PDA

View Full Version : When do you scrape you grill grates?

Carrots
08-01-2011, 09:15 PM
I got a little irritated with DH tonight when I turned on the grill and found residue from our last grilled meal on the grates.

If I grill, I scrape the grates with the wire brush as soon as the food comes off. DH doesn't ad waits until the grill is about to be used again before he scrapes.

If you or DH (or both) grill, when do you scrape?

(This was supposed to have a poll, but I submitted the comment before I checked the "poll" button and now I can't figure out how to add one. Oh well.)

Carrots
08-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Mods, I posted in the wrong board. Can you move to The Lounge? SORRY!!!

LMPC
08-01-2011, 09:46 PM
I scrape like your DH (sorry) right before the next time I grill. I get the grill nice and hot and then scrape off all the gunk and cobwebs.

Pinky
08-01-2011, 10:08 PM
I scrape like your DH (sorry) right before the next time I grill. I get the grill nice and hot and then scrape off all the gunk and cobwebs.
My DH does the same thing... before cooking the next meal.

gobadgers
08-01-2011, 10:14 PM
I don't use the grill, but DH scrapes when he finishes grilling. I think he worries about it attracting animals.

boolady
08-01-2011, 10:22 PM

Me, too. That's what my dad taught me to do, grilling ninja that he thinks he is. If there are ever big chunks of food stuck to the grates, we leave the grill on for a bit to burn off, but otherwise, for just sauce and other typical residue, we do it like LMPC.

FedBaby
08-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Me, too. That's what my dad taught me to do, grilling ninja that he thinks he is. If there are ever big chunks of food stuck to the grates, we leave the grill on for a bit to burn off, but otherwise, for just sauce and other typical residue, we do it like LMPC.

Ditto. Heat up the grill then scrape.

Giantbear
08-01-2011, 11:19 PM
i leave the grill on after cooking for a bit to burn off the grills and the leave it till next time to clean

s7714
08-02-2011, 12:17 AM
My DH scrapes the grill before and after every single use. He lets it heat up, sprays it down with vinegar solution and then scrubs with a wire brush. Likewise after cooking and it has cooled a little he does the same process.

suzi
08-02-2011, 12:21 AM
Clean after each use with the Grill Daddy while the grates are stlii hot. It works well & is really easy.

SpaceGal
08-02-2011, 07:13 AM
I scrape before I grill. I remember reading it in the manual that it was best to do it that way for our grill....helps season it or something.

Penny's Pappa
08-02-2011, 08:07 AM
I heat up the grill and scrape before cooking. I could scrape after cooking, but I'm too busy eating :)

Kindra178
08-02-2011, 09:56 AM
I heat up the grill and scrape before cooking. I could scrape after cooking, but I'm too busy eating :)

Me too. By the way, I just got a Grill Daddy and that thing is incredible.

pinkmomagain
08-02-2011, 10:59 AM
I scrape like your DH (sorry!).

nfceagles
08-02-2011, 02:52 PM
I do it before cooking like your DH. I just know I would forget the gas was on if I did it after cooking. (I like to turn it up high for a few minutes, so I can't do it immediately after pulling the food off. )

new_mommy25
08-02-2011, 03:08 PM
DH scrapes before cooking. I don't even know how to turn on our grill.

eh613c
08-02-2011, 03:44 PM
I usually clean it after I used it. DH, however, just leaves it until its next use (I let him clean it). He first gets the coals going. Once the grill is hot, he scrapes it and then takes a paper towel and put a little bit of olive oil and wipes the grill with it.

BabyBearsMom
08-02-2011, 03:54 PM
My DH scrapes it after he cooked while the grill is still warm but not hot anymore. He is a neat-freak though and doesn't like any thing to look less than pristine.

BayGirl2
08-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Pretty sure my DH scrapes both before and after.

He's a grilling/BBQ/Smoking fanatic and we have a huge charcoal smoker/grill. I used to actually grill on my own, but he's so in to it that I've let that skill atrophy. Its actually one of the domestic skills I feel bad about becoming helpless on. (I imagine its similar to the feeling SAHM's get about certain skills after being out of the work environment for a while.)