PDA

View Full Version : Help me plan a Costco trip

crl
08-04-2011, 01:42 PM
So I rarely go to Costco. I admit I find it overwhelming. Dh has been going, but he has three broken ribs and a concussion so I'm not asking him to go anytime soon.

I will have to take dd with me, which screws up nap, sigh. At any rate I need to get in and out as fast as possible for my sanity and because we will be running into cranky toddler territory.

If the stars align, I will go tomorrow.

I need baby wipes, toilet paper, paper towels and soda. I will also look at the toddler clothes, primarily hoping for Hanna bargains. I will also look for the y-bike posted in the bargains section.

What else should I get? Keep in mind I need a relatively short list to maintain sanity. So I want to focus only on things that would be really good buys, outside of my usual stock-up items. I am thinking meat might be a possibility. And organic milk. Maybe cereal?

Thanks for suggestions!
Catherine

HIU8
08-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Can you be there about 15 minutes before they open? I find that if I go in when they open it's a bit easier to deal with (less crowds and less time waiting to check out). You might want to peruse the clothes (HA leggings, cute dresses also). I buy their frozen chicken, steel head trout, pizza, strawberries, organic AJ, sometimes their ground beef.

AnnieW625
08-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Honestly I'd not worry about a Costco trip at this time in your life esp. since you probably won't be able to go at my favorite time, which is around 5 pm. If you can get there right when the doors open at 10 am you might be able to get in and out pretty quick.

99% of the time I buy my chicken, and ground beef at Costco. I like Foster Farms chicken breasts, and they are usually under $3 a pound. I don't buy organic, just the regular (same with the ground beef). If you like ground turkey our Costco sells Foster Farms also so no need to worry about the recall.

I also like Tillamook cheese, and not sure if you can find it at yours but the Alpine Valley breads are great. I get the multi grain.

If you need Spray N Wash Costco usually has the best deal on it. I think it works just as well as the Oxy Clean spray I had been using for years, and it's dirt cheap too.

As far as toddler clothes go the Carters clothes are pretty cute this fall. I haven't really had a chance to look yet but the Hanna leggings from last year wore quite well, but I wouldn't buy the lighter colored ones again. My Costco did have some Hanna dresses on sale for $7.99 so if you can find some 80s get those. They also have Little Me footed jammies (which the lighter prints seem softer than the Hanna non striped ones), and if you like fleece jammies the Carters ones are usually only available in the middle of summer. Costco's Kirkland organic long johns are also nice, but they might be too big in the 2T now.

bubbaray
08-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Can you go close to closing and NOT take children?

baileygirl
08-04-2011, 02:25 PM
I don't know how old your toddler is, but mine like going to costco for the samples. I buy a lot of what was already mentioned, usually some fruit and I am a sucker for the books.

connor_mommy
08-04-2011, 02:30 PM
If you have the executive membership, you can get in just before 10.

AmeMamma
08-04-2011, 02:35 PM
I end up making so many spur of the moment purchases at Costco, especially with all those samples they always have out! That's genius marketing, really. I would recommend making a list and sticking to it. It's very easy to find a lot of neat (but unnecessary) stuff there. I would also not recommend going on a Saturday afternoon or evening. You can barely walk in there because there are so many people.

mikala
08-04-2011, 02:52 PM
We usually make a bee-line past the childrens books so DS can find something to hold onto for the rest of the trip. We also try samples. Lots of samples.

Other current favorites that are usually priced much better than our grocery:
Wholly Guacamole in the refrigerated section near the cheeses/hummus--freezes well and much cheaper than our regular grocery
Tortillaland raw tortillas--in the big freezer cases near the hot dogs. They grill really well
Olive oil
Nuts
Ribs
Frozen Alaskan Salmon
Sliced sandwich cheese

BayGirl2
08-04-2011, 02:57 PM
I find ours way less crowded during a week day, more crowded in the 6pm or later time frame, and the worst on weekends. Samples are generally heavier on the weekends and more crowded times.

Stick to your list and avoid browsing in the processed foods/snacks section - that's where the impulse buys happen for me. I get a lot of meats and cheeses there. Usually do a quick run through of the toys and clothes section for good finds. And I agree, hit the kids books first to get a book for DC, that keeps mine occupied for most of the trip. You can probably skip the entire side w/liquor, office supplies, small appliances, electronics, etc.

crl
08-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Can you go close to closing and NOT take children?

Nope. Dh can't lift dd comfortably at the moment so he can't really take care of her. Plus he is back at work and not likely to make it home before Costco closes. Hiring a babysitter would wipe out the savings of going and seems silly. (Although I'd did think about it for a minute.)

I think this is totally doable, after all it is just one toddler. ;) I just need a good plan and to make myself do it.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I am making my list!

Catherine

curiousgeorge
08-04-2011, 03:12 PM
If you need summer entertainment make sure to swing by the DVDs. Check out the thread in the bargains section.

boilermakermom
08-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Can you be there about 15 minutes before they open? I find that if I go in when they open it's a bit easier to deal with (less crowds and less time waiting to check out). You might want to peruse the clothes (HA leggings, cute dresses also). I buy their frozen chicken, steel head trout, pizza, strawberries, organic AJ, sometimes their ground beef.

yes!!! i usually do not go if i can't make it in the 10 - 11 o'clock hour.

frozen chicken is a must. i love the cereal as well. paper towels and tp are great, but can be a bit bulky in the cart. dd loves the go go squeeze (squeezable applesauce).

joules
08-04-2011, 04:16 PM
my all time favorite - dried mangos!!

crl
08-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Thank you all so much! Dh told me that he will gladly do it and that Costco will send someone around with him to lift stuff. Cool. So I am going to email him a list and he will stop on his way home from work.

Suggestions are even more helpful because I will need a pretty specific list for him. Does anyone know if they stock the Shout color catchers?

Thank you!
Catherine

etaylor75
08-05-2011, 01:00 AM
If I have to take the kids, I like to go around lunchtime...since they are usually serving samples and it is pretty entertaining for DS and DD :)

Erin