PDA

View Full Version : Buying Lego's off ebay?

artvandalay
08-04-2011, 10:49 AM
UPDATE:
I bought a set off ebay of 300 random pieces that came with 2 minifigures... my kids LOVE it! It's fun because the pieces are so totally random, so they can really use their imagination. I just ordered more!

Good idea or bad? Do they even make fakes?

I've been looking at some random Lego lot sets, some are 300 pieces, says they are all randomly selected pieces. My boys have a few Lego's, so I know some pieces can be very tiny. I guess I'm worried about getting junky pieces, too. Suppose best thing would be to read the seller's feedback.

I've looked at my CL but there is nothing.

Meatball Mommie
08-04-2011, 11:52 AM
I did it a few years ago. When DS1 was 6, he wanted a lego themed birthday party. I ordered some bulk pre-owned legos with no problem. IIRC, I ordered a few boxes from different sellers. I had no problems with them being dirty or anything but I did check the feedback before I bought. We did get some unusual pieces but that was part of the fun of it.

My boys loved having a big bin of random legos to build with. They do have sets, but I think it helped them become more creative in their building vs. just following directions. I say go for it but watch feedback and shipping charges.

lil_acorn
08-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Have you tried posting a "wanted" on freecycle? I got a ton of legos for my kids from one person after posting - put them in a big bleach soak in the kitchen sink before use.

artvandalay
08-04-2011, 03:19 PM
I did it a few years ago. When DS1 was 6, he wanted a lego themed birthday party. I ordered some bulk pre-owned legos with no problem. IIRC, I ordered a few boxes from different sellers. I had no problems with them being dirty or anything but I did check the feedback before I bought. We did get some unusual pieces but that was part of the fun of it.

My boys loved having a big bin of random legos to build with. They do have sets, but I think it helped them become more creative in their building vs. just following directions. I say go for it but watch feedback and shipping charges.

Good to know you had a good experience. I think this is what I'll do. Is 300 pieces alot? Or are the pieces so tiny that 300 is not really going to amount to much?

Have you tried posting a "wanted" on freecycle? I got a ton of legos for my kids from one person after posting - put them in a big bleach soak in the kitchen sink before use.

I just signed up for freecycle... didn't realize I had to be "approved", though. Waiting for the mod to approve me. Thanks!

StantonHyde
08-04-2011, 04:26 PM
We buy them on Ebay alot--DS wants just the minifigs and we can get them on Ebay.

artvandalay
08-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Update in original post

Corie
08-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Great idea!! I never thought to buy big batches off Ebay.

artvandalay
08-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Great idea!! I never thought to buy big batches off Ebay.

Yeah, the seller had 100% positive reviews and everything was great.

ONly problem is - 300 really isn't that much, lol. I should have purchased like 3 sets at once to save on shipping!