PDA

View Full Version : Do you like Lands End swimsuits?

arivecchi
08-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Poll coming. :)

Feel free to tell us why you do or don't though!

Dcclerk
08-03-2011, 11:01 AM
I just voted "no" to Land's End because to my eyes (definitely California girl here) they look more "mom-ish" than I want to sport. I can picture my own mom wearing most of the suits, and that isn't what I want for myself.

That said, I got some really cute bathing suits (mostly bikinis) from Land's End Canvas, and I get compliments on them all the time. They are classic and well-made, and even my bathing suit snob friends give them a thumbs up :)

wendibird22
08-03-2011, 11:09 AM
I voted yes because as a petite gal with DD boobs, there aren't a lot of options for coverage and support. I have 2 tankinis from them that I think fit great and look great and I get compliments from my other mid-30's mom friends.

wellyes
08-03-2011, 11:29 AM
They have good support and coverage and GREAT prices on overstocks. And you don't have to try them on in a store! Buy online, returns to Sears.

But I don't love the look and I think they feel heavy. Definitely not my favorite.

jse107
08-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Yes to this. I need a supportive top! I would wear more trendy styles if I had a more trendy body. I just don't. The string bikini isn't going to look good on me to anyone but DH!

arivecchi
08-03-2011, 11:35 AM
They definitely seem to have the "mom" market cornered, which is partly why I refuse to wear them! But I don't have big boobs to contend with. :)

I have tried them out and they felt heavy and huge to me. DH's said he!! no when I modeled a couple of LE suits.

I do like the looks of the LE Canvas suits. Maybe I will give those a try.

TwinFoxes
08-03-2011, 12:00 PM
It's sooo hard finding suits for bigger boobs. :( I know they aren't the cutest, and pre-kids (read: nursing. Twins.) I would not have considered them. I did buy Athleta bottoms, but there are zero Athleta tops that would fit me.

lizzywednesday
08-03-2011, 12:21 PM
I like them because there are a lot of different combinations and they are well-made. Also, they cover my a$$ well.

I do not like the Beach Living ones as well as the AquaTerra line, but I lean towards "sporty" and functional in my swimsuit choices. Even at my slimmest, my body just doesn't work with anything skimpy (i.e. - string bikini) or fashion-forward.

elizabethkott
08-03-2011, 12:27 PM
I love 'em.
But then, I totally need something to cover up my big 'ole thighs. ;)

Globetrotter
08-03-2011, 12:45 PM
yes, they are made to flatter! If I had a perfect body, I would go for Athleta or something else, but LE works well to disguise some of my flaws.

Beth24
08-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Another fan here... I've never found any other suits that give me the boob support I need!

elektra
08-03-2011, 01:04 PM
I am a no. I have decided I just feel much more comfortable in skimpier bikinis. Sounds crazy I know!
I tried a LE suit. I wanted to give it a shot even though I thought it was "mommish". I really could not pull it off without looking like a 60-year old.
I was 6 weeks post partum on a two-week trip to Hawaii and I thought I needed the support for both tummy and boobs. But it was so restricting and I felt and looked so old. It was really well made though, and when I turn 60 I will check them out again possibly.
I ended up wearing my Athleta bikini on that trip even though I was hanging out all over the place.
It's true though that options are limited for larger breasted women, and places like LE with the bra-type sizing is one of the few choices out there. Luckily for me I am only in the ginormous boob category when pregnant/nursing.

weech
08-03-2011, 01:07 PM
I like their swim minis, but otherwise, I've never found a top there I liked. I was surprised to see how many PPs said they like LE because of the support. I've never found a top that I can fit my boobs in :bag I also think they're a bit too "old" for me (I'm 27).

cvanbrunt
08-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Nope. Too matronly.

TwinFoxes
08-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Let me show you what I'm working with. Everything But Water is a pretty good place for suits, big selection. Here's one of their DD bikinis:

http://c4.everythingbutwater.com/images/products/19444_m.jpg

Sigh. That's worse than LE I think. They did have one bikini that's cute in DD, but I can tell by looking at it there's no way it would support me.

WatchingThemGrow
08-03-2011, 01:44 PM
I have historically been a huge fan of Anne Cole swimsuits. For the past 2 years, I've gotten LE halters plus mini swim mini (shorter one) so that's the only style I've kept.

the halter/swim mini has been FABULOUS for the not-quite swimming, but in/out of the water with toddlers, at water parks, backyard water days, etc. It covers the rear jigglies out of the water, but if I'm really, really swimming, I can't stand it.

hellokitty
08-03-2011, 02:01 PM
The only LE swimwear I own so far is their rashguard (love it!). I haven't tried their swimwear yet, but I agree with the others. For those of us who have big boobs, nice stuff like athleta is pretty much out of the question. Also, I think the appeal of LE is that things are separate. For example, whenever I have tried a one piece, the top fits, but the bottom part is saggy, b/c I am disproportioned. So, I can see why LE is popular for the mom crowd. Plus, I also feel that the ability to return to a B&M sears store makes it attractive too.

