PDA

View Full Version : Shhhhhh....which Mac should I get?

WatchingThemGrow
08-05-2011, 08:40 PM
DH is a programmer, has historically only allowed me to have Dell laptops. I'm going through them every 2 years. Today's issue is the big yellow/blue stripe (2.5") just left of center on my display. Yes, my laptop gets dropped, smushed, thrown up on, spilled on, etc. We don't have an office, even a desk in our small home, so it stays on the couch.

Anyway, it is tax free weekend here, and I'm about to go blind looking at the messed up display. What should I get for just general stuff - BBBing, hopefully one day making photobooks for the DC, etc. I'd like to try to convince him I need a mac. He'll likely check in when we're going to bed so he can see what's happened on the BBB today. (Hi honey!:waving4:)

LMPC
08-05-2011, 09:07 PM
I have no idea which mac you should get but as the wife of a programmer, I LOL'd at your post!!! The last laptop I got, DH just ordered for me because I mentioned I needed a new one...I was not consulted at all in the purchase. Just showed up on the doorstep one day!

SkyrMommy
08-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Mac Book Pro 15", enough screen and computing power to be great for photo editing and general use... it's would be on my wish list if I hadn't stuck with my desktop and splurged for an iPad2.

WatchingThemGrow
08-05-2011, 09:21 PM
shoot, he's almost ready to order me a ChromeBook. ugh. the teacher in me is longing for my macs of yesteryear. post lots, friends :) more convincing is needed. He'll be reading soon as we'll be going to bed shortly.

alirebco
08-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Macbook Pro!

ahisma
08-05-2011, 09:23 PM
The basic Macbook out of the box is more than sufficient. Mine is 3+ years old and going strong. I've dragged it all over the place (law student) and it's performed flawlessly. I run Photoshop PS4 on it, lightroom, etc. (all much more intensive than photobook apps) and haven't had any problems.

You really only *need* to upgrade if you're doing super intensive graphics work or are playing intensive games.

LD92599
08-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Air all the way!!

rin
08-05-2011, 09:30 PM
The basic Macbook out of the box is more than sufficient. Mine is 3+ years old and going strong. I've dragged it all over the place (law student) and it's performed flawlessly. I run Photoshop PS4 on it, lightroom, etc. (all much more intensive than photobook apps) and haven't had any problems.

You really only *need* to upgrade if you're doing super intensive graphics work or are playing intensive games.

:yeahthat:

I love my Mac! I got it almost 3 years ago and it's still in great shape. Love, love, love. I do audio file work & use a few sound processing programs and have never had any problems with speed/etc.

WatchingThemGrow
08-05-2011, 09:34 PM
I told him I wanted an Air and he firmly said, "No, no, no, no. You're getting a Samsung series 5 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B004Z6NV4C). I'm about to order it." waaaaah. I can pick white for the outside and dream, right?

kijip
08-05-2011, 10:10 PM
I have had some lemon Mac laptops and they are getting really finicky about what they will and will not fix with AppleCare (which itself is $$$) so I would not get one and treat it the way that you describe. I would put it in a case and try to use it on tables only. I suppose (and HOPE) that the unibody versions they sell now are better but we had 2 previous MacBook Pros that were BOTH almost entirely replaced piece by piece under Applecare and we are GENTLE with them. Before that, my iBook was a lemon. I am soured at least for now on them for laptops, but we love our iMac.

khm
08-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Can you get an ottoman? My husband and I both have huge widescreen laptops and the ottoman is fantastic for them. It seems "safer" than homing them on the couch! :)

WatchingThemGrow
08-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Can you get an ottoman? My husband and I both have huge widescreen laptops and the ottoman is fantastic for them. It seems "safer" than homing them on the couch! :)
In our next house, maybe. We've just got too many people (5) in 1300-1400 sf. An ottoman would mean zero space in our tiny living room.

ahisma
08-05-2011, 10:30 PM
I have had some lemon Mac laptops and they are getting really finicky about what they will and will not fix with AppleCare (which itself is $$$) so I would not get one and treat it the way that you describe. I would put it in a case and try to use it on tables only. I suppose (and HOPE) that the unibody versions they sell now are better but we had 2 previous MacBook Pros that were BOTH almost entirely replaced piece by piece under Applecare and we are GENTLE with them. Before that, my iBook was a lemon. I am soured at least for now on them for laptops, but we love our iMac.

They must have improved, because DH's and mine have lived on the sofa for years! I try to tuck mine under the sofa, but he never remembers with his. I'm embarrassed to count how many times the boys have dropped that thing, but it keeps on chugging along. I know it's a horrible way to treat it, but there is just no changing some of DH's habits, I suppose.

ThreeofUs
08-05-2011, 10:37 PM
The basic Macbook out of the box is more than sufficient. Mine is 3+ years old and going strong.

:yeahthat:

Get a Macbook. It's survived my DH, my kids, his grad students, his extremely chaotic lab, deployments, military aircraft, supercomputing, and his regular professorly activities.

ETA: He wishes he had a Macbook Pro.

Globetrotter
08-08-2011, 03:13 AM
Did you get it?

I like my macbook pro. I got the 17" since I will be doing a lot of editing on this, and it's our main computer now. If you can do without portability, an iMac is a better bet and more reliable, but I wanted the flexibility.

I will warn you, however, that the transition hasn't been as smooth as I thought it would be. I did purchase the plan that allows me to have unlimited private sessions with someone who can set it up and teach me how to use it, and that has been a great investment for me. There are still some issues to sort out.

IMO iPhoto is less user friendly than Picasa, plus not all websites work smoothly with iphoto (there are awkward workarounds), but there are a few cool features. You can use Picasa for mac, if you want.

SpaceGal
08-08-2011, 06:58 AM
I would vote Macbook (but they don't make them anymore so you'd get a refurb or new not from Apple.com). The Macbook Pro is nice too if you can afford it too...as well as the Air.

I had my Powerbook for 6 years prior to DH surprising me with my Macbook. He currently plays around with my old Powerbook, which still works and functions fine. And I've had my Macbook for over two years now...nearly three and love it. I haven't run into virus security issues and what not, unlike DH or my mom with their silly PCs. Easy to use.

Granted I am careful with it and I don't leave it on the couch or anything. It's always on a table...I don't have a desk but either the kitchen or dining table.

WatchingThemGrow
08-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Did you get it?

Not this time. I actually just got a huge flat screen monitor the ILs had, plus a new wireless keyboard and mouse that was $30 at Best Buy. We'll use the external monitor and keyboard to turn my laptop into a desktop so the kids can do Starfall or look at Flickr or youtube playlists or whatever.

We decided that we'd rather have the $$$ right now to buy a new house. Thanks for the recs, though! As predicted, DH settled into bed and pulled up the BBB on his nook to find my mac request. He giggled.