PDA

View Full Version : How much are you planning to spend this fall?

crl
08-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Just curious, how much are you planning to spend total on your wardrobe this fall?.

I am trying not to spend a ton. So far I have bought a cape and sweater at the Nordstrom's Anniversary sale for about $55 total, plus another $60 for a bra that was not on sale. I also have spent $80 on a pair of jeans. And I just placed an Athleta/ON order for two camis and two t-shirts for $60 total.

The only other thing I am planning to buy is a new handbag. I'd like to get a fairly nice one and have my eye on a grey leather satchel from Fossil. I think that will end up being around $150-200.

I imagine I will end up buying another couple of inexpensive t-shirts. I tend to grab a couple here and there (LE overstocks, ON, etc) as I come across them.

So I think my grand total will be $405-455. Somehow that total sounds like a lot to me for trying not to spend a ton. Sheesh.

Catherine

weech
08-05-2011, 11:05 AM
I've been thinking about this too. I'm several sizes smaller than I was last fall/winter, so I literally have no fall clothes other than a few pairs of dress pants, a few pairs of jeans and a couple cardigans.

I can't decide on whether I should try to get buy with a few quality items (BR, AT, etc) or buy more cheap stuff since I'm still not at my goal weight. I'm curious to see how much people spend to "refresh" their wardrobes -- that'll give me a good idea of how much I need to totally overhaul my own! (yikes...)

AnnieW625
08-05-2011, 11:35 AM
I am trying not to spend a whole lot of money. So far I have spent the following in the last month:
Boden sale: $138 (two dresses that can easily be worn in the fall, and two pleated trim tank tops that can also easily be worn this fall)
Nordstrom sale: $70 on the Clarks tie bootie shoes (which I still have to try on with the appropriate socks, so if they don't fit right they might go back)

I'd love to buy some more jeans and pants, but honestly I am trying my darndest to lose 20lbs and if that happens it puts me back in my pre pregnancy clothes so I might not have to buy much in that department.

If I do need to buy some stuff it will most likely be either sweaters, or shoes; I need new calf height boots. I do need to buy a new rain coat though. If I buy just the boots and the coat I could see myself spending about $300 (although it will probably be less), but if I add in some sweaters I'll most likely add another $200 to $300 to the budget and that would be only if I had to buy things at full price. I still have a $75 Talbots card I got from my Grandma for Christmas last year so I will most likely spend that (finally).

elektra
08-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Probably a lot! I have not bought much for myself in two years, beside my Frye boots splurge last fall.
I have lost a good bit of weight and I'm ready for a lot of new stuff. Black boots are first on my list.
Oh and I have already purchased two pairs of jeans.

BeachBum
08-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Let's just say I have a personal shopper appointment at Anthropologie coming up soon.

Melaine
08-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Very very little. I am still in transition for my weight and have some clothes that fit me better again now that I have lost some. If I lose another 10 lbs before fall is really over I will probably buy a few more items but I plan for this to be a lean season, clothing-wise.

brgnmom
08-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Currently, I have less clothes (that actually fit well) than what my DD has lined up in her closet (and she's almost 9-months old). Dh has been encouraging me to go out shopping for myself, but I've been delaying this until DS is in school in a week or two. I'm 40+ pounds lighter than last fall (when I was pregnant) and a couple of pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight. my pre-pregnancy clothes are baggy in the wrong places, so I'm probably going to need to spend more on clothes than usual.

goldenpig
08-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Currently, I have less clothes (that actually fit well) than what my DD has lined up in her closet (and she's almost 9-months old). Dh has been encouraging me to go out shopping for myself, but I've been delaying this until DS is in school in a week or two. I'm 40+ pounds lighter than last fall (when I was pregnant) and a couple of pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight. my pre-pregnancy clothes are baggy in the wrong places, so I'm probably going to need to spend more on clothes than usual.