PunkyBoo
08-03-2011, 02:06 PM
It's sooo hard finding suits for bigger boobs. :( I know they aren't the cutest, and pre-kids (read: nursing. Twins.) I would not have considered them.

:yeahthat: except I don't have twins. Other than LE, I have not been able to find suits at reasonable cost that will fit my boobs (DD-E/F depending on the fit, but only 32 band size). And I'm not really happy with the way my belly looks these days, but I'm long-waisted. The LE tankini tops fit me very well. So while I agree that the LE suits look "mom-ish", I have to face the fact that I AM an almost 40-year-old mom with 2 gorgeous boys so I don't expect myself to have the body I had in my 20's. I always tell myself, I may not be the hottest woman at the beach/ pool, but I'm far from the least hot, too. So I wear my LE "mom-suit" with confidence. :D

pinkmomagain
08-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Are they mom-ish? yes. Am I a mom? yes. I do love them in the sense that I have not been able to find any other suitable suits!

I have a LE swim dress that I believe is discontinued. Bought about 5 of 'em while they were on clearance a few years ago. I do get compliments on them. While I am not overweight, I definitely need a skirt bottom for my sagging behind. And while I am a D cup, the girls are pretty deflated and so I need a molded cup to give 'em shape.

The way I look at it, I am doing the public a favor by wearing my LE swim dress and covering up. And I'm not having to pull and tuck to make sure the suit is where it's supposed to be.

BabyBearsMom
08-03-2011, 02:17 PM
I am a yes. I have two from Lands End. One is a tankini with a skirted bottom and one is a one piece with a skirted bottom. The tankini sometimes rides up which is annoying, but I like the boob support in both suits. I also like the skirted bottoms because they cover up some of my less lovely areas (When my mom had her first ultrasound with me, the tech said "Wow! She has some big thighs"...nothing has changed since the womb). I know they aren't the most youthful looking bathing suits on the market, but frankly I do not have the body of a tweenager these days either. I also like that there is enough coverage on my top so that I don't feel too sexy for the baby pool. Also, I think they are flattering and they hold up very well to chlorine.

scriptkitten
08-03-2011, 02:18 PM
No. I don't like to wear anything "marketed at moms". I'd be more likely to buy something from Delias :) Plus, I have a flat chest so none of their stuff would work for me.

arivecchi
08-03-2011, 02:21 PM
I cannot believe there are not many options for larger breasted women! What a bummer.

pastrygirl
08-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Love them! Especially the $1 pieces I can get at the local Sears outlet. Seriously, you can't beat that! I don't have a great body, so I don't really care how I look in them. NO bathing suit will make me look good at the beach. :o

Kindra178
08-03-2011, 04:29 PM
I have a bunch from both LE and LE Canvas. They all show waaaay to much cleave. I prefer Athleta.

drako
08-03-2011, 04:59 PM
I like them since you can mix and match tops and bottoms. I like their tankinis and never even thought of them being mommish. I kind of think they are sporty looking. I have regular bikini bottom with a halter tankini top. I feel they are appropriate for my age. I am not 20 anymore and I don't think I should dress like one (but that is me). There is nothing worse than going to the beach and seeing someone in a bikini who is too old for it or doesn't have a bikini body! I could pull of a bikini but don't feel comfortable when I am running around with my kid and playing in the sand...I guess call me a mom!

arivecchi
08-03-2011, 05:14 PM
I guess I do not understand why being over 30 or 40 equals LE suit? There are so many cute suits out there. :)

http://a1.zassets.com/images/z/1/3/9/1394147-p-LARGE_SEARCH.jpghttp://a1.zassets.com/images/z/1/4/8/1487132-p-LARGE_SEARCH.jpghttp://www.zappos.com/images/z/1/5/1/1519528-p-LARGE_SEARCH.jpghttp://www.zappos.com/images/z/1/2/5/1251303-p-LARGE_SEARCH.jpg

arivecchi
08-03-2011, 05:15 PM
http://www.zappos.com/images/z/1/5/1/1519307-p-LARGE_SEARCH.jpghttp://www.zappos.com/images/z/1/5/2/1521101-p-LARGE_SEARCH.jpghttp://www.zappos.com/images/z/1/3/9/1395506-p-LARGE_SEARCH.jpghttp://www.zappos.com/images/z/1/3/9/1395399-p-LARGE_SEARCH.jpghttp://www.zappos.com/images/z/1/3/5/1350077-p-LARGE_SEARCH.jpghttp://www.zappos.com/images/z/1/3/8/1383502-p-LARGE_SEARCH.jpg

drako
08-03-2011, 05:25 PM
So funny how people's tastes differ. To me all the ones with the ruffles are mommish!! Funny how we interpret what is mommish! I can totally see my mom wearing those ruffle suits.

I did get several suits from Victoria's Secret this year. It was nice that you can mix and match tops and bottoms but the quality is definitely cheaper than LE and they probably cost a bit more. I also like the bra support in the VS suits. I am small chested and it pulled the girls together to give me cleavage which I never have!

