PDA

View Full Version : Ignore...I messed up my post

deborah_r
08-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Messed up, let me try again

(Sorry, I thought I could edit it fast enough before responses came in. This was my post:

Wasn't sure how to word it in the title, but where I live there are often people asking for money at the end of the freeway ramp, or on medians in high traffic areas, again usually right near the freeway. I occasionally give some change or a dollar, but usually just try not to make eye contact.

Now that DS1 reads pretty well, he will ask me why I didn't give any money. He told me the other day "The sign said anything would help. I could give him (some random object in the backseat that I can't remember). I explained when the sign said anything, it meant money, and told him for the millionth time I can't give money to everyone who asks for it.

I was just wondering what most people here do? )

But I forgot to check the box for the poll, so I started a new one with poll.

Octobermommy
08-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Never. I will give to private shelters and such but not to an individual.

JBaxter
08-04-2011, 06:17 PM
No but I have give food products ( sealed) a few times.

rin
08-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Nope, never.

I frequently give money to street musicians and performers, and I'll give money to people collecting for a cause, but I don't give money to people to just standing/sitting with a sign asking for money. (I will give food, though; if I've been to the grocery store I'll offer something from my grocery bag.)

I figure that I donate a fair amount of money to the homeless shelter here, and I'm not convinced that giving cash to someone with a sign is the best way to help.