View Full Version : Overwhelmed

HIU8
08-03-2011, 04:50 PM
OT 1x/week
ST 2x/week
possible VT starting
possible social skills classes
private school b/c public will not do an IEP

Did I mention this is all private pay b/c our insurance covers NOTHING! I'm just a little overwhelmed. I need a full-time job. I cannot get one in my field. I'm doing a cert in another field. When I'm done, my starting pay will be rock bottom (but at least it's something). I will not deny DS any services he needs b/c the object is for him to be as successful as possible. I don't care if we go on food stamps to achieve this. However, I just might lose it from the stress of it all.

I so wish our public school system actually served the kids they say they serve. The county speech eval was an absolute joke. DS has multiple issues and the county actually said that since he is understandable they will do nothing for him.

egoldber
08-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Heather, it's OK to say you can only deal with focusing on one (or 2) thing at a time. That doesn't make you a terrible parent or that you are not meeting his needs.

That is a LOT of therapy for a school aged. A LOT. Just speaking from my DD's experience there is not way she or we (as parents) could have managed all of that at one time. Therapy involves work outside of the therapy session as well in order to be successful. I would consider carefully how much you think you and your DH can truly commit to doing with your DS this year.

Most people we know focus on 1-2 therapies a year. And you can always start with 1 or 2 and then add in more if you feel like he needs more.

HIU8
08-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks Beth.

We are not doing VT right now. OT wants us to start. I want to wait until DS is really reading. Also, I think the social skills classes will have to wait. DS's school focuses on pragmatics every single day, so he will get about 30 minutes of a social skills type of setting each morning. We are waiting to see if that is enough.

Right now OT is after school and ST is during the school day. It all just hit me b/c of the cost of just the OT and speech and knowing that I can't even look for a job until November when I hopefully pass this certification I'm trying to get. This will pass (it happens to me about 1x a year that I literally freak out about expenses in general. This is the time for me I guess.