TwinFoxes
08-03-2011, 05:25 PM
A, I think you're underestimating how much larger on top the more endowed among us are. I've tried on so many suits that fit great until you get to the chest, and then either they're just way too tight, or I'm popping out. I need a bigger size on top than bottom. And support. Even pre kids I never had the same selection as Cs and smaller, but now it's just pathetic. :(

ETA: VS bras/bikinis are totally mis-labeled. Their DDs are really Cs I swear!

egoldber
08-03-2011, 05:31 PM
So funny how people's tastes differ. To me all the ones with the ruffles are mommish!! Funny how we interpret what is mommish! I can totally see my mom wearing those ruffle suits.

I agree. I think many LE suits are cuter than some of those. :o I personally prefer a REI/sporty/outdoorsy look. And the ones without straps would just fall right off my D cups.

I am actually in Miami right now for a conference and have had the opportunity to see a lot of swim wear this week. :rotflmao: And I have to say that it just takes all kinds and perhaps I should wear a bikini based on some of the things I have observed here!

SnuggleBuggles
08-03-2011, 05:46 PM
I have no problem with them being mom suits. I am a mom, not a teenager. I have B-Cs so skimpy doesn't work for me. I think that the halter tankinis are cute and cover well. Some styles are not my style and a bit too frumpy. And I do like the LE Canvas ones even more.

They hold up really well too. Plus, when you buy them in July you can snag them for amazing prices!!!

eta- I like Athleta better too.

And A, I agree that moms don't need to rock a mom suit but I also don't feel like what I have is bad at all (I can't insert the image on dh's stupid mac :))
http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/StripeTankiniTop~210440_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BQ6&CM_MERCH=IDX_Sale-_-Women-_-Swim&origin=index

Beth

Green_Tea
08-03-2011, 05:46 PM
I want to like LE suits, but when I put them on I can feel my hair turn grey and my shoes turn sensible.

In all seriousness, I see several LE suits each year that I think look really cute in the catalog, but when I try them on I look like a frump. I think that all of their suits that are designed to be slimming look like they are designed to be slimming, and not in a good way. So, not a fan. But I could see feeling differently if I had a large chest.

This year my suits are from Athleta. :heartbeat: Athleta!

ETA - I think the LE Canvas suits are really cute!

hillview
08-03-2011, 05:50 PM
I like them for chasing the kids around the local pool. I don't think they are great for looking sexy or hanging out on the miami beach scene. However they get the job done and look good on me. Next year I will be getting a rocking suit to go with my new body :)

crl
08-03-2011, 05:51 PM
I agree. I think many LE suits are cuter than some of those. :o I personally prefer a REI/sporty/outdoorsy look.

e!

Me too. I am actually quite flat on top and the one time I tried LE I couldn't get a good fit on top. I have a few LE Canvas pieces I like and some from Athleta as well. But in generally I prefer a much plainer suit and LE is fine style wise.

Catherine

mommylamb
08-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Well count me in the large breast category, so I have some LE suits. I like them enough. But, I think there are some nice options at Eddie Bauer too for larger breasted women. If I weren't pregnant, I think I would get this one: http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=34219&&categoryId=21211&categoryName=D-CUP-DD-CUP-SWIMWEAR&pCategoryId=101&pCategoryName=SWIMWEAR&gpCategoryId=3&gpCategoryName=WOMEN&ggpCategoryId=1&ggpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=21211~~categoryName=D-CUP-DD-CUP-SWIMWEAR~~pCategoryId=101~~pCategoryName=SWIMWEAR~ ~gpCategoryId=3~~gpCategoryName=WOMEN~~ggpCategory Id=1~~ggpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=null&pg=1

weech
08-03-2011, 08:14 PM
A, I think you're underestimating how much larger on top the more endowed among us are. I've tried on so many suits that fit great until you get to the chest, and then either they're just way too tight, or I'm popping out. I need a bigger size on top than bottom. And support. Even pre kids I never had the same selection as Cs and smaller, but now it's just pathetic. :(

:yeahthat: I hear you!

weech
08-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Well count me in the large breast category, so I have some LE suits. I like them enough. But, I think there are some nice options at Eddie Bauer too for larger breasted women. If I weren't pregnant, I think I would get this one: http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=34219&&categoryId=21211&categoryName=D-CUP-DD-CUP-SWIMWEAR&pCategoryId=101&pCategoryName=SWIMWEAR&gpCategoryId=3&gpCategoryName=WOMEN&ggpCategoryId=1&ggpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=21211~~categoryName=D-CUP-DD-CUP-SWIMWEAR~~pCategoryId=101~~pCategoryName=SWIMWEAR~ ~gpCategoryId=3~~gpCategoryName=WOMEN~~ggpCategory Id=1~~ggpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=null&pg=1

I swear by Miraclesuits. love them!

Globetrotter
08-03-2011, 08:15 PM
I have an LE swimsuit that is VERY sexy! It's a one piece, though, so I tend to stick to my sensible tankinis most of the time :)

bubbaray
08-03-2011, 08:28 PM
I guess I do not understand why being over 30 or 40 equals LE suit? There are so many cute suits out there. :)

But, *I* don't think any of those suits are cute. Seriously, they are just NMS at.all. Never in a million years would I wear any of them. Not cute at all in my book.

