PDA

View Full Version : help me diagnose this...

rachelh
08-04-2011, 08:02 PM
DD1 is complaining of a rash and itching in her vaginal area. She complains from time to time about it. Sometimes she can go for months without complaining but when she starts complaining it continues on and off for a few days. The area does not seem red or inflamed (but I really don't inspect her down there that I really know what it looks like when it is not bothering her so don't have much to compare it to.)

I've mentioned it to her pediatrician once and he told me not to wash her there with soap - only use warm water - but it kind of grosses me out not to wash her with soap. I am thinking it is a bigger issue than just the soap irritating it and drying it out.

Anyone have an idea of what it can be? Can 5 year olds get yeast infections?

Thanks!

KpbS
08-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Yes, it could be a rash caused by yeast. Does she have any food sensitivities or allergies? Those could also cause a rash. Other possibilities are staph or eczema. Can you take her to the ped or a ped dermatologist when she is experiencing her symptoms? Hope it goes away for good soon!

ETA I'd skip the soap for awhile and see if it clears up. Also do you use a free & clear detergent?

mackmama
08-04-2011, 08:20 PM
I would not wash the area with soap either. It can be irritating. It sounds like it could be yeast if the symptoms continue or increase. If it goes away then comes back later, I'd think it's a sensitivity to using soap when washing her or to your detergent when washing her underwear.

rachelh
08-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Yes, it could be a rash caused by yeast. Does she have any food sensitivities or allergies? Those could also cause a rash. Other possibilities are staph or eczema. Can you take her to the ped or a ped dermatologist when she is experiencing her symptoms? Hope it goes away for good soon!

No known allergies. I guess I will have to make an appt with her doctor tomorrow. Argh...I feel like I live there!

MSWR0319
08-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Has she been swimming or anything lately? I went to the doctor once for similar issues and she basically told me it was like a diaper rash, meaning the area was too moist. She told me to use a hair dryer for a minute or so to dry off down there after a bath or make sure I'm dry down there before putting underwear on. I never did use the dryer but just made sure to dry extra good down there. I get it once in awhile and I find that sleeping without underwear for a few nights helps dry things out down there and it goes away.

rachelh
08-04-2011, 08:29 PM
I would not wash the area with soap either. It can be irritating. It sounds like it could be yeast if the symptoms continue or increase. If it goes away then comes back later, I'd think it's a sensitivity to using soap when washing her or to your detergent when washing her underwear.

Really? No soap? Is that the general rule - no soap down there?

Hmmm very interesting about the detergent. I started using a new one this week! I will have to switch it again and see what happens.

rin
08-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I'd second the suggestion to try avoiding soap. My cousin's 4-year old daughter was getting UTIs for a while (and I guess the symptoms were basically itchiness and pain when peeing) and they finally figured out it was because of all the bubble baths she was taking. Apparently soap is really bad for sensitive girl parts!

tmahanes
08-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Try showers instead of baths.... my BFF can't take a bath or she gets a UTI but it fine with soap in the shower.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

wellyes
08-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Really? No soap? Is that the general rule - no soap down there?

I don't think so. Bubble baths cause a risk of UTIs, but washing with soap does not.A little soap helps a lot; being unclean (kids who don't wipe well, for example) can cause itchiness.

kbud
08-04-2011, 09:04 PM
My girls get this on and off. It's actually typical for little girls. I've taken both mine to the dr for it and he says it's normal. They don't wipe as well, touch themselves down there, etc and things get irritated. He did prescribe a cream for my 3 year old when she wouldn't stop itching it that helped a bunch. I sometimes just use some diaper rash cream too.

rachelh
08-04-2011, 09:07 PM
I don't think so. Bubble baths cause a risk of UTIs, but washing with soap does not.A little soap helps a lot; being unclean (kids who don't wipe well, for example) can cause itchiness.

Right - we don't do bubble baths for that reason! DD would never go for a shower so thats out of the question.

Someone once mentioned putting baking soda in the bath when she bathes. Anyone ever hear of this?

lalasmama
08-04-2011, 09:28 PM
I've worked in Pediatrics for ages now, and this type of irriation is VERY common--it looked bright pink or red (more angry than normal), sometimes hurts to pee (because the area is irritated), and often little girls try to "dig" at it because it itches. And, more times than not, it's caused by one of a few things: (1) bubble baths, (2) shampoo soap in the tub after hairwashing, or (3) washing sensitive girly parts with soap. DD gets it too :(

To avoid it (most of the time, at least), at our house, baths are ended with a rinsing shower, complete with a "toe touch, butt up in the air" to get the shower water to rinse that area. Also, as other PP have mentioned, sleeping without undies (or making sure the area is REALLY dry after a bath/shower) is one way to assure that it gets the air circulation it needs. We don't do the no-underwear thing for DD, but I know other parents that do.

erosenst
08-04-2011, 09:40 PM
One other thought...DD is very sensitive to anything but the softest of TP, because she (as most little girls) 'scrubs' rather than wipes. A thin coat of A&D before bed helps it to heal. She's now 7.5,and it hasn't happened in over a year...and I've been told most girls grow out of it when the repeated remindes to 'wipe...don't scrub' finally sink in.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

wendibird22
08-05-2011, 09:05 PM
My girls get this on and off. It's actually typical for little girls. I've taken both mine to the dr for it and he says it's normal. They don't wipe as well, touch themselves down there, etc and things get irritated. He did prescribe a cream for my 3 year old when she wouldn't stop itching it that helped a bunch. I sometimes just use some diaper rash cream too.

Same here. DD1 was itching last month. Dr said could be irritated from swimming/we suit, not wiping well, or sitting in the bath tub and irritated from shampoo, soap, etc in the bath water. Dr. said to use zinc oxide cream and not to let her sit in the bath water. Haven't had a problem since.

ETA: Upon close inspection her v-jay area was a bit pink but not red or rashy or yeasty. Dr said the pinkish was enough to be irritated.

MamaSnoo
08-05-2011, 10:08 PM
I like the Dove sensitive skin unscented bar soap to wash down there...for me and DD. It is not drying or irritating at all, and I do think that less than perfect hygeine can cause irritation too.

I am also a fan of the no undies overnight/air it out.