PDA

View Full Version : I have a case of "It's not fair!"-itis...

ha98ed14
08-05-2011, 10:38 PM
But I swear to God, It's NOT! Ugh! I'm becoming such the whiner. DH won't talk to me anymore because all he says is, "Why do you to these things if they make you so mad..." IRT to signing DD up for the pre-school that requires both parents to be at the work day.

NOW I am P.O.'d because the private swim teacher that a bunch of mom friends have hired to teach our kids swim lessons has decided to divide the "travel costs" $15/session over the number of families instead of the number of kids. I have one. Some families have four. The travel fee takes the cost of my 5-lesson-package from $65 to $80. Whereas people who are buying 3 5-lesson-packages go from a cost of $195 to $210. That means my costs go up 23% whereas the 3 packages family goes up by 7%. That really feels unfair to me! But maybe I should just shut up about it. Otherwise I look like the whiner that I am. :D But I do have to say, one of the reasons we have one is so that we *can* give her things like swimming lessons. WWYD? Shut up or try to negotiate and get her to divide the travel costs over the number of children?

StantonHyde
08-05-2011, 10:48 PM
This is where you suck it up and deal. REally--the whole "we have one so we can afford things" argument starts to get stale after a while. Sometimes you come out ahead with one and sometimes you don't. It all evens out in the end. Just grin and bear it!

sste
08-05-2011, 10:52 PM
My friend started seeing a therapist who has been working with her on this "worry dollars" concept - - nothing to do with money. The idea is you only have so many things in a week - - a finite budget - - of things to get worried and stressed and aggravated about. So, you need to ask yourself "Is X worth "spending" some of my worry dollars." Sounds cheesy but I think it applies in this instance and I agree with stantonhyde not worth it!

If you absolutely need something to make you feel better about the fairness aspect I will say that many lessons and classes and teachers offer sibling discounts. So, if it makes you feel better I would view this as a kind of de facto sibling discount.

ha98ed14
08-05-2011, 10:57 PM
This is where you suck it up and deal. REally--the whole "we have one so we can afford things" argument starts to get stale after a while. Sometimes you come out ahead with one and sometimes you don't. It all evens out in the end. Just grin and bear it!

Yeah, I can imagine. But in our case, I do have to insist that is really is true. If I had 2+, there's no way I could afford things like this for both/all kids. STILL, I believe you that people with more than one DC get tired of hearing the argument. Ok, I'm sucking it up.

jenfromnj
08-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Yeah, I can imagine. But in our case, I do have to insist that is really is true. If I had 2+, there's no way I could afford things like this for both/all kids. STILL, I believe you that people with more than one DC get tired of hearing the argument. Ok, I'm sucking it up.

I think that's probably the best plan, though I do understand why your knee jerk reaction was that it was unfair. As the fellow parent of an only child, I get where you're coming from.

g-mama
08-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Yeah, you need to suck it up. Kinda like when you go out to dinner with a group and the bill is split evenly, notwithstanding that some people got drinks or more expensive meals than others did. You just have to deal. You would look awful if you got the teacher to reconfigure the costs and your friends found out you had asked her to. It's not worth it...at all.

JBaxter
08-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Yup life isnt always fair.... Im in agreement with the others suck it up

AnnieW625
08-05-2011, 11:34 PM
$16 for a private lesson is awesome, that is what we pay including the $2 to park at Long Beach State; lessons are 20 minutes. Last year I was paying $22 a lesson (two other places near us charge $24 or $26 a lesson) and I knew that I wouldn't be able to do that again with two kids so I am just happy a found a cheaper alternative that I will eventually be able to do with both girls in 2 yrs. Plus I am happy with the lessons, DD1 loves the water, and she is so proud of what she has learned.

niccig
08-05-2011, 11:44 PM
I call it swings and roundabouts. On this swing you may come out down, but on the roundabout, you catch up.

Doesn't make as much sense here as most people go "whats a roundabout?" - the road roundabout where you go around in a circle.

Melanie
08-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Yeah, you need to suck it up. Kinda like when you go out to dinner with a group and the bill is split evenly, notwithstanding that some people got drinks or more expensive meals than others did. You just have to deal. You would look awful if you got the teacher to reconfigure the costs and your friends found out you had asked her to. It's not worth it...at all.

I agree. And the above situation really irritates me and I actually swore off group dinners with a group of drinkers for a while because if it, but I paid dearly for it the last time that is for sure. ETA: But yes, it is irritating that NO ONE else in the group pointed out it should be split by children to be fair. Whenever we have situations like this we would do that b/c it IS just the fair way to do it.

ha98ed14
08-06-2011, 02:16 AM
Ok. Got it. Point taken. I'm sucking it up and will part (unhappily) with my $15, but keep it to myself. I got the message. No need to hammer it home. Thanks for helping me keep my whining under control. ;)

Melaine
08-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Where is this teacher "traveling" from? That's a big chunk for gas money.

plusbellelavie
08-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Where is this teacher "traveling" from? That's a big chunk for gas money.

:yeahthat: