PDA

View Full Version : Pigtails on moms over 35--what do you think?

justlearning
08-04-2011, 01:53 PM
In my circle of friends, I've been seeing a good number of moms who are 35-50 wearing pigtails (i.e., two ponytails, one on each side of the head). They usually wear them along with a fun hat.

I think they look really cute on them but it seems to me like a trend for younger girls, so I haven't been gutsy enough to wear them myself (I'm almost 40) and have stuck with the traditional ponytail instead.

So what do you think? Are you wearing pigtails? Are moms in your area? What do you think of them?

bubbaray
08-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Not here. I think they look dumb on adults. Unless you are Lady Gaga and she can pull off anything.

BabyBearsMom
08-04-2011, 01:56 PM
It depends on where they are on the head. I think they look nice if they are at the nape of the neck, but not in the middle of the head. Either way, it's NMS, but I not terrible IMO.

Melaine
08-04-2011, 01:56 PM
I think age has nothing to do with whether or not they flatter you. Some people look great in them, others it doesn't really flatter. I like them on myself WITH a hat. I do two braids sometimes when my hair is long and think it looks fine. I am still in my 20's FTR, but I still think it can work at different ages.

SkyrMommy
08-04-2011, 01:58 PM
I think age has nothing to do with whether or not they flatter you. Some people look great in them, others it doesn't really flatter. I like them on myself WITH a hat. I do two braids sometimes when my hair is long and think it looks fine. I am still in my 20's FTR, but I still think it can work at different ages.

:yeahthat: Totally agree! I would look absolutely ridiculous, but a good friend has this certain style that she can pull pigtails, braided or not, off and she looks funky and cute.

bubbaray
08-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Well, maybe I'm in a minority. But I'm 45 and there are definitely things (such as pigtails) that IMO just look stupid over age 40. It just looks like you are trying too hard -- like the Real Housewives of Orange County, KWIM?

scriptkitten
08-04-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm a fan of people having personal style. I would never think anything negative about a mom wearing pigtails. Or feathers. Or stilettos. Or genie pants. People should have fun with their look and not take life so seriously. Just my opinion.

♥ms.pacman♥
08-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Not here. I think they look dumb on adults. Unless you are Lady Gaga and she can pull off anything.

:yeahthat:

i think they look adorable on little girls, and could even be cute all the way up to college (depending on the style). but older than that, no. i'm 33 and look fairly young for my age and would never wear pigtails.i'd look ridiculous. never seen adults/moms here wear them. ponytails, yes, pigtails, no.

eta: i' assumed pigtails mean the kind high up and on the sides (like from the 80s), and not at the nape of the neck with a baseball cap or something. the latter, i've seen a lot, especially at gyms, pilates, etc. the first, i never see here on adults/moms.

boogiemomz
08-04-2011, 02:17 PM
I think it also depends on the length/style of your hair. Sometimes when my hair is shorter with layers and I can't really get it into a single ponytail, I'll put it in 2 little pigtails at the nape of my neck because that's really my only option for getting it back and out of my face. They're short and spiky and cute, I think (I'm 32.) Not doing it right now because my hair is longer, but I definitely think it can work depending on the style and how you work it.

egoldber
08-04-2011, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't do it because *I* wouldn't feel comfortable, but I think it can look cute on others. :)

janine
08-04-2011, 02:19 PM
I have not seen this - on anyone over 18 let alone 35!

Green_Tea
08-04-2011, 02:19 PM
I wear pigtails sometimes, when my hair is long enough. I wear them low on my head, near the nape of my neck, usually with a baseball cap. If I am not wearing them with a cap, I wear them with a deep side part.

I'm 36.

If I could remember the trick for inserting a facebook pic, I'd show you.

elbenn
08-04-2011, 02:23 PM
I think there's a big difference on whether they are low pigtails or higher ones. Higher pigtails remind me of Krissy on Three's Company.

infomama
08-04-2011, 02:23 PM
http://t1.thpservices.com/fotos/thum4/010/167/esy-000302637.jpgI can pull it off but I don't wear it that way often. This isn't me but this is basically what my hair looks like when I do it (straight, long, blonde)

elektra
08-04-2011, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't do it because *I* wouldn't feel comfortable, but I think it can look cute on others. :)

Yes, I don't like it for me either. I have a friend (my same age-36, same kind of hair too) who does this and looks adorable.

GaPeach_in_Ca
I'm a fan of people having personal style. I would never think anything negative about a mom wearing pigtails. Or feathers. Or stilettos. Or genie pants. People should have fun with their look and not take life so seriously. Just my opinion.

Nicely said.

pinkmomagain
Haven't seen anything like that around here. I wouldn't wear it myself...I already feel like with my hair as long as it is, I'm not quite looking as I should at my age...the pigtails I think would look silly. Reminds me of MaryAnn on Gilligan's Island.

