PDA

View Full Version : canker sores and...thyroid and... AI disease

tiapam
08-03-2011, 12:12 AM
I have canker sores on my mind because I have three in my mouth right now, all in a row by my bottom front teeth. I get canker sores from time to time. So this time, I started researching them because they are a little more painful than usual. And there is quite a bit linking canker sores to thyroid or autoimmune disorders. An interesting link:

http://www.lapislight.com/wp/2011/05/06/canker-sores-and-autoimmune-thyroiditis/

I believe this is the article mentioned, though there is only abstract here:

http://www.abstractboard.com/abstract/21435025/Thyroid-autoimmunity-associated-with-recurrent-aphthous-stomatitis.html

I have thyroid disease and also Sjogren's Syndrome. I have also had really dry lips lately and have been feeling super thirsty. That is not always the case in spite of my AI diagnoses, so it is notable.

Anyone else have canker sores and a history of thyroid or AI disease? During the past decade of going to doctors for my health problems, I don't think any of them have ever mentioned canker sores. I will have to add them to my list of possible symptoms of thyroid disease!

KLD313
08-03-2011, 10:05 AM
I get canker sores every time I bite my lip or cheek. I also have Graves Disease, interesting. I've gotten them all my life but was only diagnosed with grave a couple of years ago.

On another note, my endo let my ft4 tank and my TSH rise to over 20 in a matter of 6 wks. I'm not happy.

dylansnan
08-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Interesting, I had canker sores a lot as a child. Was diagnosed with Graves about 10 years ago. Not so many sores as an adult, only when I bight my cheek or lip.

Hmm....

-Cindy

babyonway
08-03-2011, 12:10 PM
no BTDT for me but my mom gets horrible canker sores all the time. She has Thyroid Desease and Sjogren's Syndrome as well and she never put all that together. She has talked to a dentist an ENT, a dermatologist, her PCP and no one has been able to help her. It really awful for her (the canker sores) does anyone know of a preventative measure so she doesn't get these sores?

tiapam
08-03-2011, 04:03 PM
no BTDT for me but my mom gets horrible canker sores all the time. She has Thyroid Desease and Sjogren's Syndrome as well and she never put all that together. She has talked to a dentist an ENT, a dermatologist, her PCP and no one has been able to help her. It really awful for her (the canker sores) does anyone know of a preventative measure so she doesn't get these sores?

Does she have dry mouth? If so, some of that is prob from the Sjogren's but some of it may also be from the thyroid. I think if she is getting lots of them, her thyroid may be undertreated. Based on how I feel right now, I think I am hypo. So when her canker sores are bad, she may be hypo. Does she suffer from other hypo symptoms? If so, she is undertreated. If her doc won't treat symptoms and only pays attention to test results, I would keep searching for one who will.

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

is a great place for you to start. FYI, when you have a thyroid problem, it is really hard to get yourself back to "normal". IMO it helps immensely to have someone help you. If you can be that person for your mom, that would be great.

babyonway
08-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Does she have dry mouth? If so, some of that is prob from the Sjogren's but some of it may also be from the thyroid. I think if she is getting lots of them, her thyroid may be undertreated. Based on how I feel right now, I think I am hypo. So when her canker sores are bad, she may be hypo. Does she suffer from other hypo symptoms? If so, she is undertreated. If her doc won't treat symptoms and only pays attention to test results, I would keep searching for one who will.

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

is a great place for you to start. FYI, when you have a thyroid problem, it is really hard to get yourself back to "normal". IMO it helps immensely to have someone help you. If you can be that person for your mom, that would be great.

She does have dry mouth from the Sjogrens, she drinks a ton of water and uses artificial saliva when she can. She is hypo. She has a new dr. and has been reducing her synthroid I think based only on test results and "coincidently" :wink2: now her canker sores started when she started taking less synthroid. Is it bad though to have too much synthroid? I am going to talk to her about this tonight because this is huge issue for her. Thank you for the links I really appreciate it.

Tondi G
08-03-2011, 08:02 PM
something natural that might help with canker sores is taking a Lysine supplement.

tiapam
08-04-2011, 12:20 AM
She does have dry mouth from the Sjogrens, she drinks a ton of water and uses artificial saliva when she can. She is hypo. She has a new dr. and has been reducing her synthroid I think based only on test results and "coincidently" :wink2: now her canker sores started when she started taking less synthroid. Is it bad though to have too much synthroid? I am going to talk to her about this tonight because this is huge issue for her. Thank you for the links I really appreciate it.

It can be bad to have too much Synthroid. It can make you hyperthyroid. IME a little hyper is better than a little hypo, but too much either way is brutal. Stop the Thyroid Madness is a great place to start. It has good suggestions to bring to your doctor. I wonder if your mom could benefit from one of the natural thyroid RX drugs. I tried one a while back and felt great for a short time. Now I am on Tirosint which is the only gel cap version of levothyroxine (generic for Synthroid) and liothyronine (generic for Cytomel). I am going to switch back to the natural. I want that feeling back and even though it only worked for a short time, it was the only thing that worked ever, so I am going to work on tweaking it.

Mary Shomon's about. com website is another great resource, as are her books. A lot of other books just give the party line info on thyroid disease, so be aware. A lot of people go undiagnosed or undertreated, I personally do not trust most doctors are good at detection and treatment.

FYI, because of your mom's issues, you are at risk for thyroid and AI disease. You need to be informed about them for your own sake, especially since you have started having children. AI and thyroid diseases are often triggered by physical, mental or emotional (or any combo) stress. Self care is important for you and your mom.

kamping
09-26-2011, 12:14 PM
I have thyroid disorder. Was diagnosed with Graves and now am hypo! Not treating it for now, but am plagued by canker sores...have had one (or more) for a month now. Has anyone found something that will help? What supplements seem to work for you?

jerigirl
09-26-2011, 12:52 PM
something natural that might help with canker sores is taking a Lysine supplement.

:yeahthat: I used to get canker sores often in college (stress???) and Lysine really helped.

California
09-26-2011, 04:37 PM
My DH used to get canker sores a lot. He doesn't have dry mouth or thyroid issues. We discovered that eating lots of green veggies makes the canker sores heal faster, and prevents future ones from starting. This is such an easy, healthy thing to try it would be worth it to give it a shot.

KpbS
09-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Not a preventative but I've found when I get them, if I am extra vigilant about flossing--esp. soon after one begins--they go away much faster.

Also, the last time I had one I used a chloroseptic (sore throat spray) and this helped with the pain and I think sped up the healing too.

Hugs to you.