I get that you don't like LE suits, hey whatever. But it just kinda rubs me the wrong way that you say "here, these are cute, you're chosen suits aren't". You have your style, I have mine. I can't stand 1 piece suits (except for laps and then only Speedo Super Pro), 1 shoulder swimsuits, nor ruffles. *I* think they look stupid on someone my age. JMHO. The suits that you linked to that have the center V strap (bandeau with a strap) do NOT work whatsoever with larger (unenhanced) chests. They look ridiculous -- boobs flopping in all the wrong places.

When I'm in better shape, I prefer bikinis but would never in a million years wear a LE canvas bikini (I prefer the Venus ones, they work a LOT better for larger chests).

I *like* my LE tankini with mini swim mini or bikini bottom. I don't really care if it meets fashionista criteria or not.

FWIW, I rocked a Venus suit similar to this (http://www.venus.com/viewproduct.aspx?BRANCH=24~86~&ProductDisplayID=9920&dept=Shop+by+Style-Enhancer+Tops&prod=triangle+enhancer+top%2c+slide+low+rise+botto m)2 yrs ago (but don't dare go out in public wearing it now). I have 3 of this yr's LE tanks:

blue & black print: http://www.landsend.com/pp/BeachLivingFloralScoopTankiniSwimsuitTop~221531_59 .html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::LW6&CM_MERCH=IDX_Women-_-Swimsuits&origin=index

Blue paisley. http://www.landsend.com/pp/BeachLivingPaisleyPrintTankiniSwimsuitTop~216185_5 9.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::JN3&CM_MERCH=IDX_Women-_-Swimsuits&origin=index

different pattern: http://www.landsend.com/pp/BeachLivingFloralBandeauTunicSwimsuitTop~221530_59 .html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::LW6&CM_MERCH=IDX_Women-_-Swimsuits&origin=index

I dunno, I just think where this thread went led to a really unhappy place for those of us who actually *like* LE suits.

SnuggleBuggles
08-03-2011, 08:33 PM
But, *I* don't think any of those suits are cute. Seriously, they are just NMS at.all. Never in a million years would I wear any of them. Not cute at all in my book.

I get that you don't like LE suits, hey whatever. But it just kinda rubs me the wrong way that you say "here, these are cute, you're chosen suits aren't". You have your style, I have mine. I can't stand 1 piece suits (except for laps and then only Speedo Super Pro), 1 shoulder swimsuits, nor ruffles. *I* think they look stupid on someone my age. JMHO. The suits that you linked to that have the center V strap (bandeau with a strap) do NOT work whatsoever with larger (unenhanced) chests. They look ridiculous -- boobs flopping in all the wrong places.

I dunno, I just think where this thread went led to a really unhappy place for those of us who actually *like* LE suits.

Thanks, Melissa for sharing my thoughts as well. I like my LE suits and they fit my lifestyle. 99% of the time that I am wearing a bathing suit I am sitting beside the baby pool with other moms. I feel no need to impress anyone and I feel comfy and happy in my LE suits. I have a good number of LE and 2 Canvas mix and match tankinis. I'd love to pull off a bikini and aim for that by next year though. That will be Athleta. :)

Beth

ZeeBaby
08-03-2011, 09:04 PM
I have been extremely happy with my LE suits I brought overstock. After two babies I am now a DDD! I need something that will accommodate the girls and fits! That is pretty difficult to find. Most designers assume DDD means larger all around. I am an 8 tough to find suits that work.

I was also not a fan of the sample suits. Ruffles aren't my style and a halter suit won't give enough support.

fivi2
08-03-2011, 09:38 PM
I put no, but not for the reasons others have mentioned...

I think that many of them are cute. I bought a tankini and swim mini there a few years back that I really liked. But every year since, it seems that the quality and fit have gone WAY down. I have ordered probably 3 per year the past 4 years and returned every.single.one. I even tried to replace the exact same style as the one I liked, but it was just weird.

I am very busty. Even when I see things other people post that they think will work for busty women, I just laugh. I am a 34 F/G - most of these "good for busty gals" wouldn't cover half of me!

This summer I have started wearing a smooth cup bra under tank style tankinis (purchased at random places) with plain bottoms (swim mini or swim shorts). It may look "mom-ish" but it is way more flattering than walking around with no support.

I don't know - I think they are cute, but the quality isn't there. And they really aren't enough for this busty gal!

scriptkitten
08-03-2011, 09:57 PM
what is this nonsense with all of your boobs GROWING after kids?

i went from a 32A before babies.... to a 34C while nursing, and then back to a 32AA.

ugh.

anyway... i ordered this off shopbop today with their code. i needed a "mommy" suit for doing crazy stuff at the family pond, but i thought the low cut and the way the top looks like a bikini from the back gave it some cuteness.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/Shopbop/p/pcs/products/lcurr/lcurr4000410654/lcurr4000410654_p1_1-0_347x683.jpg

mackmama
08-03-2011, 09:59 PM
I just voted "no" to Land's End because to my eyes (definitely California girl here) they look more "mom-ish" than I want to sport. I can picture my own mom wearing most of the suits, and that isn't what I want for myself.