Hey brgnmom, I'm in the same boat! Need a major wardrobe overhaul too. Why don't we go shopping together next time you're in the Bay Area! I could use some fashion advice!

ETA: I don't want to say how much I'm planning to spend this fall :bag but in my defense, I've been working my butt off the last couple months so I have extra cash to spend and also most of my (non-maternity) wardrobe is 5-10 years old or more, so I have some catching up to do!

MamaSnoo
08-05-2011, 10:37 PM
My wardrobe needs help right now, but I have dug in my heels on buying new stuff as I am TTC. I did buy a new bag from Fossil, on sale for about $80.

If I do get pregnant, I will need some new maternity stuff, as about half of what I had last time was borrowed/has been returned. I am also in a more professional role at work, and will need some better work clothes. So, I am saving for that at this point. I'll budget about $500 to revamp my maternity wardrobe if I get a BFP----otherwise, I am going to be looking really dowdy.

kozachka
08-06-2011, 01:35 AM
I am impressed that you ladies have a budget. Maybe I need one, too. I tend to buy things as I find them on a great sale or as I need to. I probably won't spend more than 1-2 weeks of my after-tax pay, although it might change if I decide to finally take up skiing as I've been threatening to do for the last year or two. So far I bought a jacket and a dress for fall (which was covered by a GC), neither of which I truly need but they only set me back 50% of a a weekly aftertax pay. Plus a Splendid tshirt from Amazon sale, but that was really cheap so I don't count it. And if I lose 3-5 lbs more, I'd be able to wear more of my old things, so no need to shop.

If it were me, I'd rather buy few quality items that I love then a bunch of cheapo stuff that does not look great. If you can find a compromise, more power to you. I don't mind wearing the same thing over and over again, and would not wear something that looks so-so, guess it depends on your approach to clothes.

gatorsmom
08-06-2011, 01:42 AM
Very little. I bought a ton of sweaters last spring when they went on sale and got some great, new water-proof winter booties for half-off this summer. I'm totaly psyched because they are a great brand (Aquatalia) and are darling!

I plan to start exercising heavily this fall and counting calories (as soon as my dad's darn house is cleaned out), so I don't plan on buying much this fall.

crl
08-06-2011, 02:12 AM
As far as quality vs quantity I have a somewhat mixed approach. For things like shoes, quality really matters to me. And I tend to buy quality for jackets as well. (Although my definition of quality is definitely different from some, I just don't have the money for the really spendy brands).

But for things like t-shirts, I'm good with it looks cute for now, because chances are between my messy cooking style and toddlers around, it's going to get stained sooner rather than later. And sometimes I buy inexpensive things that are trendy, like my cape from the Nordstrom Anniversary sale. I think it is fun to have a few trendy pieces, but don't want to invest much money in them.

Right now, I have most of the stuff I would invest more in already (black wool trousers, brown wool pants suit, good shoes, good jackets) so most of my stuff this fall is cheaper items. The handbag is the exception, although again it is all relative because I think $150ish is a big investment and I know some people would think of that as a cheapy handbag.

Catherine

brgnmom
08-06-2011, 04:24 AM
Hey brgnmom, I'm in the same boat! Need a major wardrobe overhaul too. Why don't we go shopping together next time you're in the Bay Area! I could use some fashion advice!

ETA: I don't want to say how much I'm planning to spend this fall :bag but in my defense, I've been working my butt off the last couple months so I have extra cash to spend and also most of my (non-maternity) wardrobe is 5-10 years old or more, so I have some catching up to do!

Sounds great! ;) That would be really fun. I wish I could schedule a trip before the school year starts, but DS is already having his orientation to his class next week & he starts full-time the following Monday.

I have no idea what I'll be spending, but I'll be looking for good quality items at hopefully reasonable/marked-down prices. GP, most of my non-maternity clothing are also several years old and they just fit differently than before. Dh is not a shopper, but he has been insisting that I go w/ him or at least purchase some pieces that fit better asap. It's been easier shopping for my DC though. I'll keep you posted when we schedule our next visit.

hillview
08-06-2011, 06:36 AM
Not much -- since I recently made some big purchases at nordstroms.

crl
08-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Not much -- since I recently made some big purchases at nordstroms.

