PDA

View Full Version : IUD's?

glbb35
08-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Since we just had our newest little man, I know I need to start thinking about birth control. I have terrible, terrible periods when I do get them therefore I need something to help regulate them but keep them in check. (My periods are so strong sometimes I get physically sick for days and I am a tough cookie when it comes to pain. ) If DH gets sniped than that won't really help me out. Birth control pills were seriously messing my hormones up last summer. My endocrinologist got me off them as I was having so many issues. So off I went and I ended up pregnant the one time we didn't do anything preventive. I am so thankful of course but know I have to look into all the options now.

For those with an IUD, what kind do you have and what are the pros and cons of having it? How do you fair with your periods and hormones in general? Any endocrin issues? Any other good options out there? I have a few friends who have IUD's with no issues. I have had a few others who had terrible times with them.

I appreciate the feedback!

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, surprise 7/11!

wendibird22
08-02-2011, 10:34 AM
You can follow my tale of woe here (http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=397908). I had a Mirena for 8mos and had it removed. I had pretty normal periods before, and didn't react badly to other hormonal BC, and ended up with constant spotting, annoying side effects, and a 4cm simple cyst on my left ovary (that did resolve after IUD removal). My experience isn't necessarily common, but I don't think it is uncommon either. I really wanted it to work for me and was so so so disappointed that it didn't.

SnuggleBuggles
08-02-2011, 10:41 AM
I know you have bad periods but the IUD with hormones, Mirena, might not be a great choice. Some people love it though but others report hormone related issues (weight gain, mood swings...).

I love my copper IUD. Periods were worse the first few months but then got to be totally back to my normal and ok. I love the convenience of not thinking about b.c. for 10 years too!

Beth

Dr C
08-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I loved my Mirena but it did fall out about 2 years after I had it put in, which was rather disconcerting. I liked that my periods pretty much went away (so when I was spotting for a month that was what led me to discover that it was dangling from my cervical os, LOL). But I would do it again if DH hadn't gotten himself snipped.

swissair81
08-02-2011, 01:18 PM
I had a copper IUD. I didn't get any periods on it at all because I was nursing full time. I would ask someone who had periods with it if they had heavy bleeding. I like that it was nonhormonal, because hormones seem to give me a dual personality disorder. I am practically bipolar with hormones. Not for me, not for my kids.

american_mama
08-02-2011, 02:21 PM
I have a copper IUD, but since temporarily heavier periods are a common side effect, that seems a poor choice for you. I have completely irregular periods and frankly liked it that way (because they are also infrequent, like ever 2-4 months), so I was curious how the Paraguard would effect that. I assume I have some underlying endocrine issues related to the infrequent periods, but nothing that any ob/gyn has ever gotten too excited about, especially since I never had trouble with fertility or pregnancy. No general endocrine issues. I have never used hormonal birth control and didn't want to start, so no experience to compare to.

With the paraguard, my periods are just a tad more frequent (every 2-3 months), no more predictable (but I'm ok with that), and were heavier for about 15 months. They went from about 5 days, with maybe one heavy day, to about 7 days with 1-2 very heavy day. No one loves that, but it was tolerable, and my periods have returned to my normal that I'm into my second year with the IUD.

I have no BTDT, but would you ever consider trying something other than traditional pads or tampons? Some people with very heavy periods find their bleeding and cramps are better with the Diva cup or something similar, cloth pads, or possibly even some of the more natural tampon or pad options.

A friend with a very heavy period was regularly losing so much blood that she eventually become severely anemic and was hospitalized for a blood transfusion. She went on Seasonique BCPor the like for a long time after that, to reduce the frequency of her heavy flow, and I think she was happy with that. Might be an option for you.

Indianamom2
08-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Well, I've never done any other form of BC, but I too have very heavy periods when I have them, plus awful migraines during that oh-so-fun time. My OBGYN put me on LoEstrin FE continuously (I don't take the placebo, or in this case iron, pills). I haven't had a period in forever (at least 7 months, probably longer). It's glorious.

Even before then, my periods where lighter and shorter and sometimes non-existent, when taking the LoEstrin FE 24 normally.

It might be something to at least keep in mind.

ShanaMama
08-02-2011, 04:47 PM
You really need to differentiate between the Paraguard (copper, non hormonal) & Mirena (hormones). The main complaint people have about the Paraguard is heavier periods with more severe cramping, so that doesn't sound like it would be an option for you.
The Mirena has hormones but it's supposed to circulate in your body significantly less than BCP. Some people find that it eliminates their period entirely. My midwives have pushed me towards it- it seems to be very popular. I would not consider Mirena becase like a pp, I am not a nice person on hormones.
(I had 2 Paraguards & was generally happy with them but did find that I had very heavy periods the second time around & more cramping than usual. I also feel when I ovulate- don't know if that is IUD related.)

Singlemom
08-02-2011, 06:33 PM
I have had Mirena twice. Once after my daughter was born..then had it replaced 5 years later. The 2nd one lasted 2 years..and all of a sudden I'm pregnant! The Mirena was still in and I had to have it removed right away once I found out.

That being said, I still LOVED Mirena!! I had NO side effects and NO period for the 1st one. With the 2nd implant, I had irregular periods, but they were still very short, painless, and very little bleeding.

