PDA

View Full Version : What are you grateful for?

lmwbasye
08-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Okay, I'm determined to make this a good day (I need one) and figured I'd take a moment this morning to list a few things I'm grateful for:

- my cold Diet Coke
- my new antennas that are bringing me free TV, thus saving me money from DirecTV
- my upcoming trip to the beach with the boys
- TV in general keeping the boys entertained as I know it's the only way I'll get something done today
- Facetime with DH

What are you grateful for today?

lmh2402
08-04-2011, 09:45 AM
- DS was actually excited and happy when the nanny got here this morning (no screaming!!:))
- DS told me on my way out, "mama, i gonna give you seven kisses and then you will go to work." :heartbeat:
- i feel less ill than i've been feeling the last couple of days
- going out to dinner tonight, so i don't have to cook :jammin:
- it's almost friday
- my dh said some very nice things to me this morning, unsolicited :heartbeat:, and i realized that he does that kind of stuff pretty often and i should be more appreciative

that's it for now.

nice thread. i know i should keep a gratitude journal b/c my general attitude is far too negative... i keep meaning to start, but then i don't

wencit
08-04-2011, 09:46 AM
- the fact that DH still has a job in this economy
- wonderful friends, one of whom has invited us to spend the weekend at her vacation home with her family
- Toy Story 3 DVD, which is currently entertaining my kids so that I can check the BBB and then take a shower in a few minutes
- speaking of which, the BBB -- you ladies (and men!) keep me sane, as well as entertain, inspire, and educate me

KpbS
08-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Air conditioning for the 5th day over 100 degrees--yesterday was 109 w/ heat index of 116.

LMPC
08-04-2011, 09:50 AM
That I have a DH that can still make me laugh after 14 years together.
That I have my DD.
That I don't worry daily about how to pay bills or put food on the table.

jenmcadams
08-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Here are my minor day to day things:

Yummy homemade cinnamon rolls and diet coke
Sweet dogs who sleep on the bed with me while my DH is gone

My major thanks go for:

My DH's continued health improvement and the wonderful doctors and therapists who are working to get him better (he had a pretty big health scare and is hopefully on the mend)
My sweet kids...they've been troopers and are just easy and sweet
DH's company for not even questioning how long he'll be out of the office...he started the company, but it's small (8-10 employees) and while they have amazing health insurance, they don't currently have short/long term disability coverage. We could have tapped savings, but they have committed to paying him for as long as it takes for him to get better
Amazing friends (both IRL and online here)
Our families who are so supportive

liz
08-04-2011, 10:11 AM
great thread!

-freshly made iced coffee, just the way I like it
-DH waking up (without me reminding him to get up!) and pitching in to get the kids ready this am so I could head out the door to drop off ds1 for camp in time
-beautiful weather today (sunny, 70-80's temp) and I am not working!
-my new hammock arrived yesterday and I have a really good book to read
-I have dinner planned already (no last minute scramble today)

bubbaray
08-04-2011, 10:13 AM
That Pandora finally works here! :thumbsup:

That my girls are having fun at the GPs.

That DH and I finally got some time alone together, even if it was at home.

That we finally have some sunshine and warm weather here -- its been a long cold summer until the past week.

dec756
08-04-2011, 10:46 AM
i have a job
found an awesome town house X your fingers!

BabyBearsMom
08-04-2011, 10:50 AM
- That DH was able to stay home with DD today since I could not miss another day of work
- That even though DD is sick, she is still the sweetest, snuggliest little girl on earth and not a total cranky beast even with a 102 fever
- That in 10 days we are leaving on vacation!
- That my back is not hurting at all today
- That my boss is on vacation for the next 10 days, so I can leave early every day
- That my DH wasn't pissed about me getting another stroller and even said it was "kind of cool looking" and asked if this would be "his" stroller since it looks so masculine.

jse107
08-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Big things:
...that DH and I are both steadily employed in this economy.
...that DH and I have a pretty solid marriage and he's not an a-hole
...My kids and immediate family are all healthy.
...I have some really great friends who are so loyal.

Little things:
...My boss (knock on wood) has not been on my back at work this summer. (That might even count as a big thing.)
...our summer pool membership.
...our veggie garden.
...John Stewart and Stephen Colbert.
...Matt Damon (see his recent speech on the Mall and follow-up with a reporter).

daniele_ut
08-04-2011, 11:22 AM
My family. Specifically the example that my sister is setting for all of us as she and her family are facing a terrible health crisis with my nephew. I live 2500 miles away, but I happened to be in NY when he got sick and was able to spend some time with him. I'm hoping to get back out there again before my pregnancy advances too far for me to travel.

Also, dh. I've been SO sick for the last 3 months and he has been a trooper.

