PDA

View Full Version : Question about DS' (1 year old) vision

BabyH
08-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Recently I've noticed DS is squinting periodically, kind of like how I would if my head was hurting and I was light sensitive, or if I was getting those "zaps" in my head when a headache is about to start. He does it only every now and again, but when he does, he appears a little confused... but these episodes (for lack of a better word) only last <10 seconds. Is this something that I should call the nurse about? Or an eye doc about?

I just don't know if there's something going on like near or farsightedness going on, if he's just everything in, or maybe suffering from headaches?

FWIW, he had a head CT in April, so that would have shown anything really serious going on....

Just thought I'd post to see if this rang a bell with anyone else. Thanks!

sunshine873
08-04-2011, 01:21 PM
I think if you have any questions about a DCs vision, you should take them into a pediatric opthamologist. Many disorders can be treated early and can eliminate problems later on. It wouldn't hurt to get it checked out.

Gena
08-04-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm in favor of all little kids - even infants and toddlers - having at least one real eye exam by either a pediatric ophthamologist or an optometrist, and not just the screening at the peds office.

DS has some complex vision problems, which were discovered when he was 2. DH and I were shocked; we had no clue that his vision was so bad. I really wish we had known about his vision at an earlier age. It is very easy for parents to miss vision problems in young kids. There are many vision issues that can be corrected more easily when caught early, so it's best to just get it checked out.

HIU8
08-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Totally agree. DN was already in glasses at age 2 with a correctable problem (I think she was 18 months at her first appointment). She is now 5.

DS and DD have already been to Wilmer Eye Institute. We have eye issues that run in the family and feel it's important to get it checked out early so we can start to help them. Thankfully neither had the major eye issue but DS will need to start VT for convergence issues and I was told that both my kids will need glasses before they reach age 10.