I'm counting my Nordstrom purchases. :)

Catherine

goldenpig
08-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Sounds great! ;) That would be really fun. I wish I could schedule a trip before the school year starts, but DS is already having his orientation to his class next week & he starts full-time the following Monday.

I have no idea what I'll be spending, but I'll be looking for good quality items at hopefully reasonable/marked-down prices. GP, most of my non-maternity clothing are also several years old and they just fit differently than before. Dh is not a shopper, but he has been insisting that I go w/ him or at least purchase some pieces that fit better asap. It's been easier shopping for my DC though. I'll keep you posted when we schedule our next visit.

Brgnmom, wouldn't it be so awesome if we could meet halfway at the Gilroy outlets and spend the day shopping there? :love2: I've never been there but it looks like they have so many nice outlet stores. I don't know when I have ever had a whole day of shopping to myself though, so that may just be a pipe dream.

I hear you on the things not fitting anymore. My dilemma is do I keep all the Ann Taylor sweaters and twinsets that are too short for me (because of boobs/tummy size) in case they ever fit in the future? When I bought them, they match the skirts I have exactly (specific shade of blue, purple etc) so if I get rid of them, I don't have anything to match the skirts. But when I wear them, I'm constantly tugging them down trying to keep them over my middle.

niccig
08-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Not much. I'm on a mission to lose weight and I hate to buy things that won't fit. I've got enough to get me through, and some pants in smaller size. I'm fine with shoes as well.

One advantage of being back in school with undergrads, is that I can wear jeans, boots, t-shirt, sweater and be fine.

We're going skiing over Christmas and I need to get a pair of ski pants. Already picked up a jacket. Need a warmer set of thermals and that will be it. So this will be my purchases.

ahrimie
08-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Eeks, that doesn't sound like a lot to me.. but by "Fall" do you only mean 2-3 months worth of clothes or clothes that will last through the winter too?

I don't buy per season. Rather, I just buy what I feel like I need: sweater, shirts, jeans, etc. I layer a lot too so I buy mostly thin pieces I can wear together. I like button downs with cardigans so I buy a ton of those. You can swear them all year long by itself and in the winter, I wear them together.

kozachka
08-07-2011, 01:01 AM
Eeks, that doesn't sound like a lot to me..

I am glad I am not the only one that feels that way, that was the reason why I did not say how much I will most likely spend in absolutely terms. I think it really depends on ones income, age, location and lifestyle. I bought almost nothing when DS was little and I was a SAHM. I can't get away with it now that I am back in a professional environment. Plus I feel there should be a reward for working hard and not travelling to exciting places. And since I live in the Silicon Valley my fall wardrobe is also my winter and spring wardrobe as well so I am willing to spend more as I'd get more wear out of it.

ahrimie
08-07-2011, 01:13 AM
I hear you on the things not fitting anymore. My dilemma is do I keep all the Ann Taylor sweaters and twinsets that are too short for me (because of boobs/tummy size) in case they ever fit in the future? When I bought them, they match the skirts I have exactly (specific shade of blue, purple etc) so if I get rid of them, I don't have anything to match the skirts. But when I wear them, I'm constantly tugging them down trying to keep them over my middle.

If you haven't been able to wear them for more than 2 seasons, I would get rid of them. When you do lose the weight, I would reward yourself with new clothes. Plus, you might have a different style or trend you're following by that point. Going in and out of pregnancy though, I only keep quality items or plain basics that I know I can wear again if I've passed the "2 seasons" rule of mine. If it was trendy or doesn't suit my style anymore, I donate it.

goldenpig
08-07-2011, 01:27 AM
If you haven't been able to wear them for more than 2 seasons, I would get rid of them. When you do lose the weight, I would reward yourself with new clothes. Plus, you might have a different style or trend you're following by that point. Going in and out of pregnancy though, I only keep quality items or plain basics that I know I can wear again if I've passed the "2 seasons" rule of mine. If it was trendy or doesn't suit my style anymore, I donate it.