I LOVE Mirena...even though for some reason, the 2nd one didn't work. I know that is a very odd thing to happen. This entire pregnancy has been "against all odds" so far, so I'm somehow not that surprised. LOL! For more about my story check out "Scared to death" in the main BB section.

BayGirl2
08-02-2011, 07:35 PM
There was a recent thread in the Lounge on the different IUD's so you may want to search there.

I've had the Mirena twice and had very good experiences with it. Both times I had it removed when I planned to get pregnant. After the first month or two I didn't get my period at all, and I had no hormonal side effects. It worked really well for me.

You'll see there are bad experiences online with both. I do believe it has a lot to do with body chemistry so if you are interested it is worth trying the IUD type that appeals to you more.

tiapam
08-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Since we just had our newest little man, I know I need to start thinking about birth control. I have terrible, terrible periods when I do get them therefore I need something to help regulate them but keep them in check. (My periods are so strong sometimes I get physically sick for days and I am a tough cookie when it comes to pain. ) If DH gets sniped than that won't really help me out. Birth control pills were seriously messing my hormones up last summer. My endocrinologist got me off them as I was having so many issues. So off I went and I ended up pregnant the one time we didn't do anything preventive. I am so thankful of course but know I have to look into all the options now.

For those with an IUD, what kind do you have and what are the pros and cons of having it? How do you fair with your periods and hormones in general? Any endocrin issues? Any other good options out there? I have a few friends who have IUD's with no issues. I have had a few others who had terrible times with them.

I appreciate the feedback!

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, surprise 7/11!

If you and DH are done having kids, then I would ask him to get snipped. Even if you use a form of BC to help with the periods, you could still get pregnant anyway as they all have some failure rate. Then try to fix your horrible periods without worrying about birth control. Why do you see an endo? Your periods could be a sign of thyroid issues. I would want to get to the bottom of this, rather than just try to make your periods more tolerable. IIRC, my worst periods were when I had undiagnosed or undertreated thyroid disease.

MommyofAmaya
08-03-2011, 10:36 AM
You really need to differentiate between the Paraguard (copper, non hormonal) & Mirena (hormones). The main complaint people have about the Paraguard is heavier periods with more severe cramping, so that doesn't sound like it would be an option for you.

:yeahthat:
I would skip the Paragard if you already have issues with painful periods. I never had any issues prior to getting it and became totally immobile during days 2&3 afterwards. I just had it removed and am patiently waiting for my period to start so I can see the difference. Any day now.

glbb35
08-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks Ladies for your postings and suggestions. I have a lot to look into. Pam, I see an endocrinologist as I do have hypothyroidism. Last summer was an awful summer for me. I dragged and dragged and was in and out of the endo's office. My thyroid levels were ok but my doc could tell I was really off. We tried several things to set my body back on track to no avail. So it was suggested to come off the pill I was on and see how I felt. I felt better within a few weeks. So my doc said go through a cycle or two and see how you do and then we will get you cover with BC some other way. I scheduled myself for an IUD but before that could happen I had one period that was horrible and on day 8 after my period started I ovulated early (not unusual for me to ovulated at a weird time) and became pregnant. I have always struggled with my periods and with the thyroid issues. Some pills would work great but not for more than a year or two and then we would have to switch and get pregnant which would reset my system. But then it would go haywire again. Getting DH snipped would deal with the "no more kiddos" issue but not help my hormones.

Years ago I was on that LoEstrin mentioned by Indianamom and I too did not take the placebo. It actually did well on it if memory serves until a cyst on my ovary messed it all up. I might look into that again or the copper IUD. Didn't know there was such a thing! I hate all these hormones. they are great for having kids but terrible on my system in general.

Thanks everyone and I will keep looking into it.

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09 and newborn 7/11

tiapam
08-03-2011, 03:43 PM
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

Tondi G
08-08-2011, 12:30 AM
I had a paragard copper iud. It was not good for me. I don't have heavy periods for the most part and the paragard made my cycles very painful and super heavy and long. 7 to 10 day period and then my cycles seemed to get shorter so I was having a period every 24 days... it was a PITA! I stuck it out for over a year and then had it removed. My body didn't like it!

I have several friends who had a lot of issues with the Mirena so I wouldn't go that route either. I guess IUD's just aren't for me.

MommyofAmaya
08-08-2011, 08:05 PM
:yeahthat:
I would skip the Paragard if you already have issues with painful periods. I never had any issues prior to getting it and became totally immobile during days 2&3 afterwards. I just had it removed and am patiently waiting for my period to start so I can see the difference. Any day now.

Updating this thread b/c I just experienced my first pain-free period since six months after I got the paragard. When I went in (twice) to report my symptoms, the midwives convinced me that it couldn't be the IUD causing my symptoms (painful cramps, labor-like pains when having a BM during my period, etc.). When an ultrasound showed no sign of endometriosis, they recommended that I see a gastroenterologist who said it sounded like pelvic floor issues. I started doing pelvic floor exercises since then (3mo) but the painful periods persisted until the IUD was removed. I had ZERO symptoms this cycle and nearly cried for joy when I realized it was over on day 4 (as opposed to day 7 or 8).