AnnieW625
08-04-2011, 11:26 AM
My family, our jobs, my Pandora radio, and the fact that work is slow (but really that does kind of suck because I should be limiting my time here :bag).

I am thankful that DD1 is starting kindergarten in a little over three weeks and she is excited about it. I no longer have to pay for two kids in full time daycare!:boogie:!

I am also excited that I am slowly becoming more comfortable that DH will be gone for 10 days in September and I'll be okay with the girls. It's been nerve wracking the last couple of months but as the time gets closer I am getting better with it. DH has never been gone for more than 3 days since I had DD1, and has never been gone overnight since I had DD2.

I:heartbeat: Matt Damon more this week than I did last week (and seriously still loved him before that) because of his speech, which I have only seen bits and pieces of on Lawrence O'Donnell. If anyone has a non You Tube link to that speech I'd appreciate the link.

That my car will be paid off next month, and we can start saving for a nicer newer car for DH.

amldaley
08-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Air conditioning
a comfy bed
tylenol
BBB and all of you

SpaceGal
08-04-2011, 01:24 PM
-DH has his new job and gives him zero take home stress so we can enjoy him when he's home...rather than know that Daddy is doing paperwork or making calls.

-My mom has helped me a great deal this week in working through some financial issues/burden that she didn't have to but wanted to help with

-I managed to stay up this morning in trying to break my night owl/morning hater schedule.

-Enjoyed a nice walk with my three kids and got some fresh air and exercise.

Melaine
08-04-2011, 01:26 PM
I like this thread! Will add mine later, but am going to take a cold shower first.

WatchingThemGrow
08-04-2011, 01:56 PM
[LIST]
My DH's continued health improvement and the wonderful doctors and therapists who are working to get him better (he had a pretty big health scare and is hopefully on the mend)
:hug::hug::hug:

great visit with DH's aunt & uncle from Portland, plus two 10yo grandchildren
DH works so hard at home and at his job
family and friends are so supportive when I cancel our plans b/c DS2 has yet another fever
a night away at GWL last weekend
my older DC are playing together really well!

Gena
08-04-2011, 02:00 PM
- Our family and friends
- That DH and I both have jobs and that we are able to take time off for DS's needs
- DS's teachers and therapists, who truly value him as a person and are dedicated to their professions
- That my parents are still alive, despite their health problems
- frozen Cokes
- chocolate

SkyrMommy
08-04-2011, 02:04 PM
- DH, who always is supportive and thoughtful, even when he's in a rush.
- DD and her love and kisses today, just what I needed.
- my community, DD and I just had some great visits with random people that we saw out and about on our errands today.
- my peaceful home.
- our health.
- blue skies, sunny summer days, and sparkles on the water.

:bighand: What a great thread today. :heartbeat: This community here is certainly fantastic!

Melaine
08-04-2011, 02:07 PM
I am thankful for:

:love5: DH, making such a huge effort for me right now. I've had a rough year, and he is working so hard for us to re-connect. I love him.:heartbeat:

:love5: My girlfriends, and having girls nights lately! What a relief, I needed them desperately. I include you guys in my "girlfriends" category because I really appreciate the support I get here too.

:love5:Losing 20lbs! Definitely helped me feel a lot better. Thank you, MFP.com!

:love5:God's grace in daily and generous doses. I'm lapping it up lately, I feel thirsty for His mercy & love which never run dry.

:love5:The funny things my kids say. They are hysterical and it really helps get through a long day!

kdeunc
08-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Laura,
I am grateful for the sacrifice that your DH and your family are making for me and mine! I hope that your day has been better than your last few!

♥ms.pacman♥
08-04-2011, 02:22 PM
-very kind and loving supportive DH, who is so patient with the kids (and me, LOL)..who comes back tomorrow from another round of traveling
-my sweet DS who is starting to really talk and say the cutest things. yesterday he started telling DD "Bless you! Bless you!" after she sneezes :heartbeat:
-air conditioning for the 32nd (33rd?) day in a row of 100+ temps.
-getting to go to CA and visit my family and do a family vacation with friends in 2weeks!
-Pandora radio (especially Toddler Radio...love how they sneak Michael Buble and Jason Mraz in there!)
-my DSLR, my iMac, and Adobe Photoshop LIghtroom software so i can always have really good pics of the kids to keep for years to come!!
-my cousin and her 3yo son (who've i' haven't met yet) are coming on Sat, am so excited to see them, and for DS to have a boy he can play around with