The weird thing is, I have lost all the weight, but my belly and boobs seem to be larger now. And I have been wearing the tops, just not as often and they're just kind of annoying because I'm always worried about coverage issues. I just bought a pair of Spanx, maybe I'll see if that makes a difference. I am hoping to get out of the twinset plus skirt/trousers rut though, so I have been starting to get some new pieces and hopefully I can phase those out soon because they are kind of boring. I would like to be a little edgier/up-to-date fashion-wise but still professional-looking. Any tips?

kozachka
08-07-2011, 02:58 AM
The weird thing is, I have lost all the weight, but my belly and boobs seem to be larger now. And I have been wearing the tops, just not as often and they're just kind of annoying because I'm always worried about coverage issues. I just bought a pair of Spanx, maybe I'll see if that makes a difference. I am hoping to get out of the twinset plus skirt/trousers rut though, so I have been starting to get some new pieces and hopefully I can phase those out soon because they are kind of boring. I would like to be a little edgier/up-to-date fashion-wise but still professional-looking. Any tips?

Let me prephase this by saying you that I don't really know you goldenpig, but from what I've seen you post here, I thin you have a good fashion sense and are up-to-date and would have never thought of you as a twinset kind of gal. Maybe it's because I've never thought of twinsets as being up-to-date. I've never had one. It's kind of a uniform, and I've had mine in suits, it is easy and secure, but you can do better. I honestly believe that.

I can't give you any real tips without knowing your lifestyle, body type and budget, other than to say trust your gut and push your comfort limits. You already know what works, you give great adivice to others. Just go for it for yourself.

ZeeBaby
08-07-2011, 08:30 AM
No fall shopping for me. I brought a few things last spring that I haven't worn yet so I will have a few new pieces. I am trying to lose about 20 lbs for a vacation in February. If th happens I will need to go shopping then.

crl
08-07-2011, 10:00 AM
I am glad I am not the only one that feels that way, that was the reason why I did not say how much I will most likely spend in absolutely terms. I think it really depends on ones income, age, location and lifestyle. I bought almost nothing when DS was little and I was a SAHM. I can't get away with it now that I am back in a professional environment. Plus I feel there should be a reward for working hard and not travelling to exciting places. And since I live in the Silicon Valley my fall wardrobe is also my winter and spring wardrobe as well so I am willing to spend more as I'd get more wear out of it.

I think that working outside the home almost necessitates spending considerably more money on clothes, both because you essentially need two wardrobes and because work clothes tend to be more expensive than casual clothes.

I guess for me if I think of it as $450 for Fall and then the same for each season that works out to $1800 per year. And that number doesn't sound outrageous to me, but it also doesn't sound frugal. And since I am trying not to spend a lot. . . . .

I just thought it would be interesting to see what others are planning to spend. Maybe $450 for one season IS being frugal?

Catherine

DrSally
08-07-2011, 10:44 AM
I don't have a budget. I tend to buy on deep sale if I feel like I need it (or really like the style).
I have a feeling I won't be needing much, since it's been over a year since I lost 40 lbs and I'm the same now as I was last year. I spent a lot last year getting clothes that fit and are current. I bought a lot EOS, so I definitely have stuff to wear. If I were working,that would be another story, as I don't have a lot of dress pants. I really like the BR ones (nice fabric and fit). I guess I would like to get a pair of brown suede boots (not furry) to wear w/jeans. Oh, and I still need a casual winter coat (down).

kozachka
08-07-2011, 08:09 PM
I guess for me if I think of it as $450 for Fall and then the same for each season that works out to $1800 per year. And that number doesn't sound outrageous to me, but it also doesn't sound frugal. And since I am trying not to spend a lot. . . . .

