PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get photos printed?

bisous
08-05-2011, 04:33 PM
FIL just took some family pics that we really like. I'd like to get some blown up (not huge--8X10) and I sent an order to Costco. The color turned out really terrible! I returned them. I'm bummed because the price was super reasonable. Where do you get your photos done? Does it matter if DH tweaked them in photoshop? He's a bit of a photoshop master and he does printwork for a living. We've always used his super high end printer but it just broke and will cost A LOT to fix. We just want some decent prints (maybe 4??) to hang up on the wall.

TIA!

BayGirl2
08-05-2011, 05:04 PM
If you are using photoshop make sure that you select that Costco not adjust color when you place your order. There's a check box where you can select that. Also check which color profiles they are using - AdobeRGB vs. sRGB and set the color in photoshop to match so you aren't switching back and forth. If your monitor is not color calibrated that can also make what you see on the screen look very different from what prints.

The above applies to any photo printer. Since it sounds like your DH know what he's doing in terms of color, its possible his computer is set up to work for his printer but not for Costco's profiles. I actually have had good results with Costco, and they get decent reviews from casual (non-pro) photographers because they have high volume (fresh supplies) and do seem to color calibrate. SnapFish has been pretty bad for me, just washed out color, not "off" like it sounds like you had.

bisous
08-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Thanks, this is really helpful! It would be great if Costco would work out--cheap and so convenient for us! I think I'll show this to DH and see if we can get better results. And we'll avoid Snapfish for sure!

alien_host
08-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Definitely turn OFF the Auto-Correct for Costco. I've made that mistake a bunch of times. I think it's just before you check-out.

lele
08-05-2011, 05:31 PM
A photographer friend recommended Adoramapix.com -- they don't color correct.

nfowife
08-05-2011, 05:36 PM
For pics to hang I like mpix.

AnnieW625
08-05-2011, 06:05 PM
I usually do Costco and when I remember to turn off the auto correct they turn out fine. I also much prefer to have them printed on matte paper. I forgot last time on some enlargements I had done so I need to reorder them. I have also used Snapfish local print (and get them at Walgreens).

dhano923
08-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Costco user here too. DH does photography as a hobby (landscape and nature) and we also have a commercial photo printer at home, but it's more cost effective to print "everyday" pics at Costco. We edit them in Photoshop if needed and then turn the auto correct option off during the checkout process.

LMPC
08-05-2011, 09:13 PM
For pics to hang I like mpix.
Another vote for mpix