ETA: I am 44.

citymama
08-04-2011, 02:26 PM
There's this mom I see at the playground - pixie faced, pretty, Audrey Hepburn figure - she could probably pull of any kind of look and still look adorable. I've seen her in pigtails and well, it's adorable on her!

Ceepa
08-04-2011, 02:29 PM
If someone is working out, gardening, painting, basically needing her hair out of the way for practical reasons - sure. Or if a hat is involved and the hair is more easily tamed by braids then I think that's fine. Now, if a woman approaching 40 is going for a look with long "farmer's daughter" braids sprouting from the high-middle sides of her head, then I think there are better options.

Green_Tea
08-04-2011, 02:31 PM
I wear pigtails sometimes, when my hair is long enough. I wear them low on my head, near the nape of my neck, usually with a baseball cap. If I am not wearing them with a cap, I wear them with a deep side part.

I'm 36.

If I could remember the trick for inserting a facebook pic, I'd show you.

I think I figured it out:
(picture removed for privacy)

BayGirl2
08-04-2011, 02:32 PM
http://t1.thpservices.com/fotos/thum4/010/167/esy-000302637.jpgI can pull it off but I don't wear it that way often. This isn't me but this is basically what my hair looks like when I do it (straight, long, blonde)

I wear mine like that occasionally too, braided or unbraided. I'm 37 and look similar (although not as cute as the pic). Its not something I wear for everyday life, but occasionally when I am on vacation, at the beach, or most recently for a 4th of July block party bc they seemed to go with the outfit. Its definitely a "younger", more casual way of wearing my hair, but I also consider some looks (french twist, updo) "older", more formal ways, and I like having that flexibility for different situations. One of the benefits of having longer hair. I have a pretty basic style so doing my hair differently is one of the only ways I show much variety.

FWIW when I was a kid I went around in high pigtails for an entire year. Now I wear them much lower, and back further, but I tend to think it generally looks good on me. DH seems to think they are cute.

BayGirl2
08-04-2011, 02:34 PM
I think I figured it out:

(I'll remove the pic soon)
Yes, that is more the look I was thinking of. Mine are similar.
And I think you look super cute there! I would never see that and think you are too old for the hairstyle.

Melaine
08-04-2011, 02:35 PM
I realize we are not all celebrities, but here are a couple of pics that I like of pigtails. I am not talking about high pigtails but low ones or braids.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=marcia+cross+pigtails&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1366&bih=576&tbm=isch&tbnid=ck6w_XYTh88ybM:&imgrefurl=http://www.hairspotlight.com/marcia-cross-in-pigtails.html&docid=hnrsjSk6vmP8rM&w=300&h=400&ei=EeY6Trt8xd2BB5jH5c4G&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=354&page=1&tbnh=136&tbnw=94&start=0&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&tx=25&ty=86

http://www.realbeauty.com/hair/celebrity/beauty-icon-jennifer-lopez

ETA: You have to go to photo 9 for JLo.

ellies mom
08-04-2011, 02:36 PM

When my hair is long enough, I will wear my hair like this or with low pony tails. I haven't had my hair long enough since I was 39 though. It looks fine but I prefer my hair shorter.

Ceepa
08-04-2011, 02:36 PM
OK, when I hear pigtails I think braids. I think some people are saying pigtails about what I call ponytails (no braiding).

Green_Tea
08-04-2011, 02:37 PM
And I think you look super cute there! I would never see that and think you are too old for the hairstyle.

Thanks!

infomama
08-04-2011, 02:40 PM
OK, when I hear pigtails I think braids. I think some people are saying pigtails about what I call ponytails (no braiding).
To me...pigtails are 2 and ponytail is 1. Braiding them doesn't change what I call them.

♥ms.pacman♥
08-04-2011, 02:42 PM
GreenTea, you look so cute!!

i guess when i hear pigtails, this is more of the image i have in my head (up really high and to the side)..
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2c5XvS7bD3y5-CUIRasVj9hJmssaD1D2FQgJc7y7VDG27eeNFJA

justlearning
08-04-2011, 02:46 PM

I'm using it to refer to two pontyails, whether or not they're braided. My friends wear them close to the nape of the neck like GreenTea (cute pic!) and usually with a hat.

For fun, here's an except from wikipedia that defines pigtails (yes, they have an entry on pigtails!):

In the context of hairstyles, the usage of the term pigtail (twintail or twin tail) shows considerable variation.[1][2] According to most dictionaries, a pigtail is a braid of tightly woven hair.[3] The name is based on the short, thin and kinked tail of a pig, referring to the way a short, tight braid may stand out from the scalp through asymmetric tension of the weave. However, the term may also apply to a single braid regardless of length or tension, focusing instead on the knobby texture of the overall structure.

