PDA

View Full Version : Toys that "do things" or entertain stunting learning?

amldaley
08-04-2011, 09:41 PM
I am sure this article will bring mixed responses. But I was was relieved to read it. Years and years ago, I nannied after school and during the summer for a family with a son with ADHD and the mama had shared some research with me about the flickering images from TV's and computers, (as well as some evidence about exposing kids to commercials based both on how short they are and the tone and flashing pace of them).

When it came time to have kids of my own, I have found mention of this phenomenon in parenting articles, but nothing as substantial as this.

When I was looking to get DD something for her recent birthday, I was surprised how many folks gave their small children their own iPod touches, etc. I was surprised b/c of the price and the risk of breaking such items, but also b/c I was looking for something educational for DD only and not entertaining. (This is not a value judgement on those who have given such devices to their LO's...to each their own and maybe you have found some great educatational games, etc).

Anyhow, I found this article to be interesting.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/fran-lasker/are-you-buying-toys-that-_b_916957.html?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk1%7C220967

wimama
08-04-2011, 10:08 PM
I agree, with the author on how kids need toys that let them play creatively.

I am guilty of letting my DS watch cartoons and TV fairly regularly now that he is 5 year old. But, he has very limited exposure to video games and we limit other electronic toys and toys that do too much for the kids. I read the book Simplicity Parenting and it was very interesting. You might enjoy the book. I tossed a bunch of DS toys based on this books recommendations and replaced them with more open ended toys. I posted a thread about it after Christmas time last year.

http://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-Parenting-Extraordinary-Calmer-Happier/dp/0345507983/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312509253&sr=8-1

maestramommy
08-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Weeeell, I'm sure there are parents here that agree with the writer. I happen to be one of them. Sort of. Sometimes:tongue5: I mean, we don't have devices per se, but my kids have enough electronic toys that flash lights and talk to them. They get obsessed with them in spurts, fight over them (but of course!) but invariably go back to playing with their dollhouse, or lego set that they use for the same type of play.

Just a few weeks ago I was reading a book on the South Beach diet by the doc who created it, and he thought a lot of ADHD behaviors was caused by dyes in food, and the overeating of highly processed food. So though kids are overeating, they are still malnourished. Who can really tell? It's probably a combo of many factors in excess, I think.

I think the main reason our kids don't have these devices is because they are $$$, and Dh and I don't want to spend that much on something that will take control of their behavior, even if it's in short spurts. Heck, we don't even spend that much on toys for ourselves. Just doesn't seem right to spend it on our kids, unless they really need it for some reason.

amldaley
08-04-2011, 10:23 PM
It's probably a combo of many factors in excess, I think. Excellent point. I think I would have to agree. It is too easy to pin it all on any on thing.

While this article is interesting, I do think a "bigger picture" view is almost always in order.

wimama
08-04-2011, 10:26 PM
I just wanted to add DS does have toys that talk and do things. We are not that extreme in our toy choices. I din't mean my previous post to sound that way.

But, most of the noisy toys are things like firetrucks with lights and sirens, space shuttle with sounds, talking Buzz, Woody & Zurg. Things that he can still play creatively with and not toys that entertain him per say. DS has an Explorer and DH has a Playstation. Both of those see limited playtime.

wellyes
08-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Two of my favorite parenting books address this topic:
Simplicity Parenting (hi winmama :waving4:)
The Last Child in the Woods

The more freedom a child has to build imaginary worlds, the better off. I really believe that. I have to restrain myself from getting great deals sometimes. DD doesn't need a talking zoo, she can draw one, or build one with magnatiles (obviously the zoo in this case is 99% imagination, her drawings and building are very simple, she's 3).

I let DD watch a little TV and play on the ipad sometimes. I don't think it's evil. Some of it is really cool. Her favorite ipad game is an extremely cute, interactive version of "The Monster at the End of This Book". But I definitely limit how much exposure she has.

The article talks about a 4 year old and an 8 year old who looked at screens and devices during an entire visit - that's just plain old RUDE. I'd be appalled if my child did that.

daisymommy
08-04-2011, 10:27 PM
In our home, especially when children are younger than age 6-7 and they start asking for a video game, we do not buy battery operated toys. No blinking lights, loud noises, spinning and whirling craziness. I do not want the toy to play *for* my children--I want them to use their imagination to do they playing and learning, creating and developing themselves. I aim for open-ended toys. Toys that can be used again and again to do many different things.