I just thought it would be interesting to see what others are planning to spend. Maybe $450 for one season IS being frugal?

It does not sound too frugal or too outrageous if this amount does not include work clothes. Whether it's frugal or not would in my mind also depend on how many piece you plan to buy and if you need outerwear and/or boots.

If you need an entire new fall wardrobe then it's not too much as you'd need least at 5-7 tops and bottoms. I tend to spend $20-$30 per casual top, so $100-$210 for tops, and $30-$50 (or more) per bottom, so another $150-$350, or a total of $350-$560. If you were to average this amount it'd be $455, so almost exactly your budget :). I don't mind spending quite a bit on the outerwear and shoes/boots, as I get a lot of wear out of them, so if you need to buy those as well then squeezing one of those in your budget sounds possible but not both.

If you only need a few pieces to refresh your casual wardrobe then your budget is fairly generous IMHO. And if you plan to spend the same amount per each season, then even more so. I spent very little on my casual summer wardrobe - several s/s t-shirts (all bought on deep sale), ON skirt, sandals and my most expensive purchase a new Trina Turk bikini (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/trina-turk-french-riviera-triangle-top/3153822)bought during the recent the Nordstrom's anniversary sale, which I might still return. You might need need more casual items if you don't work and spend more time at home. So I feel like I can spend more on fall/winter/spring since I wear these items for longer and in the office.

hillview
08-07-2011, 08:20 PM
I think that working outside the home almost necessitates spending considerably more money on clothes, both because you essentially need two wardrobes and because work clothes tend to be more expensive than casual clothes.

Catherine

Well ... so .... I spend a lot more than 1800 a year on clothes however I am in a job where I have to look fantastic and in different clothes several times a year for a week at a time (like 5 major week long events every year).

I don't focus so much on seasons as on the events I need to deal with and what I have to wear at that time. Add to that the weight loss and I have some things to get over the next 3 seasons.
/hillary

ahrimie
08-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Let me prephase this by saying you that I don't really know you goldenpig, but from what I've seen you post here, I thin you have a good fashion sense and are up-to-date and would have never thought of you as a twinset kind of gal.
I can't give you any real tips without knowing your lifestyle, body type and budget, other than to say trust your gut and push your comfort limits. You already know what works, you give great adivice to others. Just go for it for yourself.

I agree here, goldenpig!! In the other thread with pictures, you're giving great advice to others!

For me, my style is a lot like JCrew but I don't buy everything from there. I like looking through catalogs or online for different kinds of looks too. I don't do many accessories besides the jewelry DH bought (had he never bought me any, I probably wouldn't wear any)--just my rings, watch, and earrings. I think knowing what kinds of items look good on your body type are really key too. IMO, twinsets and round collared cardis make most people look wider. I prefer v-neck cardis and ones that hit at least my hip or below--those are most lengthening and slimming. I hate pulling down shirts too so I always get something that hits at least my hips.

A lot of places are doing ruffled tanks/shirts with cardis. I think those are really cute/fresh and you can find a variety of cuts and designs that flatter anyone's body. Just my 2 cents :)

brgnmom
08-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Brgnmom, wouldn't it be so awesome if we could meet halfway at the Gilroy outlets and spend the day shopping there? :love2: I've never been there but it looks like they have so many nice outlet stores. I don't know when I have ever had a whole day of shopping to myself though, so that may just be a pipe dream.

I haven't had a shopping day to myself yet either - maybe when the kids are a little older. I've heard of a reputable place in the bay area that provides drop-off hourly childcare for errands (I can email you that info later on). It's near Valley Fair and Santana Row - two other fun places to shop. They have ATL stores that are within walking distance from each other!

I'd love to meet up and go shopping - from your pictures & already meeting you IRL, I know that you don't need any fashion advice b/c you already have a great sense of style. I can relate to needing new sizes in clothing & how things fit differently after losing the pregnancy weight.

bisous
08-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Well, I don't want to drop your average down...but I've probably spent $500 in the past five YEARS. My kids and my DH both have much nicer wardrobes than I do! That's where I tend to put the priority.

