PDA

View Full Version : Please help decide! Playset WWYD

siri
08-05-2011, 10:57 AM
So ladies, I would love some opinions on the following decision I have to make.

I want to buy a outdoor playset for DS and here are my options:

1. A 5yo used Rainbow fiesta club house with sidekick from a seller on CL. It is in great condition, but needs to be power-washed and restained. Org is $1700. They are selling for $550. I have a mover who will dismantle, move, and re-install the playset for $400. So the total for everything would probably be $1150 (playset, movers, and stain)
http://www.rainbowplay.com/index.php/swing-sets/package/26d-fiesta-clubhouse-package-ii11/
(The one they are selling is similar, but the one CL is selling has an extra sidekick next to the fort with a sand box underneath.)

2. Fairfield Playset by Yardline Play Systems from Costco. $1,199.99 after $600 OFF. Includes Installation
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11652285&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|50126|4060|4062&N=4047212&Mo=18&pos=0&No=13&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4062&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC11007-Cat4060&topnav=

3. The Five Star Playset By Gorilla Playsets from Costco. $1,299.99 and probably another $200 to install.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11624195&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|50126|4060|4062&N=4047212&Mo=18&pos=0&No=10&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4062&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC11007-Cat4060&topnav=

I would love all and any advise, please.
Thanks so much!!!

drako
08-05-2011, 11:16 AM
We just ordered this playset from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100646051/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

We found a coupon code online and used it at checkout. It was for $200 off. We didn't want to spend that much but after talking to friends and relatives they suggested spending a little more on a playset since it is something the kids will have for a long time. If you look at it as an investment over the next ten years it really is only a few dollars a month. Obviously, it is one up front investment but something that will be enjoyed for many years. One swingset installer we spoke to recommended gorilla playsets over others that we were looking into. We looked at the Costco Gorilla set you listed but it is really small. Look on Home Depot's site or even Walmart since I think they have a better selection of Gorilla sets.

We also were going to hire a swingset installer but after reading all the reviews on the Gorilla sets, my husband is going to do it himself. It sounds like everything is well marked and easier to put together than some of the other sets out there.

Good luck!

siri
08-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the reply!
The playset you are going to buy looks great, but it is probably too big for my current yard. Right now I am staying with my parents and I will purchase a bigger playset when I purchase my own home. I will keep the current playset at my parents so their other grandkids could also enjoy it.

I think I would like to stay in the $1000-$1500 range. I was wondering if the quality of Rainbow is that much better, that it is worth a 5yo used model vs a new Yardline or Gorillea from Costco. The price is only a few hundred dollars apart if you include cost of moving and I would be getting a brand new playset.

drako
08-05-2011, 11:31 AM
I think I would go with a brand new playset. I don't know anything about rainbow sets. Hopefully, others would chime in. If you buy brand new you will have the warranty which you probably won't from the rainbow since it will have changed hands from the original owner. I love the look of the gorilla set - the cottage playhouse is adorable. The installation included in the yardline is a nice too. Sorry, I don't seem to be much help! I don't think you could go wrong with either two sets.

Jo..
08-05-2011, 11:35 AM
#1 is too expensive for a set that old. I really love #3, but vote #2 because it's the best bargain.

We got a Sam's club playset 3.5 years ago, stained it once, and are still thrilled with it.

siri
08-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Does anyone have the Yardline set from Costco? I have not been able to find any reviews.

Any Rainbow users who absolutely love their sets and want to convince me that it is worth it even if it is 5yo old?

Thanks!!!!

chozen
08-05-2011, 04:15 PM
i like #3 the best, we bought a rainbow set from sams 2yrs. ago for $1200.0 and it is larger then #1.

lhafer
08-06-2011, 12:42 PM
I have a gorilla set and we all LoVE it! We hired someone to put it together, but DH could have done it himself if he had the time.

Rainbows quality has gone down in quality in the past few years, but their prices haven't. They changes their wood product and it doesn't holdup as well as older sets.

I highly highly suggest gorilla. It's relatively easy to put together, they are all cedar and pre stained. Low maintenance and extremely sturdy.