups, like going to sleep and then waking up 15 min later and again and again... agh.. that is when he is hurting (teething, cold, gas). the worst are the marathon waking session in the middle of the night - 3 hours on avg. these happen very rarely - usually attribute to a major milestone. The latest he had was worst, he was up from midnight to 4am :(

hoodlims
08-17-2011, 04:57 PM
I remember 14-15 months being the WORST time for us in terms of naps. She wanted the first morning nap around 10, would sleep at least an hour, but wouldn't take an afternoon nap. I forced her to transition to 1 nap at 15 months. She was very, very tired, but would sleep 3 hours after I kept her up to around 11:30 or 12ish. I think kids transition to 1 nap around 16-18 months. Your schedule sounds fine as long as she is sleeping. I read 13 hours in a 24hr period is what is to be expected at this age. Break it down however it works best for your kid.