:yeahthat: The suits always look a little frumpy to me in the catalogs, although I've never tried one on IRL.

Beth24
08-03-2011, 10:23 PM

i went from a 32A before babies.... to a 34C while nursing, and then back to a 32AA.

ugh.

anyway... i ordered this off shopbop today with their code. i needed a "mommy" suit for doing crazy stuff at the family pond, but i thought the low cut and the way the top looks like a bikini from the back gave it some cuteness.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/Shopbop/p/pcs/products/lcurr/lcurr4000410654/lcurr4000410654_p1_1-0_347x683.jpg

Very cute suit, and not mommyish at all. And my post breastfeeding boob size theory is that if you start off small you end up smaller when you stop breastfeeding. If you're larger to begin with you end up larger...not fair at all!

arivecchi
08-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Oh my gosh, really? I did not mean to offend anyone. It was just a silly thread about swimsuits.

jgenie
08-03-2011, 10:41 PM
And A, I agree that moms don't need to rock a mom suit but I also don't feel like what I have is bad at all (I can't insert the image on dh's stupid mac :))
http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/StripeTankiniTop~210440_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BQ6&CM_MERCH=IDX_Sale-_-Women-_-Swim&origin=index

Beth

I have this same top and I bought it for a steal too!!

Kindra178
08-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Oh my gosh, really? I did not mean to offend anyone. It was just a silly thread about swimsuits.

I totally understand where you were coming from. LE suits fit some people way better than others. The price of their suits is usually pretty good too.

Title Nine suits are also flattering and very swimmable/chase kids around in.

arivecchi
08-03-2011, 10:46 PM

When I'm in better shape, I prefer bikinis but would never in a million years wear a LE canvas bikini (I prefer the Venus ones, they work a LOT better for larger chests).

I *like* my LE tankini with mini swim mini or bikini bottom. I don't really care if it meets fashionista criteria or not.

I dunno, I just think where this thread went led to a really unhappy place for those of us who actually *like* LE suits.I'm glad you like your LE suits! Why do you care that others here don't like them? I am not offended that you don't like the suits I linked. Forgive me if I hurt your feelings but I just think this has been totally blown out of proportion.

mackmama
08-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Title Nine suits are also flattering and very swimmable/chase kids around in.

I have tried on a couple of Title Nine suits that I liked, although they didn't have quite enough support up top for me. The suits were sporty and cute, similar to Athleta suits imo.

arivecchi
08-03-2011, 10:47 PM
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/Shopbop/p/pcs/products/lcurr/lcurr4000410654/lcurr4000410654_p1_1-0_347x683.jpgNow this is STUNNING. Love it! :thumbsup:

mackmama
08-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Inspired by scriptkitten's adorable new suit, I now want this from shopbop:
http://www.shopbop.com/beaded-melli-coverup-diane-von/vp/v=1/845524441905925.htm?folderID=2534374302024726&fm=other-shopbysize-viewall&colorId=36442
although part of me is wondering if it is mumu-esque, a la Mrs Roper?

This one might be better, although I can't tell how it looks in the back. http://www.shopbop.com/priam-coverup-diane-von-furstenberg/vp/v=1/845524441905706.htm?folderID=2534374302024726&fm=other-shopbysize-viewall&colorId=35909

(Sorry don't mean to hijack)

SnuggleBuggles
08-03-2011, 10:56 PM
I always forget about Title Nine. Cute bathing suits there too!

Beth

arivecchi
08-03-2011, 11:11 PM
http://www.shopbop.com/beaded-melli-coverup-diane-von/vp/v=1/845524441905925.htm?folderID=2534374302024726&fm=other-shopbysize-viewall&colorId=36442

This one might be better, although I can't tell how it looks in the back. http://www.shopbop.com/priam-coverup-diane-von-furstenberg/vp/v=1/845524441905706.htm?folderID=2534374302024726&fm=other-shopbysize-viewall&colorId=35909

(Sorry don't mean to hijack)They are both great! I actually really love the first one. I think those styles work best on tall women. What is their return policy? I'd be tempted to order both and then pick.

Melbel
08-03-2011, 11:20 PM
I have a couple LE suits that aren't my favorites but get the job done while chasing the kids around the beach or pool. I prefer the swim shorts for extra coverage. As a full C, I also really need good support (definitely no strapless numbers). I do not like the mom look, but it is my reality for now. My other suits are from Victoria's Secret or Calvin Klein.

citymama
08-04-2011, 01:36 AM

:yeahthat: My MIL and my older DD wear Lands End suits. They are really terrific quality and I love that they flatter my MIL's nearly 70 year old physique, and they are so comfy and durable on my 5 year old. My sister is built differently than me and she rocks her LE suit. I think there should be a swimsuit designed for every body type and style and I love that LE has done that.

But for me? He$$ no. When I last checked, they didn't even have swimsuits in my size (they seem to have added a small selection of suits in small sizes this year). My favorite suit at the moment is Athleta.