Alternatively, the plural term pigtails may be applied to a pair of two braids or ponytails on opposite sides of the head.[4] In British English the term "pigtail" or "pigtails" refers specifically to bunched hair that has been plaited. Unplaited pairs are "bunches" and a single bunch, regardless of position on the head, is a "ponytail".

Octobermommy
08-04-2011, 02:49 PM
I have a very strong reaction to pig tails on women over 21. They scream "trying to be younger than I am!" except on Halloween. Bad school girl images in my mind. I seriously good get sick picturing it. Ughh

mackmama
08-04-2011, 02:50 PM
i guess when i hear pigtails, this is more of the image i have in my head (up really high and to the side)..
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2c5XvS7bD3y5-CUIRasVj9hJmssaD1D2FQgJc7y7VDG27eeNFJA

:ROTFLMAO:
:hysterical:

i think people should wear whatever they want. if they feel good, i think it's great. i'm not really into the "too young" thing. life is short, and playing around with fashion is fun.

MelissaTC
08-04-2011, 02:50 PM
I do it every so often with or without a hat. Looks cute, helps bedhead and sweating when I run or workout. I also can pull off a headband, fascinator or a hat. I always receive compliments, never strange looks. My bff is jealous about the hairbands and tells me so all the time. I am 36, btw.

justlearning
08-04-2011, 02:51 PM
I do it every so often with or without a hat. Looks cute, helps bedhead and sweating when I run or workout. I also can pull off a headband, fascinator or a hat. I always receive compliments, never strange looks. My bff is jealous about the hairbands and tells me so all the time. I am 36, btw.

What headbands do you have--can you provide links?

ladysoapmaker
08-04-2011, 02:56 PM
I will occasionally wear braided pigtails, mainly when I'm in medieval garb. (DH really likes them). I am 36. But they start at the nape of my neck. I will not do pigtails from the middle of my head. I'm way too old for that.

Occasionally if I feel like being different I'll wear them to work. (I'm an engineer). But this is rare. And I'm not meeting with a client.

If I could find a hat that fit me well, I would probably do it more often.

THat all being said I think it depends on the mom. Some don't look good in them. Others look great. Though I think that really depends on their self confidence as to whether or not they can pull it off.

Jen

liamsmom
08-04-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm in the camp of wear what you want. Some people look better at it than others. Mary-Louise Parker of Weeds pulls it off easily and she's over 40.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk1ai1zRYo1qzer51o1_500.jpg

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmi8fglXU21qzoaqio1_r1_500.jpg

kboyle
08-04-2011, 03:08 PM

totally agree, i'm in my early 30s and wear them every now and then when my hair is super long, usually only during yoga or camping or whenever else i'll be outdoors and don't want my hair in the way, but i've been known to go out to dinner or shopping or even girls nights or dates with hubby with braids...just depends on what i'm wearing.

i love having my hair in braids, it's out of the way, but at the length my hair is now, a bit under shoulders, a few inches above bra strap, it's too short for me, my hair is too thick and it looks bad.

i generally do no wear with hat, i'll throw an elastic/cloth type headband on if i really need to keep the bangs out of my face like in yoga.

rlu
08-04-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm over 40 and I do. I was inspired by Vala and after getting complimented the first time I wore them, I do for informal occassions, going to the park, grocery, or swimming.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=stargate+sg1+pictures+vala&view=detail&id=6DB84BD19D92F03B16F74FA489E88884D2F9FD00&first=0&qpvt=stargate+sg1+pictures+vala&FORM=IDFRIR

I think the "young" vibe depends more on the clothes worn with the style. I wear with or without my hat, depending if I'm out in the sun. I'm in the "still growing" stage of my hair, I donate about every two years and I'm getting close to long enough to donate so the hair is catching in the cardoor, it's heavy in a single ponytail, etc.

MelissaTC
08-04-2011, 03:43 PM
What headbands do you have--can you provide links?

For workouts, I use Bondi Bandz or Sweaty Bands. For typical cuteness, I shop in person or etsy. I hit Target, Forever 21, Claire's, H&m, some local boutiques, Kohls, Nordstrom Rack, etc...

3isEnough
08-04-2011, 03:50 PM

elliput
08-04-2011, 04:03 PM
I wear two occasionally, especially when it is really hot outside. They take the hair off the nape of the neck which helps to cool the body. To be completely honest, I don't care if other people think I am trying to look younger than my 43 years. I am a mature woman with two kids, I am going to do what pleases me. :)

Green_Tea
08-04-2011, 04:08 PM
To be completely honest, I don't care if other people think I am trying to look younger than my 43 years. I am a mature woman with two kids, I am going to do what pleases me. :)

:bighand:

Good for you. I think it's hilarious that anyone might think I am trying to look younger/recapture my youth. What I am really trying to do by wearing pigtails is disguise that I have not showered ;).

