PDA

View Full Version : ISO of really, really inexpensive backpacks

lowrioh
08-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Our neighborhood parents' organization collects back to school supplies for needy kids who go to the local elementary school. There are a significant number of children who are homeless (which totally breaks my heart) so the list of needed supplies is pretty long.
One of the most expensive items are backpacks. If you see any stellar deals on backpacks, please post them here. They don't have to be anything special just good enough for an elementary school kid to use for the year.

Tondi G
08-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Just keep your eyes open at Target. we managed to snag one of those swiss army looking backpacks last year for my DS1 for around $7. It is a good sturdy backpack and normally costs closer to 30 bucks I think. you could look into wholesale backpacks

http://www.wholesale-backpacks.com/default.aspx

just_teachin
08-04-2011, 05:27 PM
I got my DD's kindergarten backpack at WalMart last summer for $3. FWIW, it wasn't with the school supplies-- it was near the socks and bras with beachy bags...

Another thought would be to scour the BTS sections in mid-Sept as it all goes on deep clearance and stow them away for next year. I've done that and donated them to the local schools.

daniele_ut
08-04-2011, 07:30 PM
The Embark backpacks were on sale at Target last week for $9. Not sure if they still are, but my kids carried them to preschool and pre-K and then K for 2 years and they still look fine.

KpbS
08-04-2011, 09:23 PM
The Embark backpacks were on sale at Target last week for $9. Not sure if they still are, but my kids carried them to preschool and pre-K and then K for 2 years and they still look fine.

This is probably your best deal--and of course if you can snag them when they go 50-75% for next year you will be set.

lexie's mom
08-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Five Below had tons of them.

Jen841
08-05-2011, 10:51 AM
We have 3 form 6 years ago that are still going strong I got on clearance for $.50 each! I am sure they don't have that price, but the quality has been great!

I would not go too cheap, these are people that can't replace something if it poor quality.

What about the draw string bags?

lowrioh
08-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll head over to Old Navy this afternoon.

I don't know about drawstring bags....the list specifically says backpacks (no wheels)....

karstmama
08-05-2011, 11:34 AM
the lands end ones were on great sale a month or so ago...maybe look there?

kboyle
08-05-2011, 11:39 AM
go to Five Below!

azmaple
08-06-2011, 02:27 PM
if you're near Fresh & Easy stores I picked up a dozen or more last year for $3 each to donate to a group in AZ. their regular price hadn't been much more so it might be worth stopping in if you're got one near you.

Canna
08-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Our Walgreens has some on sale this week, usually $9.99, now 2 for $9.99 - they looked pretty decent for the price! They were with the school supplies.