ETA: Do folks remember that long story in the NYT from a few years ago about LE swimsuits? They really were a breakthrough brand in that regard, catering to all women and not just swimsuit models. I'll try and dig it up and post a link.
Maybe this one; it was a 2 page color spread: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/18/fashion/thursdaystyles/18LANDS.html

MontrealMum
08-04-2011, 01:44 AM

:yeahthat:

Do I like LE suits and think they're cute? No. Do I wear them? Yes. Thanks to pregnancy and nursing I am also much larger than I used to be :( When I was smaller on top I wore a lot of JCrew suits and Nike athletic bikinis, although I was pushing the high end of their range in terms of cup size. I also had a few cuter/racier suits from VS, and a bunch of Tyr, Speedo, and Nike for lapswimming. My selection was limited by my taste, not my size. But now that I'm bigger on top but still need to be wearing suits to beat the heat, chase after DS, and do my swim workouts? I need LE.

I do find them oddly thick - but as someone that swims laps, this is a good thing, they'll probably wear longer in the chlorine :) The worst thing in the world is when you go to yank the butt of your suit down and find that all of a sudden it's the consistency of tissue paper. And you're mid-workout. :D

My biggest complaint about LE is that I do not get why the hips are always cut so darned low. If they just raised the hip opening they would go from a mom-look on the majority of their suits, to a classic tank look. They could still provide support and coverage on the top and back area, but offering a higher cut leg would seriously update their look.

citymama
08-04-2011, 01:56 AM

VAnd my post breastfeeding boob size theory is that if you start off small you end up smaller when you stop breastfeeding. If you're larger to begin with you end up larger...not fair at all!

:yeahthat: This is me as well! I'm still nursing, but I will be saying hello to the AA cup in a few months, I suspect. And this is why LE will never work for me. ;)

liz
08-04-2011, 07:23 AM
I don't get it. Why does wearing LE give me a "mom" look? Because I don't wear a bikini or a suit with ruffles? I wear bikini bottoms and tops from LE because they fit me really well. I guess the insinuation is that wearing LE makes you frumpy and not fashion forward. I may not always be in the front lines of fashion, but I like to think I look good in my bathing suit :loveeyes:, wherever the suit came from.

And OP, I know this is not what you were saying with your poll, it's just some of the comments are leaning toward being embarrased about wearing LE. seriously?

scriptkitten
08-04-2011, 07:24 AM

(Sorry don't mean to hijack)

These are both divine! I love the first one soooooooo much. I will stalk it til it's on sale!

Shopbop has free shipping and free returns within 14 days. I think you have 30 days to return if you pay your own return shipping. Their CS is amazing. They work to make you happy. I even got a refund for jeans months after purchase because when I washed them the color totally changed after 1 wash.

arivecchi
08-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Liz, I think fashion is so subjective. What some people love, others would not be caught dead in, kwim? Perfectly illustrated here. I just don't get why people get offended by that.

As I suspected, most posters here love LE suits. I had never heard of them before I started posting on these boards because I grew up in skimpy bikini land......

Btw, I have a thread about Minnetonka boots as well. Most posters said they are a definite nay for them. Yet I ordered them. :D. Different strokes for different folks.....

SnuggleBuggles
08-04-2011, 08:50 AM
I guess I am offended (only very mildly because really, we are talking about LE bathing suits nothing really major!! ;)) because it's my style. My style is being jocked as stereotypical mom wear, like I'm about to pair it with some high waisted mom jeans with a tucked in baggy shirt and a fanny pack. Of course, i swear I read a while back that high waisted might be the next trend. Melissa posted links to a suit I have and really just don't know what about it is that bad. You are right, style is subjective,. Enough of us LE wearers have commented that we feel like the tone of the nays are a bit of a put down so I don't think we are imagining it. We could be though I guess!! eta- now I probably just offended the fanny pack wearers of the group!!

eta- I guess my point is no one wants to feel unfashionable and frumpy. Saying that g'mas wear the suits is just saying to all of us in our 30s that we are throwing in the style towel.

Beth

scriptkitten
08-04-2011, 09:14 AM
I have to go find the Minnetonka boot thread :) I have two pairs of boots (ankle and mid calf) and two pairs of moccs. I love them ;)

The diversity on this board is great. I love hearing everyone's point of view.

liz
08-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Liz, I think fashion is so subjective. What some people love, others would not be caught dead in, kwim? Perfectly illustrated here. I just don't get why people get offended by that.

arivecchi, I totally get your (fashion) point of view. If I saw someone wearing the bathing suits you had posted earlier, I would totally think "what a pretty bathing suit!" and honestly mean it. But I wouldn't wear them because they are not my style. The world would be a boring place if we all dressed the same!

I think this thread has been interesting. I think some people (and me included) are a bit offended because in this thread some people have insinuated that:
LE="Mom" (I thought this was a good thing??)= Frumpy/Old

and no one wants to be thought of as a frumpy old mom.

I like to see threads about clothes that you folks are excited about. Boden? Never heard of them until this board. Hanna? same thing. I may not like everything, but I can appreciate the diversity.

