PDA

View Full Version : DD came home with a half dead goldfish

ShanaMama
08-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Help. This poor fish came home in a styro cup & was barely moving. To humor her I poured it into a fishbowl vase I have but the guy is dying by the minute. I told her as much & she is taking it ok. She said 'Oh, we'll have to bury it'. Nice try DD. I am not burying a goldfish. So... how to dispose?
She will ask her counselor for another one tomorrow & if that doesn't work out I'd gladly buy her one.
Any great tips about where dead fish go? I was pretty matter of fact about it & she isn't too broken up but I don't want to dispose of it without her consent. I can't imagine she'll be ok with flushing it down the toilet, which is my choice disposal...

mikeys_mom
08-04-2011, 04:32 PM
DS came home from camp last year with a half dead fish. We flushed it down the toilet. I told him that's how fish get back to the ocean. Fish are water animals and we don't bury them. He actually was ok with that.

lalasmama
08-04-2011, 05:09 PM
DS came home from camp last year with a half dead fish. We flushed it down the toilet. I told him that's how fish get back to the ocean. Fish are water animals and we don't bury them. He actually was ok with that.

:yeahthat: When our fish died, that's just about word-for-word what I told DD, and she was cool with it. She said a prayer for safe travels (LOL) and away went Riba...

SkyrMommy
08-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Yup, down the toilet bowl was always what happened to our various fish growing up. One of the funniest moments was my little sister yelling "It's still alive!!! As it floated around and around!!!" That only happened once though - she caught on quick :ROTFLMAO:

Melanie
08-04-2011, 05:22 PM
We always buried them.

rlu
08-04-2011, 05:46 PM
We recently lost one of our ginormous goldfish and it was too big to flush so it went out in the trash (in a plastic baggie for smell containment). We didn't explain to DS where that one went and he didn't ask. Previous, smaller, goldfish were flushed.

We don't bury as we are afraid the neighborhood cats will dig them up - do they?

How big does a goldfish get before you can call it koi? Pretty sure technically they are different breeds, but looks sure can be deceiving.

fattytuna
08-04-2011, 05:54 PM
I told him that's how fish get back to the ocean.

I like this approach. I was actually thinking about the clip where Nemo jumped into the toilet at the dentist's office trying to return to the sea.

I'm just curious, why don't you want to bury the fish? I'm genuinely curious, not in a judging way. I'm not a fish person myself. DD won a gold fish at our county fair two years ago. So now we have fish. At some point they will pass on. I always thought we'd bury them like we did with my cat of 13 years. (I know, so not the same - my cat was my "first child" who slept on my bed, under the covers.) I probably would indulge DD if she chooses to bury her fish. When we buried our cat last summer, DD led a simple prayer and I thought it was a nice way to say goodbye to a pet. But I admit I do not have the same attachment towards our fish.

AngelaS
08-04-2011, 06:26 PM
We flush them here. And a little poem, courtesy of Jack Prelutsky.

My fish was small, my fish was gold, but now my fish is still and cold.
My fish will no more splash and splash. My fish is dead. I flushed my fish.

ShanaMama
08-04-2011, 06:27 PM
I now have a very dead fish floating on my countertop. Thanks, all for the confirmation that I can flush it.
DD came inside but didn't see it. I told her that when it dies, we'll flush it 'cuz that's what you do with fish'. I'm not sure if she wants to participate in the flushing or not...

I like this approach. I was actually thinking about the clip where Nemo jumped into the toilet at the dentist's office trying to return to the sea.

I'm just curious, why don't you want to bury the fish? I'm genuinely curious, not in a judging way. I'm not a fish person myself. DD won a gold fish at our county fair two years ago. So now we have fish. At some point they will pass on. I always thought we'd bury them like we did with my cat of 13 years. (I know, so not the same - my cat was my "first child" who slept on my bed, under the covers.) I probably would indulge DD if she chooses to bury her fish. When we buried our cat last summer, DD led a simple prayer and I thought it was a nice way to say goodbye to a pet. But I admit I do not have the same attachment towards our fish.

The real reason is it's just way too gross for me to deal with. I can picture burying a beloved pet. You have an actual body to dispose & you need closure. She isn't all that attached to the fish & I just don't want to make a federal case out of it. I don't know if I'll be flamed for saying this but I just want this fish gone in the easiest way possible. I am not handling a little goldfish body. Nope.

tmahanes
08-04-2011, 06:29 PM
I made my parents bury the first one.... then I got over it and threw the rest away.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

SpaceGal
08-04-2011, 06:54 PM
We flush smaller fish. Earlier this week a bigger fish passed and we buried him out in the yard near the pond.

ShanaMama
08-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Well, fish is dead & DH took care of the flushing. DD is a bit sad but that's the circle of life. She's hoping to get another one tomorrow.