PDA

View Full Version : S/O Poll: Pigtails or Ponytails

Melanie
08-04-2011, 05:21 PM
What do you call them? Are pig tails braids only, or is it the # that makes them a pigtail (and how is that possible when in actuality, barring any genetic modification, a pig has ONE tail?).

Green_Tea
08-04-2011, 05:26 PM
pigtails = 2 unbraided ponytails, either up high or down low
ponytail = one in the back, unbraided. 2 ponytails = pigtails
braids = braids

(I grew up in the NE, FWIW)

Melanie
08-04-2011, 05:29 PM
LOL. Perhaps we'll need a follow up poll for region.
Pigtails=two braids, and I'm from S. California.

JBaxter
08-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Pigtails = 2 -- on on each side high or low
Pony tail = 1 -- in the back high or low
braid is a braid

liamsmom
08-04-2011, 05:32 PM
My guess is the term pig tails came about from the corkscrew twisting of the hair, kind of like Cindy Brady's. My little sister used to have pretty short hair but my mother would tie it up in "puppy dog tails," but now that I think about it, they resembled puppy dog ears, not tails.

rlu
08-04-2011, 05:42 PM
braid is a braid

I'm from the Bay Area (California's Bay Area, not be confused with the one back East somewhere)

bubbaray
08-04-2011, 05:47 PM
braid is a braid

:yeahthat:

Though I will admit that what comes to mind visually with pigtails is two HIGH pigtails, not low ones.

ha98ed14
08-04-2011, 05:47 PM
http://tapatalk.com/mu/4cad2f5b-1252-7364.jpg

http://tapatalk.com/mu/4cad2f5b-1275-b7b9.jpg

I use this hair style for DD a lot because it keeps her bangs under wraps. I put it in two pony tails and then braid them. In my vocabulary that is pigtails. Pigtails = 2 ponytails that have been braided. Two braids that just come off the head without being banded into a ponytail first are just called "two braids". Ponytail is one in the back, unbraided.

bubbaray
08-04-2011, 05:50 PM
I use this hair style for DD a lot because it keeps her bangs under wraps. I put it in two pony tails and then braid them. In my vocabulary that is pigtails. Pigtails = 2 ponytails that have been braided. Two braids that just come off the head without being banded into a ponytail first are just called "two braids". Ponytail is one in the back, unbraided.

Not to pick on you, but then what are two ponytails on either side of the head that are unbraided?

Cute pics, BTW.

ha98ed14
08-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Not to pick on you, but then what are two ponytails on either side of the head that are unbraided?

Cute pics, BTW.

Thanks!

I would say "two pony tails" if I was trying to describe it to someone. "See that girl with the two pony tails..." That's just how I learned it. But I think it is regional. Where I lived in late elementary years was in the Midwest. Every carbonated beverage was "pop". We had just moved from MD/DC, and I called it soda. Everyone thought I was weird for saying soda.

justlearning
08-04-2011, 05:59 PM
My definition isn't in your poll--to me, pigtails refers to two ponytails that are either braided or not. So I'm in agreement with this definition from wikipedia, which differentiates the singular use of pigtail to refer specifically to a braid versus the plural use of pigtails:

"Alternatively, the plural term pigtails may be applied to a pair of two braids or ponytails on opposite sides of the head."

Growing up, my mom put my hair into two ponytails all the time and she always called then "pigtails." I grew up in CA.

ThreeofUs
08-04-2011, 06:11 PM
I voted other.

For us, pig tails were small bunches of hair, like pigs' tails, usually two in number. Pony tails were longer hair in 1 or more bunches.

egoldber
08-04-2011, 07:47 PM
pigtails = 2 unbraided ponytails, either up high or down low
ponytail = one in the back, unbraided. 2 ponytails = pigtails
braids = braids

This is what I mean. If my DDs ask for braids, I ask one or two. :)

Cam&Clay
08-04-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm from the South:

pigtails=two braids on the sides of the head
ponytails=unbraided on the sides of the head
ponytail=one in the back or maybe on the side

Pigtails are always braided.

spunkybaby
08-04-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm from the South:

I grew up in California.

Puddy73
08-04-2011, 09:14 PM
braid is a braid

:yeahthat: I grew up in NE and live in SE now.

fivi2
08-04-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm from the South:

:yeahthat: also from the South. I will add, agreeing with a different pp, that pigtails are braided pony tails on the side, regular (non pony tail first) braids would just be braids or french braids, depending.