PDA

View Full Version : Cashback on Ebay?

janine
08-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Do any programs offer this for ebay purchases?

kellybelly0513
08-02-2011, 10:38 AM
They used to do ebay cashback on upromise but they stopped it. If you search for ebay there is a message that comes up and says that ebay suspended doing cashback programs in the spring.

janine
08-02-2011, 10:52 AM
how about with discover card - does that provide cash back on all purchases? or is it only certain retailers?

poohbear
08-02-2011, 12:47 PM
how about with discover card - does that provide cash back on all purchases? or is it only certain retailers?

discover, like many credit cards, offers up to 1% back on every purchase regardless of what it is. They have a tiered structure, so after you charge a certain amount of $$, you receive a higher percentage back. They offer higher percentages in different categories throughout the year though. If you paid with your discover card on ebay, you would get up to 1% back.

As PP noted, ebay has suspended cashback sites supposedly through the fall, but who knows?

janine
08-02-2011, 01:11 PM
thanks pooh. I read that ebay might be back in the fall after they analyze the revenue from cash back - so who knows. I also noticed other retailers dropped off from ebates and other cash back providers (Ballard Designs for example).

Re: Discover card - good to know. We were looking at cars on line/ebay - and started me thinking. I assume they have no annual fee, etc. (I'll have to go take a look).

3isEnough
08-03-2011, 12:55 AM
Re Discover, there are two types of "cash back", though I'm not sure what terminology they officially use. There's the standard kind of 1%-ish rebate that most credit cards provide (what poohbear wrote about above) and Discover does provide that. You get that whether you buy online, in store, whatever.

And then there's the click-through cashback that you get when online shopping, similar to ebates, MrRebates, etc. Discover's cashback is really great; I find they almost always surpass what other sites offer and sometimes, they far surpass it. Discover cashback for Groupon is 15%. That's the only one that comes to mind at the moment, but their cashback for most stores is great. I would highly recommend them if you do a lot of online shopping.