ThreeofUs
08-04-2011, 04:28 PM

:yeahthat: Except some of us think Lady Gaga looks dumb, too. :bag

Seriously, some people can pull *any* look off, but I do really think pigtails are for the very young or costumes.

ETA: IMHO, when working out or running, anything goes. I'm talking about just around. And I think of them as the high on the side do, the low gathers on either side look timeless to me.

AnnieW625
08-04-2011, 04:32 PM
WHAT? Like long ones on a non hippie or short ones on women at the gym or out and about? Anything other than that would be weird IMHO. Even I haven't seen that much here in the LA area or the OC and we are usually first for trendy stupid stuff like that.

eta: when I think of pig tails I automatically think of Crissy from Threes Company. I am 34 (so as my sister says I am in my mid 30s, not my early 30s).

momm
08-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Totally dependent on the personality type/ confidence of the person.

I wear them infrequently, informally, but I'm not yet 35. It helps curb my frizz, and my hair stays out of the way

eh613c
08-04-2011, 04:46 PM

bubbaray
08-04-2011, 04:47 PM
I think it depends on what you consider pigtails. I was envisioning the Abby (on NCIS) ones (like the Crissy ones pictured above). I am not a fan of the low pigtails on women over 40. No one I know IRL wears their hair that way, except possibly during sports (running, etc). I've seen them on Weeds and RHOOC, etc. and I just do not like the look. I think under 40, some people can pull off the low pigtails I guess.

I still say, if you wanna rock high pigtails, you'd better be Lady Gaga, Abby or under 20. JMHO.

squimp
08-04-2011, 04:51 PM

I'm with ya! I have a friend who looks fab in pigtails on the side of her head. I don't see it as trying too hard, I just see it as trying, which is good.

s7714
08-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Totally depends on the person's personal style--if they can carry them off more power to them. That said I do see some people on occasion that can't pull them off and look like they're trying to be 5 years old.

BillK
08-04-2011, 04:53 PM
If the mom in question is hot - then I give a BIG thumbs up for pigtails. :jammin::jammin:

justlearning
08-04-2011, 05:00 PM
If the mom in question is hot - then I give a BIG thumbs up for pigtails. :jammin::jammin:

I think this probably answers why I haven't felt comfortable trying to wear pigtails. All my friends who do wear them are hot and well, I'm not. :) So that may be the reason why I feel like they would look silly on me but that they look cute on them. I don't think it's a style issue as much as the hotness factor.

JBaxter
08-04-2011, 05:01 PM

and a bonus if she is in a short plaid skirt and white knee socks?

dogmom
08-04-2011, 05:01 PM

But I don't wanna look hot!!! (is there an emoticon for whining?)

Seriously, I closing in on 50, can't I stop worrying about this stuff? I'm not a movie start. My looks are not important to feeding my family. Why do I still have to work at looking hot? I'm not picking on you, just this feeling like I am still under pressure to look sexy. When can I stop? Whey I'm 55? 60? 70?

I remember when the news about the 60 yo woman would gave birth with hormone shots and some younger woman's egg came out. I was teaching at the time and all the nursing faculty woman of a certain age were like, "Are they EVER going let use rest? Seriously, can we stop this at some point?"

And forget that MILF stuff, I just think that's gross. Why would I want my son's teenage friends want to have sex with me? If I was a guy people would want to throw me in jail.

Back to the OP, yeah, I don't get ponytails or feather extensions or fake nails for that matter, but whatever, to each their own.

g-mama
08-04-2011, 05:04 PM

I also think you can't make a blanket statement about a certain look because people are so different and a small percentage can pull it off even if most can't. My SIL wears pigtails sometimes and on her, it looks great. She has a very artsy, free spirited look about her and, with her fashion choices, it works. It kinda has to be "a look," kwim?

bubbaray
08-04-2011, 05:09 PM
and a bonus if she is in a short plaid skirt and white knee socks?

Why am I having a Brittney Spears flashback? Yikes.

MamaSnoo
08-04-2011, 05:17 PM
I wore low piggies in my 20's. Not in my 30's. I do not think I was particularly hawt (sorry, Bill). It looked more hippy-silly on me.

Melanie
08-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Up high or down low? I think down low can be cute for a casual park or beach kind of day. Not really a "take me serious at the parent conference" look though. ;)

Up high? Well I can't really imagine it, so I'm going with I think it looks silly.

I always thought pigtails=braids and ponytails are ponytails regardless of the number. It took me a long time to figure out on here, that not everyone describes it that way!

kerridean
08-04-2011, 05:55 PM
I have seen it, especially at my gym. I think it looks very silly IMO. I would never do it. I am 38.