That said, I am a SAHM and I don't really NEED to look nice and I agree completely that working gals need to spend much, much more!

I'd really like to get myself some new t-shirts and a pair of black heels. And I'm not sure I can afford them or not. I'm having a baby in September and have worn (stretched out) most of my "normal" clothes. But I think most people give new moms a bit of a pass and that's what I'm counting on!

I plan on posting soon to see what kinds of heels I should buy since you guys have good fashion/budget sense!

Style wise, I'm a 35 year old mama that probably needs to "grow up" a little in her fashion sense. I still live in a good cut of jeans, a form fitting esque type t-shirt, flip flops and a hoodie!

kozachka
08-09-2011, 01:46 AM
I haven't had a shopping day to myself yet either - maybe when the kids are a little older. I've heard of a reputable place in the bay area that provides drop-off hourly childcare for errands (I can email you that info later on). It's near Valley Fair and Santana Row - two other fun places to shop. They have ATL stores that are within walking distance from each other!

I can second that it's a good childcare place. I discovered it on advice from this board, maybe even brgnmom, and have used it several time. Thanks to whoever recommended it. I have not done much shopping while leaving DS there but have done lunches with GFs, when DH was out of town for weeks at a time, which did wonders for my outlook on life. Highly recommend this place. Don't forget to print out a coupon from their site for $$ off registration.

lizzywednesday
08-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Ugh, I have no idea.

I really wish I could figure it out because I need clothes desperately.

I love these Boden dresses:

http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Dresses/Knee-Length-Dresses/WH281-DAQ/Womens-Mallard-Patchwork-Double-Layer-Knot-Dress.html (In the blue print shown; I have one from last year and like it fairly well, though DH doesn't. Maybe I should get the solid black instead?)

http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Dresses/Knee-Length-Dresses/WH277-NAV/Womens-Navy-Giant-Paisley-Perfect-Jersey-Dress.html (In either the Navy Giant Paisley shown or the Brown Giant Paisley option; I don't like the "crochet" print at all.)

http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Dresses/Knee-Length-Dresses/WH279-PLM/Womens-Plum-Flower-Stem-Jersey-Wrap-Dress.html (In the Plum Flower Stem print shown; I'd considered the Fern print, but worried that the green is too close to lime.)

http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Dresses/Knee-Length-Dresses/WH287-BGN/Womens-Leaf-Pleated-Hem-Knit-Dress.html (Though I don't know that this is a good option; I have 45" hips at last measure and it looks like it's cut fairly trim ... also it's wool and I sometimes react poorly to wool. But I love the color so!)

This dress from Lands End looks OK, but I don't know if I should get it as the last dress I bought from LE is fairly ill-fitting, but it's also a different style altogether:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/34sleeveFluidPonteFullSkirtDress~225762_59.html?bc c=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::HFP&CM_MERCH=IDX_Women-_-DressesSkirts&origin=index (I think that I like the "Harvest Pine" color.)

I would like to find a long full slip to wear with wrap dresses and to add a bit more coverage for v-necks should I purchase the Boden dresses, but I can't seem to find those anymore in stores. (Am I being too old-fashioned about that?)

I also need basics - tees, cardigans, jeans, maybe slacks & skirts ...

I really like these cardigans from Boden:

http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Knitwear/Cardigans/WK661-DGY/Womens-Charcoal-Melange-Sleek-Wrap-Cardigan.html?NavGroupID=6

http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Knitwear/Cardigans/WL615-PEW/Womens-Pewter-Velvet-Trim-Jersey-Cardigan.html?NavGroupID=6

If I get more dresses, I will need to purchase more tights, so I will try to find HUE brand since you ladies loved them so much last season. (They are sold at Macy's, right?)