..and that my kids are both NAPPING now (at the same time!! omg) :D

momm
08-04-2011, 02:30 PM
- DH's health (getting over some recent stuff)
- DS's health (back from pedi visit after a worrisome symptom)
- DH's love and support and kindness
- Family support
- That even though we have to live on a budget, we have enough to roof our son's head and get him the necessities in life.
- The chocolate ice cream in the freezer...mmmmm.. AND the strawberries!
- That libraries have free, unlimited books you can check out and read.
- That I have a place that I can come to for advice and the silliest of questions and am guaranteed to get loads and loads of help - yep, that's the BBB

crayonblue
08-04-2011, 03:00 PM
- Two healthy kids. I will never take that for granted.
- That DH and I got to go to a very good friend's funeral the day we left for CA. I would have felt like we left something behind if we hadn't been able to celebrate her life at her memorial service.
- The weather in San Diego. 70 and sunny. My mom just called and it's 106 in east Texas. I'm thankful!
- My new neighborhood full of friendly kids and parents.
- DH's coworkers who decorated his whole office beach theme for his first day.
- Our rental house. Despite having spent a week cleaning it (ick!), it is really the perfect set up and size for us.
- A new washer and dryer that WORK! After four years of using a piece of poop (to put it nicely), it feels luxurious to wash and dry well!
- Magic Erasers. I know they are full of chemicals and all that, but they cleaned the disgusting grout in the tile floors quite well!

Seitvonzu
08-04-2011, 03:10 PM
The Pioneer Woman's Method for Making Iced Coffee (thank you again BBB, without you i would not know of this method, as i don't regularly check TPW's site)... i'm on my second glass today. it's delish!

that lu & i survived a scary near-car crash incident on the highway yesterday.... and made it to IKEA safely

that once we were at IKEA we were able to wait safely for daddy to come get us (this was related not to the near-car crash, but a medical issue that i had that could have been triggered by the near-car crash)

and that while in line for food at IKEA i encountered a wonderful nurse whose kindness and concern went miles in helping me to calm down and focus on things being "okay"-- it was a simple act of concern and really changed the course of my day

that "daddy" (dh) was able to come "save" us (mostly drive dd home...i was nervous about that), because his government job is flexible and this was a medical situation.

cute packages from gymboree that i forgot i ordered

my daughter's super hero phase-- does any one else live with an apple-girl from the planet orchard? i didn't think so ;)

an upcoming trip to my parents with lucy...after my dad read on facebook this morning about my yesterday, my mother calls and says , i quote "dad read it on your facepage this morning... i'm ready for you to come home so mommy can take care of you." my mother is , SO, NOT, Like that. she also had an expert opinion on something she doesn't know anything about-- much more her style ;)

nothing like a scary experience to make you think about the good things in life ;) tonight we're going to meet up with friends at a local winery that turns into a farmer's market on thursdays-- i'm grateful for that too :)

DietCokeLover
08-04-2011, 05:19 PM
:heartbeat: I have two amazing children who bless me more than I could ever bless them
:heartbeat: DH, who is so much more gracious to me than I deserve
:heartbeat: I have wonderful parents
:heartbeat: I have a relationship with Christ that sustains me
:heartbeat: having a swimming pool in this 110+ degree heat
:heartbeat: Diet Coke! (anyone surprised by that?)
:heartbeat: Shaun the Sheep - because his presence on my tv screen gives me a few minutes to myself most days

thomma
08-04-2011, 06:56 PM
After having breast cancer last year, I'm grateful that I got two thumbs up for my mammogram today!

bubbaray
08-04-2011, 06:59 PM
After having breast cancer last year, I'm grateful that I got two thumbs up for my mammogram today!

OK, you win. :cheerleader1:

maestramommy
08-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Okay, this is a good exercise, since I've been feeling too gloomy to be grateful lately.

-Dh who is home practically on the dot of 6 every night. Cept when he goes out with the guys once in a blue moon.
- My awesome sitter, who is able to recount her afternoon with my hellions with dry humor.
- My 3 girls (yeah, imagine that:D) who are insanely healthy, bounce back from things like super balls, and each have a ton of their own charm.
-Shep, who though he's a bit lazy, is really the best dog we could've hoped for for our family.

MoJo
08-04-2011, 08:47 PM
It's been a big week here!
* a new part-time job for me
* a preschool slot for JellyBean at the school I've wanted her to attend since before she was born
* a daycare slot for Holly that I know is far better than any of our other options
* both cars running again after neither wanted to start last week, meaning both have spent several days at the garage
* that infant allergy testing at least starts with a simple blood draw vs all the pokes of the full test
* the $5 DVD player and $10 kitchen sink that DH found at a yard sale today
* The "new" living room that's almost ready (we're taking a room that had been used primarily for storage and turning it into a living room . . . and then the living room can be a dining room. . . and then hopefully we can eat meals together at a table as a family)
* a new supervisor for my DH when he returns to school in a week and a half
* a basically happy and healthy family full of hugs from Ha and compliments from JellyBean
* and as of this month, 20 years in Christ.

I was quite happy for you, Laura, just in starting this thread after your last one!