And there, no hard feelings, :kisscheek: to you all!

arivecchi
08-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Beth and Liz, I hear you. Maybe some of us got a little carried away with the criticism. :bag

As payback, I give you free reign to laugh your rear end off if you see me walking around with the minnetonka boots!

LMPC
08-04-2011, 11:08 AM
I love their tankinis but I find the sizing odd. I'm a s in the tops....only there and no where else! Typically I wear an M.

The quality seems good and the colors are more my speed.

newg
08-04-2011, 03:48 PM
I have to say one of the big selling points for me with LE (in general) is the great deals along with their lifetime guarantee and that I can just return items to Sears (or DH can while working).
I like their suits. I love that I can get a top and bottom for $30 and it has a lifetime guarantee and I don't have to drag my kids around shopping all day to try suits on!!

*myfoursons
08-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I think they have a pretty wide range of suits, my latest one is (to me) a total classic:
http://http://www.landsend.com/pp/CarmelSolidVneckBikiniTop~222169_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_Swimwear-_-Women-_-ShopbySilhouette-_-TopsTankinis&origin=index (http://www.landsend.com/pp/CarmelSolidVneckBikiniTop~222169_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_Swimwear-_-Women-_-ShopbySilhouette-_-TopsTankinis&origin=index)

I bought a few Canvas ones too this year, and like them as well. I don't have the well-endowed problem, though :)

SoloMelody
08-04-2011, 04:58 PM

Love this style, I have been looking for this style for larger busts 32H. I think it is my ideal suit but needs wider straps and wider tie on the back to help with support and lift and more room for the chest....covers up my mummy tummy...hmmm

niccig
08-04-2011, 05:02 PM
arivecchi, I totally get your (fashion) point of view. If I saw someone wearing the bathing suits you had posted earlier, I would totally think "what a pretty bathing suit!" and honestly mean it. But I wouldn't wear them because they are not my style. The world would be a boring place if we all dressed the same!

I don't wear the suits arivecchi listed, and not because it's not my style. I do not have the body to wear those suits. You do not want to see all of me that will hang out of those suits.

And maybe that is what some of us are reacting to when you say LE are ugly and frumpy. Not all of us are skinny, toned and can rock a swimsuit like what you posted.

LE fits me for now, next year I hope to look better in a swim suit. But I may not.

And I wouldn't say like a pp did that's it's something silly like swimsuits. Shopping for a swimsuit is an awful experience if you carry any extra weight. I can buy clothes that cover up my fat dimply thighs and accentuate my waist and boobs. It's much more difficult with a swimsuit, and it's why I wear swim shorts.

AnnieW625
08-04-2011, 05:17 PM
I have one (a tankini with the ruched bottoms) that I bought three years ago and 10 to 15lbs lighter than I am now and I hated wearing it then. I didn't wear it at all last year, and maybe once the year before and I thought it was okay, but definitely a back up. I pulled it out of the storage bin this year and suprisingly I like it better now, and it wasn't big or anything this year. My plan is to get a new suit next year, however I won't even consider LE unless suits unless the suit bottoms are high cut. I look horrible in their grandma cut swim suits.

:yeahthat: This is me as well! I'm still nursing, but I will be saying hello to the AA cup in a few months, I suspect. And this is why LE will never work for me. ;)
:yeahthat: this is me too cup size. I was 34B on a good day prior to DD1 and then a 38C bfing DD1, a 38B the entire time I was pregnant with DD2, and now on a good day if I am lucky I am 38B and that's only because I can't find any 38A bras to save my life. The Speedo suit I bought last year, and has high cut legs and is great for the pool is actually too big on top, and to make matters worse I hate shelf bras! I honestly can't wait until I look decent in a triangle bikini top so for those reasons LE is probably not the best fit for me either. Plus I have big thighs and the grandma cut legs make me look way wider than high cut bottoms.

Melanie
08-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Very cute suit, and not mommyish at all. And my post breastfeeding boob size theory is that if you start off small you end up smaller when you stop breastfeeding. If you're larger to begin with you end up larger...not fair at all!

ITA. I was SO counting on small breasts after BFing.

newg
08-04-2011, 09:39 PM
My biggest complaint about LE is that I do not get why the hips are always cut so darned low. If they just raised the hip opening they would go from a mom-look on the majority of their suits, to a classic tank look. They could still provide support and coverage on the top and back area, but offering a higher cut leg would seriously update their look.

This would be my biggest complaint too.....They seem to be "trying" to improve that with some of their suits this year.....and their LE canvas collection.

SnuggleBuggles
08-04-2011, 10:21 PM
I buy bottoms at Canvas or other places (Target, ON...) b/c I do find the LE ones to be a bit too big. :)

Beth

justlearning
08-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Well, my body looks like a grandmother's so wearing a swimsuit that looks like an old lady is the least of my concerns. :)

I have been very happy with my swimsuit from Lands End because the skirt bottoms offer extra coverage (heck, I wish I had coverage down to my knees!) and the tankini top is long torso, which works well for me because I'm tall.

GaPeach_in_Ca
08-05-2011, 01:47 PM
There is nothing worse than going to the beach and seeing someone in a bikini who is too old for it or doesn't have a bikini body!

