PDA

View Full Version : "Bad Guy" Shows

lmwbasye
08-04-2011, 10:24 AM
The boys keep asking to watch what they call Bad Guy shows on Netflix streaming, i.e. Spiderman, Ironman, Avengers, etc. (all animated).

Do you let your children watch these and, if so, what ones? Looking to find out if there are any that might be okay without having to pre-watch them too much, ha ha. So far, I've not given in, but maybe I'm being a bit unfair.

TIA!

arivecchi
08-04-2011, 10:54 AM
My DS(1) loves those shows. He is obsessed with super heroes and it's an interest that he has in common with DH so I let them have their fun. :) Yes, there is violence in them, so I keep an eye on the TV while he watches them, but we are not very conservative as to what our kids watch on TV so YMMV. There is the superhero squad show as well which I think is more tame.

KpbS
08-04-2011, 11:00 AM
What about a show like PBS's Wild Kratts? It has bad guys that try to thwart the Kratt brothers but it is still educational and the good guys win :)

kristenk
08-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Or what about Phinneas and Ferb or Kim Possible?

love_a_latte
08-04-2011, 11:01 AM
DS loves those shows also, but they are generally a bit to violent for my taste. I let him watch them on his birthday, if he is sick, or hurt. That being said, we just ran across 'Spiderman, the '67 collection' on instant view and it is great! DS gets his superhero fix, but is super tame compared to the more recent shows, win/win! He is thrilled to finally have a show he can watch without special permission.
There is also a similar Superman collection that we will check out sometime, it looks like something he would like.

AnnieW625
08-04-2011, 11:16 AM
DD1 (5) loves Transformers (original series from the mid 80s), and Transformers Prime. She also likes Thundercats, which was also originally on in the 1980s. Power Puff Girls while newer is also a favorite.

IMHO for an almost 7 yr. old I don't think there is anything wrong with watching those shows and they are oh so popular with that age set.

lmwbasye
08-04-2011, 11:29 AM
IMHO for an almost 7 yr. old I don't think there is anything wrong with watching those shows and they are oh so popular with that age set.

Yeah, it's more the 3 year old I'm concerned about.

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming. :)

hillview
08-04-2011, 02:28 PM
I don't let my 6 and almost 4 year old watch these. We do have the I can read books.
/hillary

kboyle
08-04-2011, 03:11 PM
My DS(1) loves those shows. He is obsessed with super heroes and it's an interest that he has in common with DH so I let them have their fun. :) Yes, there is violence in them, so I keep an eye on the TV while he watches them, but we are not very conservative as to what our kids watch on TV so YMMV.

same here. all my boys watch them and they always have. we've never really monitored their tv for violence and while they do beat up on each other from time to time they aren't violent children.

heck, one of ds2's favorite movies is Braveheart!

KpbS
08-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Another--the original Super Friends (from our childhood) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Super_Friends.jpg. We rented this from our library. Bad guys but not violent.