PDA

View Full Version : Leapster novice. Help Please?

MamaMolly
08-03-2011, 09:16 PM
I think Lula is ready for one of these, but to be really honest I have no idea what to get. Leapester? Leap Pad? Cartridges? Games? I feel :dizzy:

Any suggestions of guidance will be greatly appreciated. She is nearly 5, if that helps.

mikeys_mom
08-03-2011, 09:52 PM
The original one is the Leapster, then there is the Leapster 2 which can be connected to your PC and you can download games. I don't know if you can even find the original Leapster anymore. The newest one is the Leapster Explorer. I think the graphics, screen colour and quality on the Explorer is better. DS and DD1 both have the Leapster 2 and they are happy with them. They are not really "high-tech" kids so they really don't care about the graphics.

The Leapster 2 comes with 2 games already loaded on and you can then download a few basic games for free. That would probably keep an almost 5 year old interested for a short time. Then, you can buy all sorts of cartridge games (Dora, Toy Story, Cars, Star Wars, etc...). I assume that the Explorer is very similar.

DD1 is 4.5yo. She got a pink leapster for her 4th bday. It was a bit of a challenge for her originally but she really wanted one because DS had one. After a few months she got the hang of it. Her favorite games are Toy Story 3, Cars and Dora. DS is almost 7 and he likes Cars and My Amusement Park. DS doesn't really use it a ton anymore, mainly on long car trips. He sometimes asks for a DS. Maybe for his 7th bday...

HTH.

WatchingThemGrow
08-03-2011, 11:24 PM
DD and DS1 have the Explorer. I think they really like them. This week, she figured out the camera and goes around taking pics of everyone and decorating them.

traciann
08-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Dd has the leapster 2 and its good for as much as she plays with it. A friend gave us a ton of games so I haven't considered upgrading. I do really like the leap pad and if I was buying one today that is the one I would get.

Purple18
08-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Dd has the leapster 2 and its good for as much as she plays with it. A friend gave us a ton of games so I haven't considered upgrading. I do really like the leap pad and if I was buying one today that is the one I would get.

I agree - I'm actually bummed we got the Explorer last Christmas and wish we had waited for the cool Leap pad - it seems that the games are interchangable though. We don't have the camera, but we definitely recommend the charger and the carrying case. The Explorer really got DS1 intersted in writing - Mr. Pencil game. We bought through Leapfrog's website when they had a bundle deal and I had a 20% off code from an e-mail.

bubbaray
08-03-2011, 11:50 PM
At nearly age 5, I'd get a Nintendo DSXL. :thumbsup: