PDA

View Full Version : weaning question

jbbhb
08-02-2011, 02:25 AM
Hoping for some btdt advice...

DS has just turned one, we have been down to only bedtime nursing for a few weeks now at least, if not a full month. I have mixed feeling about when to wean him completely, he doesn't express any desire to nurse at all, but when he sees that we are about to nurse, he definitely goes for it. I'm not in any hurry to wean him, but I think he would be fine if I did.

He eats all of his solid food meals, so I think the night time nursing is more just for comfort/routine, although he has no trouble going to bed when I am working a night shift or something.

My DH and I are going to Vegas this weekend for our anniversary and leaving the baby for the first time. I have 5 nights before we leave. Should I just wean him now so he has a few days to adjust before we aren't here? Or should I just wait and see what happens if I don't nurse him for 2 nights. Will I dry up that fast? I suppose I could take my pump, but ugh... I really dislike pumping.

wendibird22
08-02-2011, 08:44 AM
If you are happy to continue then I see no need to wean. My DD2 is 19mos and nurses just once a day. I've been able to go away for a day or two and not pump/nurse and be fine. I don't dry up that quickly. The babysitter will offer her a sippy of water or cow's milk. But if you feel ready to be done then by all means try weaning, although be prepared for him to want to nurse when you return just as a means to reconnect with you.