PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know of or worked for the Melaleuca Wellness Company?

eh613c
08-04-2011, 11:51 AM
I've been hearing about the Melaleuca Wellness Company for a while and they target SAHMs to work for them.

Anyone here familiar with the company? Anyone worked for them? Is it a scam?

TIA

daisymommy
08-04-2011, 11:58 AM
I did for awhile.

It's not a scam, but it is multi-level-marketing.
You have to buy a certain $$ amount of product each month to stay active. Which for me defeated the purpose of trying to make money doing it. You make sales calls, try to get others to join, etc. Then you get a commission off of what they buy. Very typical stuff.

I liked alot of what they sold, but I certainly could get even better green products in the store for cheaper.

BabyH
08-04-2011, 12:20 PM
My friends' parents have been doing it for almost 20 years. They have made upwards of $3 million, and they do have other "real" jobs, but they have been VERY successful with it. The products seem great, and maybe one day if I choose to revamp every single cleaning and healthcare item I use, I'll look into their products. So far, the only thing I've bought is the dog shampoo, and I haven't used it yet.

babystuffbuff
08-04-2011, 12:25 PM
My in-laws used to do it and quite honestly, we were all pretty relieved when they stopped. Mostly it was the way they handled it - a few of DH's siblings got roped into buying (and buying, and buying) from them and although we never did, the constant "oh, Melaleuca has a great product for that" was irritating. They certainly seemed to like the products and I'm sure we could have used some of them, but seeing how it snowballed with other family members made us not want to get involved. Like Daisymommy said, you need to buy a certain amount yourself, which means you have to get others to buy more to make up for the money you spend to "stay in". For my ILs, that meant having a house chock-a-block with Melaleuca stuff and hearing about it all. the. time. It obviously left a bad taste in my mouth. :(

AnnieW625
08-04-2011, 12:30 PM
I liked alot of what they sold, but I certainly could get even better green products in the store for cheaper.

:yeahthat: That was my feeling when I first found out about the company from another friend. I had the same feeling about Shaklee too (similar MLM company that sells green products).

crayonblue
08-04-2011, 12:34 PM
My in-laws used to do it and quite honestly, we were all pretty relieved when they stopped. Mostly it was the way they handled it - a few of DH's siblings got roped into buying (and buying, and buying) from them and although we never did, the constant "oh, Melaleuca has a great product for that" was irritating. They certainly seemed to like the products and I'm sure we could have used some of them, but seeing how it snowballed with other family members made us not want to get involved. Like Daisymommy said, you need to buy a certain amount yourself, which means you have to get others to buy more to make up for the money you spend to "stay in". For my ILs, that meant having a house chock-a-block with Melaleuca stuff and hearing about it all. the. time. It obviously left a bad taste in my mouth. :(

This. I have family members who sell or have sold Melaleuca.

JBaxter
08-04-2011, 12:39 PM
My friend got rooked into signing up she has to buy EVERY cleaning product , vitamin, etc from them to make her monthly quota. I like a lot of their products but like Daisymommy I can get just as green products cheaper and on my schedule of ordering.

I love their dishwasher detergent and have my friend order it for me so she can make her monthly points.

hellokitty
08-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Run, FAR away from this company. Their sales tactics are extremely aggressive. While they do have some products that are good, all Melaleuca (sp) sales reps I have ever encountered are nuts, it's like a cult. Also, they lie. They tell you that your child could drink the cleaner and be safe. Not true. I am a sales rep myself for an at home biz (usborne books), but it is nowhere as aggressive as Malaleuca. Basically, the incentive not only to sell the product, but you want to recruit as many ppl as possible. Sorry, I hope I did not offend anyone, but I hate what this company stands for, I've had bad experiences with friends who became Malaleuca sales rep and it's like they completely lost their senses and spam their friends constantly trying to get them to buy or join.

WolfpackMom
08-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Its a pyramid scheme, just like most other things like this. (Sorry, dont want to upset anyone). My SIL is always roping my MIL into things like this, and it is truly irritating dealing with them and their latest most "amazing item." No I dont want to buy your Seven, Vitamins, Health Shakes, personalized training based on blood type...etc.

BDKmom
08-04-2011, 12:59 PM
My neighbor gave me the pitch shortly before DS was born. While their products seemed nice, even as a consumer you had to order a certain amount each month, you couldn't purchase individual products. So I would have basically had to spend something like $100 just to try the stuff out. And I think it's a subscription type thing where the stuff keeps coming every month, and you have to cancel if you don't want it. Maybe it would work well for folks with large families, but for us, I don't think we would have used the stuff frequently enough. My neighbor (SAHM) does seem to enjoy working for them, though. He husband is involved, also, at least to some extent.