PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Party invite issue...new territory, need advice

HIU8
08-05-2011, 01:58 PM
DS's bday is in November. We are attempting to figure out what type of party to give DS. Last year there were 7 kids in his class and his ONE cousin and ONE outside friend were invited. Since there were only 7 kids we felt like they all needed to be invited.

This year there will again be 7 kids in his class (new school and different kids). However, DS will also start Hebrew School, and he has already met several of the kids who will be in the program with him. If we invited ALL the kids in DS's class and ALL the kids in DS's Hebrew School class, plus his cousin and good friend the party could get up to 20+ kids. Normally, not an issue. However, since DS's bday is in the fall I can't do a party for that many kids at home indoors (simply not enough room). We have to pick another venue. Venues with 20 kids can run you upwards of $500 here and that is not an option for us right now. I'm wondering if it would be OK for DS to invite a few kids from school, a few kids from Hebrew school plus his cousin and good outside friend to end up with 10-12 kids? Part of me would prefer this. The other part of me would be offended if my kid (from such a small school class) was not invited (I would not feel this way if the class were over 20 kids). Another option is to invite his entire school class and just a couple of kids from Hebrew School that he has become friendly with.

WWYD?

jse107
08-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Is there a particular theme/idea you want to go with?

Truthfully, I wouldn't feel bad keeping the number to 10-12. It's reasonable to limit things and if you don't want to do 20+, no one should judge that.

I will say, for a large group, (cringe) Chuck E. Cheese is pretty reasonably priced. We did DS's party there last year and the kids had a great time. I don't know what the Rockville location is like, but the one in Gaithersburg really wasn't that bad.

HIU8
08-05-2011, 02:10 PM
We just went to a chuck e cheese party. It was horrible. Loud, no kids interacted at all, and there were about 6 bday parties going on at once so it was extremely crowded. We went to the Rockville location.

DS asked for laser tag or the mad science party program. Mad Science we can have more kids but not sure on the kid # for laser tag. He also asked for a party at Regal. I would have to limit the kid # on that and I would have to pay for several adults to help chaperone.

jse107
08-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience at CEC. I think we lucked out because when DS had his party it was the only one there and was relatively quiet. It wasn't my favorite location, but DS really wanted it.

Shadowland is right by my house. DS went to an after-school activity there and LOVED it. He asked to do that for his b-day party before he got totally into Harry Potter and I got sucked in to doing a party at our house....

FWIW, DS turns 7 next week and I'm having his party in Sept. with 10-15 kids. It obviously won't be his whole class and I'm okay with that. No way do I want that many 5-7 year olds over at our house. I'm already having heart palpatations about 10-12!

HIU8
08-05-2011, 04:03 PM
yeah, there is just no room at my house for that many kids (mostly boys also). I know they would ransack it pretty quickly.

I'm going to look into shadowland and regal.

Do you think 4 is to young for shadowland? DD is 4 and would be at the party as well (unless I set up a playdate for her--but then she would miss DS's party).

maydaymommy
08-05-2011, 09:05 PM
I would do the whole class, cousin, friend, and just a few kids from Hebrew school.