Really, nothing worse? I hope we are not going to the same beach.

I actually hate wearing suits with a lot of fabric. I much prefer 2 piece, whether or not someone thinks I have a bikini body. I'm guessing you would say no because I have stretch marks and a bit of saggy tummy after 2 kids.

elektra
08-05-2011, 01:57 PM

I actually hate wearing suits with a lot of fabric. I much prefer 2 piece, whether or not someone thinks I have a bikini body. I'm guessing you would say no because I have stretch marks and a bit of saggy tummy after 2 kids.

Completely agree! I think it's awesome when I see someone in a skimpy bikini on a beach. When I was in Hawaii, there was a mom there with a very flabby tummy, yet she still was strutting her stuff, and had tiny bottoms on. I thought she looked gorgeous. She owned it.

I do think this must be regional- something I never would have picked up on until reading about it on the board, as I have only been to beaches and pools in Florida, California, Hawaii, and a few other places here and there where I probably wasn't paying much attention. Bikinis all the way around- fit, fat, skinny, flabby, whatever.

AnnieW625
08-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Completely agree! I think it's awesome when I see someone in a skimpy bikini on a beach. When I was in Hawaii, there was a mom there with a very flabby tummy, yet she still was strutting her stuff, and had tiny bottoms on. I thought she looked gorgeous. She owned it.

I do think this must be regional- something I never would have picked up on until reading about it on the board, as I have only been to beaches and pools in Florida, California, Hawaii, and a few other places here and there where I probably wasn't paying much attention. Bikinis all the way around- fit, fat, skinny, flabby, whatever.

YAY (to the mom who rocked the bikini! I am going to have an I can do that next summer moment here:))

It is very regional. Even in northern California which is a tad more conservative than So Cal (and most people only go to the local pool because SF and Santa Cruz beaches are usually freezing) I would still see a mix of swim wear and there was usually more tankinis than mom suits.

scriptkitten
08-05-2011, 05:04 PM
I think they have a pretty wide range of suits, my latest one is (to me) a total classic:
http://http://www.landsend.com/pp/CarmelSolidVneckBikiniTop~222169_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_Swimwear-_-Women-_-ShopbySilhouette-_-TopsTankinis&origin=index (http://www.landsend.com/pp/CarmelSolidVneckBikiniTop~222169_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_Swimwear-_-Women-_-ShopbySilhouette-_-TopsTankinis&origin=index)

I bought a few Canvas ones too this year, and like them as well. I don't have the well-endowed problem, though :)

that suit is GREAT!

totally agree. i love all bodies in bikinis and i love seeing people's personal tastes. everything people wear says a little something about themselves even if they don't mean it to.

liz
08-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Ok, I have to ask. What exactly is a "mom" bathing suit? I have seen this term used in this thread many times.

bubbaray
08-05-2011, 05:52 PM
From my reading of this thread, mom suits are ones that people think are ugly or that they are embarassed to wear. It also sounds like grandma ones are even worse. The terms "mom" and "grandma" in this thread are definitely used in a negative sense.

Beth24
08-05-2011, 06:23 PM

Yes everyone wears bikinis here in So Cal! Except me because I am way too self conscious about my large boobs...case in point I was wearing one of my non lands ends suits without extra boob support and was swimming with my 13yo son in the ocean Tuesday. I came up from under a wave and heard him say uh mom, you may want to pull up your top...yes I had totally fallen out. Very embarrassing. Today I wore my LE tankini with underwire and was quite secure and contained.

Globetrotter
08-05-2011, 07:10 PM
The other day I saw a very pregnant woman wearing a bikini, and she exuded such confidence that you couldn't help but love it. I thought she looked beautifu.

I will never be that woman, however :tongue5:

scriptkitten
08-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Ok, I have to ask. What exactly is a "mom" bathing suit? I have seen this term used in this thread many times.

To me, a "mom suit" has one or more of the following attributes:
Super low cut at the hips on a suit that isn't trying for a retro vibe
Noticeable shaping/girdle attributes at the midsection.
A high rise at the waist on a suit that is not trying for a retro vintage vibe.
Skirts that seem designed to hide things as opposed to being flirty
Thick material
Really full coverage on the top that doesn't read as sporty, retro or playful

No judgements here.... These are just my thoughts. Mom suits have lots of benefits... They stay in place while you play and they support bewbs!!! I also believe mom suits can be super adorable. I really wanted a spanx suit this season but I couldn't find one to fit right.

echoesofspring
08-05-2011, 07:44 PM
I have tried so many times to buy a LE suit and I've returned every single one I've ordered. I mean we've been doing this for years now, it's amazing they still let me order :)

But I do have to RAVE about the CS. I was packaging up the most recent failure to return and realized that I had a suit I had not returned but never worn or washed/still had the sanitary slip on it from a year ago. Now usually I would be too embarrassed to do anything about it, but I guess after childbirth you lose all shame and so I took that suit as well (didn't have a packing slip but had an email copy of the order) with the new one to Sears and they refunded me for both, no questions asked!