There are many reasons why we have a society where so many children have sensory disorders and limited attention spans. And electronic do-everything-for-you, in-your-face toys certainly aren't helping matters any.

Another vote for the book Simplicity Parenting!
And there are some excellent articles on play here: https://www.threesisterstoys.com/t-articles.aspx

Edited to add: Another book about electronic media and children.
Endangered Minds: Why Children Don't Think and What we Can Do About I (http://www.amazon.com/Endangered-Minds-Children-Think-About/dp/0684856204/ref=pd_sim_b_2)

niccig
08-04-2011, 11:16 PM
I didn't like toys that had flashing lights and lots of noises. It was too much stimulation for me, let alone DS. We did have some, anything that was too much, the batteries were taken out and never put back in again, or the toy was returned.

DS does watch TV and he's started some games on the computer. We have a wii, gift from ILs, but honestly we don't play it much.

DS was just with MIL and I do not allow DS to have a device when we eat dinner out. MIL didn't know this and allowed it. Her reasoning is that DS's cousin watched TV all day every day and she's very smart. She is, but as I pointed out to MIL not all children are the same. Our neighbours have one child that will easily turn off the screen and go outside and play. His brother is addicted to the screen. No harm was done to DS as he's 6 and knows that things are different when he's at MILs, and it's rare that he's there on his own. I find it rude for someone to be on a game at the dinner table. We have DS colour, do workbooks, and even had a pop up garage with matchbox cars. MIL argued it's the same as the game device, I disagree as the device is a solitary pursuit and these activities with DS are ones that we do with him at the restaurant or we talk to him.

Anyways, we do have some devices and flashing things, but they're limited as I just don't think to do them and DS at 6yo doesn't ask to do them either.

maestramommy
08-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Wanted to add that my only objection to noise making toys is that many of them are just too damn loud! We haven an FP learning phone, and we had to put it on the lower setting, AND piece of tape over the speaker because it was way too loud even a foot away from my ear. I could just imagine the damage it could do to my kid's hearing if she put it to her ear full blast. Why do these toys have to be so loud?

amldaley
08-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Wanted to add that my only objection to noise making toys is that many of them are just too damn loud! We haven an FP learning phone, and we had to put it on the lower setting, AND piece of tape over the speaker because it was way too loud even a foot away from my ear. I could just imagine the damage it could do to my kid's hearing if she put it to her ear full blast. Why do these toys have to be so loud?

TOTALLY AGREE. And FP seems to be one of the biggest offenders. Both our swing and the FP Singing Stage are painfully loud. We employed the same remedy you did.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
08-05-2011, 01:37 PM
We have on new exception. The FP Kid Tough MP3 With mic. Bumbee loves to sing and now she performs with it, so does mommy:bag. Otherwise besides her camera, nothing with batteries.

Mommy_Mea
08-05-2011, 02:03 PM
I have tried to limit the number of toys in the house that do things for DS1, any that we have are gifts. I try and encourage play with the more open ended toys, blocks, etc. But I still find DS1 lately pushing any sort of bump/circle on things saying "button?" because he expects it to do something. It makes me a little sad :(

And I totally agree on how LOUD things are. So unnecessary!

Gena
08-05-2011, 02:21 PM
We have always had a mix of toys: open ended simple toys,as well as variety of electronic toys. My son has favorites of each kind.

I don't agree with the author that toys are somehow responsible for ADHD (or other disorders) in kids. I believe that in most cases, children who are nuerologically different are that way from birth. I also think that children with certain nuerological profiles might be more drawn to electronic toys than other children usually are.

daisymommy
08-05-2011, 02:31 PM
I totally agree with you Gena that electronic toys do not *cause* ADHD. I do think that it can make symptoms much worse in kids who do already have a neurological condition, and it can cause some neuro-typical kids to display symptoms that make it *appear* that they have ADHD--but they really don't. They're just ampped up and sensory overloaded.

ADHD is a condition of the brain and body chemistry. If removing a certain toy from the child's environment cures them, then they didn't really have tru ADHD to begin with.