PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine at 34+ weeks

lmr1101
08-02-2011, 05:10 PM
I think I've done pretty well in avoiding caffeine while pregnant however....
I'm 34 weeks now and really wanting an iced coffee (just with milk) usually late in the afternoon. The problem is I don't have access to decaf because everyone else in the office won't drink it and there's only 1 coffee pot.

So honestly, how bad is it if I have 1 cup of iced coffee after 34 weeks. Like I said, I feel as if I've been really good this pregnancy - gave up my 1 can a day diet coke and all the other things I'm not supposed to eat or drink.

nrp
08-02-2011, 05:18 PM
My doc said up to 2 cups of coffee per day, and I went through a spurt a few weeks ago when I had a similar iced latte craving for awhile that I indulged. I probably wouldn't do more than one a day, but I say go for it!

brittone2
08-02-2011, 05:19 PM
I was pretty much caffeine free in my first pgcy, but I definitely indulged in 1-2 cups a day during my 2nd and 3rd pregnancy. As long as you don't have other reasons to avoid caffeine I'd treat yourself to the iced coffee and not feel even a little bit guilty.

janine
08-02-2011, 05:23 PM
I think you are fine to have a cup a day or maybe every other day to ease into it. I have been drinking decaf, but it's been hard for me to avoid the splenda.

soon2b4
08-02-2011, 05:31 PM
My doctor has always said up to 2 caffeinated drinks per day was fine. I usually stay under that, but have indulged some days (am now at 36 weeks with this pregnancy). DD1 is now 7, and I have seen no ill effects from similar pattern during that pregnancy. She's ahead in school, well behaved and healthy. I would go for it. ;)

BayGirl2
08-02-2011, 05:34 PM
I allowed 1 caffeine beverage/day in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters of my 1st pregnancy. This time I've been more lenient and cut way down in the 1st tri but have had 1 diet coke and 1 big coffee/day since the beginning of the 2nd trimester.

From the research I've seen, the biggest risks are:
1. Miscarriage in the 1st trimester
2. Baby being especially irritable while going through withdrawal after birth

I actually plan to cut out caffeine when I'm about 37 weeks to make sure the baby "detoxes" before birth. (Just realized that makes me sound like a really bad mother.) But right now I'm 33 weeks and don't feel like the risk is very high for a moderate amount of caffeine daily. With a 2 year old and a FT job that requires early mornings and significant sleeping problems I needed to find a compromise somewhere.

ETA: I'm actually not a fan of decaf while pregnant either because of the processing used to remove the caffeine. When I do give up caffeine entirely I drink herbal teas or Teacino - a non-caffeinated herbal coffee that I actually like quite a bit.

amm40
08-02-2011, 05:41 PM
From the research I've seen, the biggest risks are:
1. Miscarriage in the 1st trimester
2. Baby being especially irritable while going through withdrawal after birth

I also have seen some research, but unfortunately don't have a study to give you, showing babies do go through caffeine withdrawal after birth. So I'd play it safe at the very beginning and end, and indulge in moderation for the remainder!

lmr1101
08-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Thank you everyone for the replies. I've always heard 1-2 cups is safe, but it's nice to hear from others who have btdt.
I too work work full time and have a 2.5 year old (who like's to wake me at 4:30am recently) and really just need a sweet treat late in the day.

citymama
08-02-2011, 05:43 PM
I was pretty much caffeine free in my first pgcy, but I definitely indulged in 1-2 cups a day during my 2nd and 3rd pregnancy. As long as you don't have other reasons to avoid caffeine I'd treat yourself to the iced coffee and not feel even a little bit guilty.

Ditto! I would order a small, and not feel guilty about it. :thumbsup:

amldaley
08-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Cold coffee keeps super well for a few days in the fridge. You just need to be sure to remove the filter from pot IMMEDIATLEY after it is brewed to prevent excess oil being pulled from the grounds. Brew a pot of decaf at home, keep it in a glass jar in the fridge at work or in a cold thermos, and pour yourself an iced coffee whenever you want.

brittone2
08-02-2011, 07:24 PM
ETA: I'm actually not a fan of decaf while pregnant either because of the processing used to remove the caffeine. When I do give up caffeine entirely I drink herbal teas or Teacino - a non-caffeinated herbal coffee that I actually like quite a bit.

