PDA

View Full Version : Would you send this email?

bisous
08-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Backstory: I am having a 3rd section. I see midwives for my prenatal appointments but obviously will have an OB deliver the baby. I haven't seen her since April and my next appointment with her is Aug. 26th--at which point we'll set an appointment for the section--which will be only about 2 weeks later! I'm starting to freak out that I won't get a very good time--last time around my scheduled section was for 5:30 on a Friday night!

So here's the email:

Dear Dr. So and So,

How are you? It has been awhile since we've spoken. All is going well with me and the baby and I'm looking forward to our next appointment on August 26th. That said, I'm starting to think that perhaps we should set a date for the c-section now, which we can (of course) change if we discover anything amiss in our appointment.

It is my understanding that right around the 39th week is optimum for c-section delivery--allowing for full lung development but somewhat before the "average" woman goes into a natural labor. The day I reach 39 weeks will be Sept. 8th. Would it be possible to schedule something for that morning?

If that isn't possible, I completely understand. I just thought I would ask!

Thank you!

Jennifer.....

What do you think? Any harm in asking? I'm itching for a date/time....

lalasmama
08-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Of course there's no harm in asking, but at our office, without extenuating circumastances, we schedule at 40 weeks, and "we" don't really even schedule. We call the hospital, tell them a few day window, and policy says we take the first available. In other words, for scheduled sections, we are the we don't really have much of a say, despite the fact that we are the doctor's office. Sometimes they fit us in with a special request, but it's gotta be one heck of a reason (ie, husband is going to be home on military leave for a few days; older child is having surgery around anticipated section day, etc).

JBaxter
08-05-2011, 09:53 PM
I scheduled my induction date for 41 weeks at 36 weeks. I had a history of not going into labor and the ultrasounds showed him on target for 10lbs ( he was) all I did was tell the doc I wanted X day he picked up the phone told his scheduler and they put me on that day.

"I" would call the office Monday and say I want to schedule this Csection now so I can arrange child care. Dont take no for an answer. The doctors here have scheduled slots for csections/ inductions. Each group are allowed so many each week on certain days.

infomama
08-05-2011, 09:59 PM
If this is something you want then call and schedule it. I wouldn't be wishy washy about it. As long as you are not asking for something that is medically unsafe/unnecessary or they are booked up that day I don't see why they would say no.

khm
08-05-2011, 10:00 PM
I'd call ASAP. They scheduled my second months and months in advance. Felt weird, but that's what the doc recommended. (I had to call the hospital surgery unit.)

My first was breech and we had a failed version attempt at 38.5-ish weeks, we weren't able to secure a slot until 40 weeks, which was fine, but it really was the first available "scheduled" slot.