PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to give Diana Gabaldon another go??

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
08-05-2011, 11:46 AM
I am in the middle of the Game of Thrones books and want to break for something else as I will be so sad when these are through. I tried the first Gabaldon book twice but could not make it past page 50 or so. I know Gabaldon is highly love here, did I not give her enough of a chance??

kboyle
08-05-2011, 11:55 AM
i tried her several times too and could NOT get into the first book...i could barely get past the first chapter!

robinsmommy
08-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Where is it written that one has to read all the books of a series in order? If I remember right, that first one was the most heavy on politics/history - try again with the 2nd or 3rd, and then if you've enjoyed them, go back and "fill-in" the gaps of things you missed. They aren't quite like Game of Thrones, where you truly need to read the books to really enjoy/understand the story.

And if you can't get into it after 20% or so of the book, then leave it - life is too short to waste on a book you don't enjoy, esp that thick of a tome!

wellyes
08-05-2011, 12:30 PM
George RR Martin is a much more skillful writer than her IMO. For a change of pace I'd maybe try some funny non fiction, like Bill Bryson.

AbbysMom
08-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Well I thought her first was faster moving than her subsequent books so if you couldn't get into the first one... I actually really like them but I feel like she might give too much detail. you do feel like you are really living the life of her characters because she tells you every detail of their days. sometimes too much.