We usually used swiss water decaf.

amldaley
08-02-2011, 07:36 PM
We usually used swiss water decaf.

:yeahthat:

ALWAYS be sure the package says "Swiss Water Decaf"...this is a chemical free process. For that matter, your coffee should be organic, too. And all organic decaf in the US is Swiss Water Decaf (though, unless things have changed in the last 3 years...the processing is actually done in Canada, even for US roasters).

BayGirl2
08-02-2011, 07:43 PM
:yeahthat:

ALWAYS be sure the package says "Swiss Water Decaf"...this is a chemical free process. For that matter, your coffee should be organic, too. And all organic decaf in the US is Swiss Water Decaf (though, unless things have changed in the last 3 years...the processing is actually done in Canada, even for US roasters).

Good to know. I haven't really looked into it much during this pregnancy, I tend not to like the taste of decaf anyway. Labor Day weekend is my planned detox date, so I may need a combo of Swiss Water Decaf and Teacino to break my habit.

janine
08-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Oh - I've been drinking decaf at work (started a few weeks ago, was coffee free for 1st and 2nd tri) and quite sure it is not organic! Can't win I guess, might have to cut back...

mikala
08-03-2011, 11:01 PM
This is off topic from your original quantity question but I just saw these two recipes on two of my cooking blogs and had to share. I've used a similar cold-brewed recipe for years and crave it every summer. It is concentrated and keeps well in the fridge.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/06/perfect-iced-coffee/
http://annies-eats.net/2011/08/01/diy-iced-coffee/

amldaley
08-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Oh - I've been drinking decaf at work (started a few weeks ago, was coffee free for 1st and 2nd tri) and quite sure it is not organic! Can't win I guess, might have to cut back...

It doesn't have to be organic to be swiss water process, but IF it IS organic, it IS swiss water process ...hope that makes sense :)

janine
08-08-2011, 10:07 AM
So which would everyone say is the lesser of two evils:

Non Swiss water Decaf or a cup of Caffeinated?

I keep it to 1-2 cups a week.

Also has everyone sworn off the artificial sweetners with coffee?

lmr1101
08-08-2011, 12:14 PM
I can't comment on which is the lesser of two evils... before this thread I thought any decaf was pretty good.

I did however switch away from the artificial sweetners. I "bend" the rules on some things, but that one I have really done my best to avoid.

brittone2
08-08-2011, 09:31 PM
So which would everyone say is the lesser of two evils:

Non Swiss water Decaf or a cup of Caffeinated?

I keep it to 1-2 cups a week.

Also has everyone sworn off the artificial sweetners with coffee?

1-2 c a week? I'd just do caffeinated unless you have other reasons (not related to pregnancy) for avoiding it.

I just use organic half and half or heavy cream (I'm a low carb kinda gal), no sweetener. It took me a while to get there but now I can't stand sweetener of any type in my coffee, and I can't deal with flavored coffees.

brittone2
08-08-2011, 09:37 PM
whoops. Double post.

BabyDahl
08-13-2011, 02:27 AM
I'm actually not a fan of decaf while pregnant either because of the processing used to remove the caffeine. When I do give up caffeine entirely I drink herbal teas or Teacino - a non-caffeinated herbal coffee that I actually like quite a bit.

:yeahthat: I am of the belief that a little caffeine is better than all the chemicals to remove it.

sewarsh
08-13-2011, 08:38 AM
i drink a cup of caffeinated everyday which is totally allowed. have my entire pregnancy as well as my 2nd pregnancy. (hence, just like you, i avoided coffee my 1st pregnancy!).

give yourself a break and have the darn iced coffee!! besides, once you finally give in to your craving you may find you dont want another one after all!

i mean, hey, its not like your craving is a vodka over ice! :)