I also need shoes. I wear a 9.5W, don't mind a heel, but have "cankles," so off-the-rack boots are out of the question (see my post here: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3220088&postcount=15) ... and, sadly, since having DD I can't buy a 10M and squish anymore and will be relieving myself of the two pair of Bandolino pumps, tobacco colored cowboy boots, silver strappy sandals and, I think, black peeptoe pumps that I have in my closet any day now.

brgnmom
08-09-2011, 03:02 PM
I can second that it's a good childcare place. I discovered it on advice from this board, maybe even brgnmom, and have used it several time. Thanks to whoever recommended it. I have not done much shopping while leaving DS there but have done lunches with GFs, when DH was out of town for weeks at a time, which did wonders for my outlook on life. Highly recommend this place. Don't forget to print out a coupon from their site for $$ off registration.

Yes, I think we're speaking of the same place. :)

DrSally
08-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Liz, I totally know the feeling of having to get rid of nice footwear b/c of post-preg foot spread. I've been slowly rebuilding my shoe wardrobe. Have you tried Fitzwell boots--they come in W and WW. I got 2 pair when they went on sale at 6pm for $19.99 a piece. The other option would be to try a pair of slouchy, suede boots.

lizzywednesday
08-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Liz, I totally know the feeling of having to get rid of nice footwear b/c of post-preg foot spread. I've been slowly rebuilding my shoe wardrobe. Have you tried Fitzwell boots--they come in W and WW. I got 2 pair when they went on sale at 6pm for $19.99 a piece. The other option would be to try a pair of slouchy, suede boots.

The thing is, I've always been a wide shoe, but I could squish into a medium width in the right cut a half-size up. Now ... not a snowball's chance in Heck is that gonna happen!

I have 19" calves and the reviews on Zappos are not kind to Fitzwell boots and calves like mine ... I call them "soccer players' calves."

I think that slouchy boots would just make my legs look heavier because my entire leg is heavy - thigh, knee & calves - so adding volume on top of volume kind of scares me.

goldenpig
08-10-2011, 10:45 AM
The thing is, I've always been a wide shoe, but I could squish into a medium width in the right cut a half-size up. Now ... not a snowball's chance in Heck is that gonna happen!

I have 19" calves and the reviews on Zappos are not kind to Fitzwell boots and calves like mine ... I call them "soccer players' calves."

I think that slouchy boots would just make my legs look heavier because my entire leg is heavy - thigh, knee & calves - so adding volume on top of volume kind of scares me.

Zappos lets you search by calf width and size.
What about these--these are available in 9.5:
RSVP Celebrity Extra Wide (http://www.zappos.com/rsvp-celebrity-extra-wide-calf-black)
http://a1.zassets.com/images/z/1/0/2/1020111-p-DETAILED.jpg

Harley Davidson Tobbi (http://www.zappos.com/harley-davidson-tobbi-black)
http://a1.zassets.com/images/z/1/3/8/1382309-p-DETAILED.jpg

lizzywednesday
08-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Zappos lets you search by calf width and size.
What about these--these are available in 9.5:
RSVP Celebrity Extra Wide (http://www.zappos.com/rsvp-celebrity-extra-wide-calf-black)
http://a1.zassets.com/images/z/1/0/2/1020111-p-DETAILED.jpg

Harley Davidson Tobbi (http://www.zappos.com/harley-davidson-tobbi-black)
http://a1.zassets.com/images/z/1/3/8/1382309-p-DETAILED.jpg

That must be a new feature, as I can't recall having done so in the past; thanks!

I'll need to search by calf width and foot width - there's no way I can squeeze into a Medium!

DrSally
08-10-2011, 07:58 PM

Darn, that's what I do (size up 1/2 size). My calves are just a little too big for most regular boots, but fit the Fitzwell's fine. It's so hard to find that perfect fit--not too tight, but not too loose. I agree that slouchy boots can make ankles/calves look bigger, they are comfy though.