PDA

View Full Version : Any San Diego ladies here that can tell me of some good neighborhoods to look into?

bw52
08-05-2011, 07:06 PM
We're most likely moving there soon. I'm looking for info from people who live there about good areas to look into. Dh will be working just south of the Miramar base and North of Montgomery Field. We're looking for very family-friendly areas within 30 minutes of his work (less is better). Safe, clean, good family areas for a family with small children. What areas do you recommend? And any areas to specifically avoid.

Thanks for any help!

Twoboos
08-05-2011, 07:11 PM
MIL lives in Scripps Ranch, which seems nice when we visit. :) I am not sure of the location, but definitely near Miramar. (Those jets scare the bejezuz out of me when we're there!) Might be more east-ish?

joules
08-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Scripps Ranch is really nice. SIL and BIL live there.

We live just one exit north of Scripps in a little area called Sabre Springs. I like our location a lot. Close to Scripps (one exit to the south) and close to the Carmel Mountain area (one exit north) where there's a lot of restaurants and places to shop (TJs, In-n-Out, Marshalls, Olive Garden, HomeDepot, etc..). Our location also makes it easy to get to WalMart and Costco.

If you can afford it, Carmel Valley is really nice too (more west, closer to the beach). A bit further for your DH, but definitely w/in 30 mins.

amldaley
08-05-2011, 07:37 PM
We lived in Sabre Springs and absolutely loved the location. DH worked aboard MCAS Miramar and I worked everywhere from downtown to Miramar to Pendleton. I would also consider Poway, Carmel Mt Ranch & maybe Rancho Bernardo if were to go back there.

kaitlyns.mom
08-06-2011, 03:56 AM
I grew up in Poway/Rancho Bernardo and would consider living there again if we were to move back to SD. The Poway Unified School District has always been wonderful.

ged
08-06-2011, 04:35 AM
Scripps Ranch is really nice. SIL and BIL live there.

We live just one exit north of Scripps in a little area called Sabre Springs. I like our location a lot. Close to Scripps (one exit to the south) and close to the Carmel Mountain area (one exit north) where there's a lot of restaurants and places to shop (TJs, In-n-Out, Marshalls, Olive Garden, HomeDepot, etc..). Our location also makes it easy to get to WalMart and Costco.

If you can afford it, Carmel Valley is really nice too (more west, closer to the beach). A bit further for your DH, but definitely w/in 30 mins.

I def. agree! Fortunately, Scripps Ranch now has a TJs!

Also, of course, there are neighborhoods to the West, like University City and La Jolla, or perhaps Clairemont. You may make the 30 minute commute timeframe if you live in University City or certain parts of La Jolla.

If you want to be south of the base, we have friends in Tierrasanta and they like it there, too.

In general, school districts directly N /NE of SDUSD rank better (Del Mar, Carmel Valley, Poway, etc) , but we had a fantastic, though limited, experience at Jerabek Elementary (SDUSD, Scripps Ranch).

anamika
08-06-2011, 04:58 AM
We lived in Sabre Springs and absolutely loved the location. DH worked aboard MCAS Miramar and I worked everywhere from downtown to Miramar to Pendleton. I would also consider Poway, Carmel Mt Ranch & maybe Rancho Bernardo if were to go back there.

Hey, we lived in Sabre Springs too! Funny, when I lived there not many people had heard of it. I thought it was a great area. We moved before DD went to school, but we were told the schools were really good.

bw52
08-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks. We'll look into those areas. They sound nice. Dh is really set on a short commute. He prefers 15 minutes and no freeway, but we'll see, so... does anyone know much about Tierrasanta? He likes it b/c it's closer, but is it nice?

How long would you guess it would take from Sabre Springs or Scripps Ranch to the S of Miramar base (Balboa Ave)? On a normal, rush hour work day.

sariana
08-06-2011, 12:31 PM
When I saw your post, I was going to mention Tierrasanta, and I was surprised that no one else did. It has been a long time since I have been there, so maybe it is not as nice anymore?? (We didn't live there, but one of DH's shipmates did, and I used to visit his wife there.)

pinay
08-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Tierrasanta can be tricky- tons of military housing so you have the potential transience of military families, but it's definitely family friendly. There are some really great houses/neighborhoods in Tierrasanta that are closer to the 52 freeway off the Santo Rd exit that you might want to look into.

Scripps Ranch is also nice, and not far at all from Miramar. Clairemont is west of that area and has some great neighborhoods, you would basically just be taking surface streets to get there from Miramar. Rancho Penasquitos is also a good area to look into, great schools and relatively affordable.

joules
08-06-2011, 05:13 PM
How long would you guess it would take from Sabre Springs or Scripps Ranch to the S of Miramar base (Balboa Ave)? On a normal, rush hour work day.

I can time this for you on Monday. I work downtown so I pass by Miramar and Balboa everyday on my way to work. I would guess no more than 20-25 mins?

Downtown is about 19 miles from here. It takes me about 30 mins. There really isn't much traffic. I only hit some traffic when I get to the downtown area.

I don't know anything about Tierrasanta.

eta: I think my commute is against traffic. Most of the time, the opposite side of the freeway has way more traffic than my side.

mommyp
08-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Those are all good areas. It's hard to avoid the freeway though! You'll probably be best off staying south of the 56.

bw52
08-07-2011, 11:10 PM
I can time this for you on Monday. I work downtown so I pass by Miramar and Balboa everyday on my way to work. I would guess no more than 20-25 mins?

Downtown is about 19 miles from here. It takes me about 30 mins. There really isn't much traffic. I only hit some traffic when I get to the downtown area.

Thanks. That would be great. I'm hoping to convince dh that these areas would really only be a short drive away on a typical day. :)

amldaley
08-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Hey, we lived in Sabre Springs too! Funny, when I lived there not many people had heard of it. I thought it was a great area. We moved before DD went to school, but we were told the schools were really good.

We left in 2003. DH has been back a couple of times and I have a friend who just moved there. They both said the amount of development since we left in HUGE. When we lived there, there was a little park and the base of the hill we lived on and a retirement home. They are both gone now and condos have been built there. But both have said the area is still really nice. I thought it was ideally situated for commuting and shopping.

lhafer
08-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Can't say that I've been there, just wanted to send you this forum link: http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-diego/

joules
08-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Sorry I wasn't able to do this Monday b/c I had a Dr's appointment and didn't actually leave for work until 10:30.

We are about 3 or 4 lights from the freeway entrance. I left at 8:15am. It took me 8 mins to get to the Miramar exit. 14 mins to get to the Balboa exit (off the 163). It's a bit slower in the beginning when I first get on the freeway (but I wouldn't call it traffic), but most of the way I was doing 70. There are a lot of cars, but no traffic.

bw52
08-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Sorry I wasn't able to do this Monday b/c I had a Dr's appointment and didn't actually leave for work until 10:30.

We are about 3 or 4 lights from the freeway entrance. I left at 8:15am. It took me 8 mins to get to the Miramar exit. 14 mins to get to the Balboa exit (off the 163). It's a bit slower in the beginning when I first get on the freeway (but I wouldn't call it traffic), but most of the way I was doing 70. There are a lot of cars, but no traffic.

Thanks so much!

This is from Sabre Springs, right?

joules
08-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Yes this is from Sabre Springs (the Poway/Rancho Penasquitos exit and the 15).